News: PFT: David Irving wants credit for NFL's marijuana study

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
David Irving wants credit for NFL's marijuana study

gettyimages-630227274-e1551474412448.jpg

A few days after the NFL suspended David Irving indefinitely for violating the league's substance abuse policy, the free agent defensive tackle posted a video on social media of him smoking marijua...

Read Full Story

Eanwen

Reaction score
I really hate how newspapers (and websites) make their headlines. What should be the takeaway here is that the NFL is studying using mjj for pain management, Irving's one of the players who brought that subject up and he's happy that he NFL is moving in that direction, but I guess you'd get less clicks that way.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really hate how newspapers (and websites) make their headlines. What should be the takeaway here is that the NFL is studying using mjj for pain management, Irving's one of the players who brought that subject up and he's happy that he NFL is moving in that direction, but I guess you'd get less clicks that way.
I agree with the abuse of click-bait headlines, but it's not really that far off in this case.

From the article ..

“Honestly, I’m happy, but I feel like I need some credit, though. Really,” Irving told Jonathan Jones of SI.com. “Everyone was telling me how crazy I am and, what, two months after I make that stand they’re now openly making changes and having discussions. I love it.”

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
To my thinking, David Irving will be noted far more for having wasted an otherwise promising career over his pot habit than ever being a positive influence for it. He was afforded more than a generous opportunity to succeed and displayed little more than a foolhardy determination to cheat himself, his family and his team from reaping the benefits of an otherwise immense talent. His distaste for the sport of football ultimately betrayed him, along with a foolish dependency upon smoking cannabis, despite the fact that it's was illegal and forbidden by the NFL at the time. He's ultimately anything but the heroic campaigner that he'd vainly prefer to disguise himself as.

Last edited:

plymkr

Reaction score
I agree with the abuse of click-bait headlines, but it's not really that far off in this case.

From the article ..

“Honestly, I’m happy, but I feel like I need some credit, though. Really,” Irving told Jonathan Jones of SI.com. “Everyone was telling me how crazy I am and, what, two months after I make that stand they’re now openly making changes and having discussions. I love it.”
He made a stand? Basically he stood for what you should not use the internet for.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Everyone was bashing him and he was right the whole time. Opioids is what is destroying this country and people started listening not after he said something but after others started to chime in on what he said. I love how he said ** to the NFL and the $

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Everyone was bashing him and he was right the whole time. Opioids is what is destroying this country and people started listening not after he said something but after others started to chime in on what he said. I love how he said ** to the NFL and the $
Oh, please. The guy has been smoking pot for many years. He's addicted to it. His choice. Doesn't mean everyone else has to approve or go along with it.

Sydla

Reaction score

LOL.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Dude said he didn't like football and he'd rather smoke pot. Ricky Williams did the same thing. He's lazy and didn't want to follow the rules. More money for other people who aren't drug (yeah, even if legal it's still a mild hallucinogenic drug) addicts.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Did he say he wanted "ALL" the credit or "SOME" of the credit? Because people have been fighting for marijuana to be legalized for some time now. And with a couple of states now legalizing it, the NFL is questioning it's own policies. To me, medicinal marijuana is better than the opioids they give players for pain.

I think the NFL should just take the easy way out on this one and just stop testing for marijuana. AKA stop putting your players in the negative spotlight over marijuana, when its legal in certain states.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Bottom line.....all the NFL can do is stop testing for it which is any employers perogitive.........they can't legalize it, nor prescribe it.

Jipper

Reaction score
using weed for medical uses and using weed to get high for medical needs are different.

last time I checked smoking out of a gas mask isn't considered the medical application, he did that right?

Flamma

Reaction score
The league has no real reason to even be testing for it. Like any other job they test for it only when being under the influence can be a danger to yourself or others. Which makes the business liable. This is usually when you drive or operate machinery as your job. The only thing the NFL is accomplishing by testing for weed is to bring to light just how many players use it. Something that would otherwise be unknown. So IMO Goodell should be suspended for actions detrimental to the league.

A more reasonable policy, or one that actually makes sense is to suspend players if the get arrested for, or some video pops up with the player in possession or using. Suspend them under the conduct policy only in those cases. Otherwise what's the point?