News: PFT: Defensive coordinators already knew blueprint to stop Cowboys

Aven8

Reaction score
I dunno. When a team sells out to take away part of your game and does it with success, you can only bang your head against the wall for so long.

I hear you, but we started in 5 wide and stayed there for awhile. I think we threw on almost every down the first few series.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
I dunno. When a team sells out to take away part of your game and does it with success, you can only bang your head against the wall for so long.
They ran the ball 4 times in the 1st half. They didn't try.

I think the Denver fronts caused Dak to check out of most of the run plays.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Stop the run... that's the "blueprint". Good luck if you can do it.

I agree with the sentiment, but I think you have to make some adjustments at some point if you seriously intend to win a game. I don’t buy the idea that we play big boy man-up ball and if you can stop us so be it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It wasn't just cb coverage, it was pressuring dak.
Do that and he throws off target.
The big surprise was holding ee to
8 yards.
I don't think it took but 6 to do it.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
until they recommit to the run game and the qb play improves they are going to struggle the coaching needs to be way better also

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Dak also made some terrible reads and was not accurate in that game.

He forced quite a few passes to Dez when the defense was shaded towards him and his read should of been else where.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I agree with the sentiment, but I think you have to make some adjustments at some point if you seriously intend to win a game. I don’t buy the idea that we play big boy man-up ball and if you can stop us so be it.
Until the Dak to Dez connection is a serious threat and or another receiver steps up, it's just too easy to minimize our passing game when the running game is shut down. So, the blueprint I suggested stands. Stopping our running game is not an easy task, so good luck to you if you think you can do it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Broncos did something no other team has done in the 17 games Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott have played together. (Elliott sat out the Week 17 game last season.) Denver stopped both. Prescott threw two interceptions, and Elliott rushed for a career-low 8 yards on a career-low nine carries. Now comes the ridiculous notion [more]
b.gif

Continue reading...
no surprises. load the box, limit dak. but you need defensive personnel that can execute and Broncos had it. great corners that cover 1 on 1 and allowed them to load the box, with a very good front 7. its all about matchups and we just didn't match up well, and we had a terrible game plan, and execution and effort to make it even worse.

what was concerning was the defense and it all came down to bad tackling and then it snow balled. we also had a bad defensive game plan and bad execution and never adjusted.

StarHead69

Reaction score
I've been saying it all week...
After nearly an hour to make adjustments, we came out and ran the exact same plays. I'm guessing that linehan and marinelli used the delay to take a nap.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Sometimes it's just that simple..

"So as Cardinals coach Bruce Arians responded when asked if the Broncos had provided other teams with the blueprint on how to shut down the Cowboys offense, “If you can borrow Denver’s players.”

Oh yah, just stop the run. LOL

Good luck with that if you dont have a Denver D playing at home. And good luck stopping both as well. I feel sorry for Arizona this week. The Cowboys are going to destroy them.

links18

Reaction score
Well, if what you are doing isn't working in a game, might be time to make some adjustments. Its on the coaches to figure out what works to win games. Denver's defense might be good, but they aren't the 85 Bears. And you would of thought Elway came out of retirement the way Simien was carving us up.

sbark

Reaction score
Or a year learning how to be an NFL QB - Having a Sammy Watkins doesnt hurt either.
.......they have a nice receiving corp.......Watkins deep, Kupp is a very nice young possession, T.Austin multi-tool.........

Goff right now, I'd have to say is all of a sudden ahead of Wentz and Dak........coaching/scheme

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Seriously, in about 14 games we played last year, the defensive game plan was pretty much 'take away the run, force Dak to win the game in the air'.

Only ONE team made that plan work: New York. Minnesota *almost* pulled it off too.

Right. I think people forget the Ravens game too.

The Ravens DID stop our run last year. But then Dak tore their secondary apart.

Not many teams have the personnel (and high altitude-- yea I said it) to shut down both.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The offense in the Denver game was affected as much by the Cowboys own defense, as the D of the Broncos. Got behind early and couldn't stop them, so we tried to air it out. Meanwhile, the Broncos know exactly what we are doing, so they sell out to get to Dak. It was a perfect storm that started with terrible coaching and continued with awful execution.

TheHerd

Reaction score
11 of the first 14 plays were passes. We weren't banging or head against the wall, we weren't trying.

TheHerd

Reaction score
.......they have a nice receiving corp.......Watkins deep, Kupp is a very nice young possession, T.Austin multi-tool.........

Goff right now, I'd have to say is all of a sudden ahead of Wentz and Dak........coaching/scheme

Opponents matter. If the Rams play in Denver next weekend, I think Goff looks pretty bad. I might be wrong.

VACowboy

Reaction score
11 of the first 14 plays were passes. We weren't banging or head against the wall, we weren't trying.
I guess what does and does not constitute “banging your head“ is a subjective thing. To me, eight rushes for 9 yards is banging your head against the wall.

I’m not going to argue that the play calling shouldn’t have been different. I just don’t think the Cowboys got thrashed by 25 points because they didn’t run the ball enough. I think the Cowboys got thrashed by 25 points because Denver sold out to stop the run and Dallas could not take advantage of the matchups they were given in the passing game because of an All Pro defensive backfield and the best pass rush in the league. It didn’t help that the Denver offense marched up and down the field at will. But my gripe is with Garrett’s refusal to adapt to anything at anytime. I’ve been begging for a little creativity for years. Last year was a nice reprieve, but through two games it looks like a lot of the stuff that was added to the offense specifically for Prescott has disappeared from the playbook. Maybe it just looks that way because we’ve played two of the best defenses in the league so far. Arizona is no slouch, but they are not Denver. It will be interesting to see how many teams are able to do to the Cowboys what the Broncos did to them Sunday afternoon. My money says not many.