News: PFT: Defensive coordinators already knew blueprint to stop Cowboys

plasticman

Reaction score
So now here comes the Cardinals...

Their CB was 1st team All-Pro in 2015. He was only a pro Bowler last season.....How many freakin' CB's make the Pro Bowl, 40? One of their safeties is also a season removed from being a 1st team All-Pro

Both outside LB's had double digit sacks last season....Oh boy, is it just me or is everyone else getting fed up with 3-4 defenses?

Last season the Cardinal defense was ranked #1 in lowest opponent average yards per rush....more good news.

I would say now is the time for our offensive line to understand this simple fact:

When you are considered the best then you had better darn well play the best. Your opponents will always play their best game. Playing the best always motivates a team to gauge themselves with their performance against you. Your reputation does not scare them, it inspires them.

Hopefully, they have now learned this. if not, then this Cardinal game on Monday Night Football should drive it home.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
So going the free agent route on defense > home grown, team drafted route on offense.

Those free agent signing by Denver really paid off for them.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Only team I can think of that can maybe mirror Denver on defense is Philly. I still think they just had a bad game as the Gents Dline is awesome. Better than Denver IMO. Snacks was blowing things up all game.
CHJ and Talib are so much better than the Eagles corners though.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
The passing game is not explosive enough to win a championship and a lot of that is due to Garrett's offensive style. This vanilla run/pass balanced offense that Garrett wants to copy from the 90's teams will not get us close to a championship, just like it only got us to the Divisional Round with Romo.

Let's look at history. The Cowboys play indoors. In the last 30 years, only 3 indoor teams have won Super Bowls (1999 Rams, 2006 Colts, 2009 Saints). What did all 3 of those teams have in common? Great passing offenses (Top-5 in those seasons), 3 HOF QBs, and not really known for their defense. Historically, indoor teams haven't fielded many great defenses...it's very tough to play great defense when you're playing at least 8 games on a fast surface in no elements. That's why I don't ever see us having a great defense...not to the point that it can carry an offense to a championship like the Broncos or Seahawks.

Indoor teams have to be GREAT on offense to make up for their defense. People always talk about how the Cowboys wasted Romo's career by not giving him a better defense...well I actually think his career was wasted by not giving him a better scheme to work with and also more dynamic receivers. Imagine Romo with a Reggie Wayne/Marvin Harrison or Tory Holt/Isaac Bruce.

Is being a run-heavy team part of the championship formula? Yes, for most teams. But for indoor teams, the formula is a little different as history shows. Garrett wants a run-heavy, ball control offense but that is a style that is not sustainable for an indoor team with what will always be a mediocre defense.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The passing game is not explosive enough to win a championship and a lot of that is due to Garrett's offensive style. This vanilla run/pass balanced offense that Garrett wants to copy from the 90's teams will not get us close to a championship, just like it only got us to the Divisional Round with Romo.

Let's look at history. The Cowboys play indoors. In the last 30 years, only 3 indoor teams have won Super Bowls (1999 Rams, 2006 Colts, 2009 Saints). What did all 3 of those teams have in common? Great passing offenses (Top-5 in those seasons), 3 HOF QBs, and not really known for their defense. Historically, indoor teams haven't fielded many great defenses...it's very tough to play great defense when you're playing at least 8 games on a fast surface in no elements. That's why I don't ever see us having a great defense...not to the point that it can carry an offense to a championship like the Broncos or Seahawks.

Indoor teams have to be GREAT on offense to make up for their defense. People always talk about how the Cowboys wasted Romo's career by not giving him a better defense...well I actually think his career was wasted by not giving him a better scheme to work with and also more dynamic receivers. Imagine Romo with a Reggie Wayne/Marvin Harrison or Tory Holt/Isaac Bruce.

Is being a run-heavy team part of the championship formula? Yes, for most teams. But for indoor teams, the formula is a little different as history shows. Garrett wants a run-heavy, ball control offense but that is a style that is not sustainable for an indoor team with what will always be a mediocre defense.

Well thought out and produced! And historically true.

But I don't completely agree although I'm on board for a decent part of it. The formula is still TO Diff, pass defense Diff and pass offense Diff. Pass defense starts up front obviously so there's your great D. Pass offense is supplemented by run offense so there's the 90s and our offense. If you add 40 sacks and TOs to that then you are golden. And don't forget to add in the franchise QB.

That's the formula for winning.

What's the curve for the growth of indoor stadiums in the NFL? Add in the above to your equations to that answer and your pencil will be sharper.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Well thought out and produced! And historically true.

But I don't completely agree although I'm on board for a decent part of it. The formula is still TO Diff, pass defense Diff and pass offense Diff. Pass defense starts up front obviously so there's your great D. Pass offense is supplemented by run offense so there's the 90s and our offense. If you add 40 sacks and TOs to that then you are golden. And don't forget to add in the franchise QB.

That's the formula for winning.

What's the curve for the growth of indoor stadiums in the NFL? Add in the above to your equations to that answer and your pencil will be sharper.

This past game with Denver, the mixes were far from optimum on offense. Dez Bryant was over targeted, and the Red Zone running ability was not near 2016 standards.

That probably says more than a rogue concept riding into view. Get a balanced passing attack that highlight the real passing strengths of Dak Prescott, and bang the ball in the Red Zone...and see if the Dallas offense doesn't return as well,

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
This past game with Denver, the mixes were far from optimum on offense. Dez Bryant was over targeted, and the Red Zone running ability was not near 2016 standards.

That probably says more than a rogue concept riding into view. Get a balanced passing attack that highlight the real passing strengths of Dak Prescott, and bang the ball in the Red Zone...and see if the Dallas offense doesn't return as well,

We were talking generalities but that works.

CCBoy

Reaction score
We were talking generalities but that works.

This is the current status of Dallas on defense, that must change as well:

In this matchup, this is where the rubber meets the road. As bad as the Cardinals have been offensively inside the 30, the Cowboys have also been alarmingly bad. They allow 3.8 yards per play when opponents travel inside their 30, and opposing quarterbacks overall have a 128.5 rating passing. To make matters worse, in those trips they’ve allowed points 83 percent of the time.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...g-first-down-fixing-cowboys’-red-zone-defense

Lawrence with four sacks already, helps...but the defense has to make statements with it's play as well. If they bend, they can't also break.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Only team I can think of that can maybe mirror Denver on defense is Philly. I still think they just had a bad game as the Gents Dline is awesome. Better than Denver IMO. Snacks was blowing things up all game.
Eagles corners are three tiers below Denver's though. We will hit that weakness all game, I hope, when we play them.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Well the reason not many teams can do this is because must don’t have the dline and LBs AND DBs who can then play press coverage to make things harder on Dak. Denver is just stacked to do it all