News: PFT: Dez Bryant gets five years, $70 million from Cowboys

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Lots of speculation in your post.

Dallas did not "cave". They ended up right about where everyone figured they would. Their initial offers were surely not what they figured they'd end up at. It was a compromise by both parties and in the end, Dez is happy, Dallas is happy, and everyone figures it is a fair deal all the way around. That amount of guaranteed money was going to happen, period. That is about the going rate for a super star WR these days. By starting so low, Dallas probably managed to give less guaranteed money than they would have.

You don't know that Jerry's expectations for this season had anything to do with the deal. Just because a couple of mediots wrote an opinion piece about Jerry making it happen and going for broke, doesn't mean it is true. They pulled that out of their *** and are guessing, just like you are here.

Many people like face to face meetings, just like Jerry. The Jones' flying to talk to his agent means nothing more than Dallas was serious about making it work.

You may think you have it all figured out, but there are very few facts mingled in with your guesswork here.

lol what compromise did Dez make ??
1. jerry had to go to ny, condon did not come here. If jerry wanted a deal he had to go to condon which gave condon a edge.
2. up till now jerry wanted special clauses regarding supervision and G money. that was all dropped and dez got a standard contract
like any other of the recent contracts for cowboys.
3. they had to give a lot more in G money and a little more in yearly, not sure what kind of signing bonus they offered before.
4. I dont see where dez compromised at all, he was from what I read ok with the 12 mil last year but did not like the special clauses, and the G
money.
5. I never said it was a bad deal or not fair or not good for cowboys.
6. jerry and stephen thought dez would play under tag then realized he might not , so they were frantic to make a deal once they realized that.
7. if you dont think jerry thinks this is a SB year , I dont know what to say lol

DandyDon52

Reaction score
As I'm sure he did. Buy we did get a deal. The question is when would you have told Dez to sign his tender?

after the deadline, if he could still miss some games if he wanted to,
Jerry admitted he felt dez would miss games, they initially felt he would not miss games, but changed their minds, so what dez said and whatever else
convinced them he might indeed sit out some games.
so they were then forced to make a deal and that gave the edge to dez and condon.

It all turned out ok though, but dez is on his own now off the field.
I think he will do ok in that area.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
1. jerry had to go to ny, condon did not come here. If jerry wanted a deal he had to go to condon which gave condon a edge.
2. up till now jerry wanted special clauses regarding supervision and G money. that was all dropped and dez got a standard contract
like any other of the recent contracts for cowboys.
3. they had to give a lot more in G money and a little more in yearly, not sure what kind of signing bonus they offered before.
4. I dont see where dez compromised at all, he was from what I read ok with the 12 mil last year but did not like the special clauses, and the G
money.
5. I never said it was a bad deal or not fair or not good for cowboys.
6. jerry and stephen thought dez would play under tag then realized he might not , so they were frantic to make a deal once they realized that.
7. if you dont think jerry thinks this is a SB year , I dont know what to say lol

That is all guesswork.

1. You don't know that Jerry going to NY gave Condon an edge. Speculation
2. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything confirming that Dallas wanted behavior clauses that they have to give up. Maybe I just missed it though.
3. Dallas gave more guaranteed money than they were initially offering in the early stages of the negotiations. Nobody, including you knows what their final target was though. They could have ended up exactly where they wanted to be all along.
4. We don't know where Dez's starting point was at the beginning of negotiations. Word was that it was Megatron money he was after. If that is the case, then he came down plenty. The main thing I'm saying though, is that we don't know.
5. Usually, when one side or the other in a negotiation "caves", people usually end up with that side getting a poor deal.
6. So Jerry and Stephen were frantic? Talk about guesswork. You're building a story here and filling in the gaps as if you actually know what happened.
7. What I said was that you don't know if Jerry's expectations had any impact on the deal they gave Dez. Not that you didn't think the deal was fair. Jerry would have likely made this deal no matter what his expectations were for this coming season. I'm sure Jerry does have SB hopes... but we have no idea if it changed the deal or not.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Interesting take:

Bryant invoking his beautiful babies may have sounded convincing, but the leverage in his contract negotiation always existed in the beautiful wooden offices that likely line Valley Ranch. As the very smart Jason Fitzgerald at Over the Cap pointed out, the 120 percent raise Bryant would have gotten if Dallas had franchised him again next year would have been on the previous year’s salary, not on the number associated with the tag. That means every game Bryant sat out would only have depressed his potential salary for 2016 and encouraged Dallas to tag him again.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/p...me-to-do-away-with-the-franchise-designation/

DandyDon52

Reaction score
That is all guesswork.

1. You don't know that Jerry going to NY gave Condon an edge. Speculation
2. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything confirming that Dallas wanted behavior clauses that they have to give up. Maybe I just missed it though.
3. Dallas gave more guaranteed money than they were initially offering in the early stages of the negotiations. Nobody, including you knows what their final target was though. They could have ended up exactly where they wanted to be all along.
4. We don't know where Dez's starting point was at the beginning of negotiations. Word was that it was Megatron money he was after. If that is the case, then he came down plenty. The main thing I'm saying though, is that we don't know.
5. Usually, when one side or the other in a negotiation "caves", people usually end up with that side getting a poor deal.
6. So Jerry and Stephen were frantic? Talk about guesswork. You're building a story here and filling in the gaps as if you actually know what happened.
7. What I said was that you don't know if Jerry's expectations had any impact on the deal they gave Dez. Not that you didn't think the deal was fair. Jerry would have likely made this deal no matter what his expectations were for this coming season. I'm sure Jerry does have SB hopes... but we have no idea if it changed the deal or not.

lol I never said it was all facts or that i knew for sure, or that I was not speculating or guessing !
Of course I am guessing, so is everyone else.
People form opinions based on what they read and then speculate/ guess.
your definition of the word Cave is different from mine, and usually cave means to give in to demands, and you can add a adjective
to say how much of a cave it was, and I did not add one like alot, or major, or big.

Google dez, contract, supervision, clauses, etc and you will find the articles on that.
That was a major issue all along, cowboys wanted them, dez did not, in fact dez hated being supervised, and all the special rules for him.
he threw a fit one day at the cowboy facility over this, and was cussing and ranting about it.
one statement he made was "no one asks murray how many people live at his house".

I dont blame him for being tired of all that, and he wanted to be treated like the other players and he got that.
The contract dez just signed was the standard cowboy contract when it comes to off field issues, drug tests etc.

** and I dont know any of this for a fact lol, it is just based on what I read.

Rogah

Reaction score
He gave 2 years at the end which are essentially club options (i.e. non guaranteed) where he will make hardly anything more than he was unhappy with being scheduled to make this year under the franchise tag.

In fact, those final 2 years are so club friendly that I expect another holdout-threat when the time comes.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
@
AsthmaField

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ez-rules-in-new-deal-biggest-contract-hurdles
refers to the "dez rules" also some jerry speak and jerry thinks jay z is great lol

All he's saying is that there are no stipulations for behavior (more than are in any contract) in there. Jerry isn't saying they wanted to put them in there but didn't.

That only confirms they aren't there... which I don't think anyone will argue with you over. We all know they aren't there.

However, you were implying that Dallas wanted to put them in and they backed off of that. Speculation.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
lol I never said it was all facts or that i knew for sure, or that I was not speculating or guessing !
Of course I am guessing, so is everyone else.
People form opinions based on what they read and then speculate/ guess.
your definition of the word Cave is different from mine, and usually cave means to give in to demands, and you can add a adjective
to say how much of a cave it was, and I did not add one like alot, or major, or big.

Google dez, contract, supervision, clauses, etc and you will find the articles on that.
That was a major issue all along, cowboys wanted them, dez did not, in fact dez hated being supervised, and all the special rules for him.
he threw a fit one day at the cowboy facility over this, and was cussing and ranting about it.
one statement he made was "no one asks murray how many people live at his house".

I dont blame him for being tired of all that, and he wanted to be treated like the other players and he got that.
The contract dez just signed was the standard cowboy contract when it comes to off field issues, drug tests etc.

** and I dont know any of this for a fact lol, it is just based on what I read.

If you agreed with me, you should have just said so yesterday.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
He gave 2 years at the end which are essentially club options (i.e. non guaranteed) where he will make hardly anything more than he was unhappy with being scheduled to make this year under the franchise tag.

In fact, those final 2 years are so club friendly that I expect another holdout-threat when the time comes.

That is not a compromise, that is SOP.

His major concession was splitting the guarantees over 2 years.

If he tried to hold out after 3 years he would be laughed at. He would have just banked 45m and would be due another 25m hardly struggling. You could argue that he actually 'owed' Dallas 3m because the deal was for 14m per and he made 45m.