News: PFT: Dez Bryant gets five years, $70 million from Cowboys

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Nope. Many said not signing the tag didn't create leverage and that players were at risk of having that money rescinded.

Essentially saying Tom Condon didn't know what he was doing.

Risking the 12.8m is still a bad idea. Not signing the tender had no effect on the deal. Dallas never believed he would sit out.

Just because you say it all smugly doesn't make you correct.

I also said Dez would get a 7/94m deal with 41m guaranteed but it would be staggered. If you add 2 voidable years to his deal at 14 per it comes to 7/98m with 45m in staggered guarantees.

People around here had a real firm grasp on the situation and most would say this was a win for both sides.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Risking the 12.8m is still a bad idea. Not signing the tender had no effect on the deal. Dallas never believed he would sit out.

Just because you say it all smugly doesn't make you correct.

I also said Dez would get a 7/94m deal with 41m guaranteed but it would be staggered. If you add 2 voidable years to his deal at 14 per it comes to 7/98m with 45m in staggered guarantees.

People around here had a real firm grasp on the situation and most would say this was a win for both sides.

So you'd advise your clients to sign the tender, risk injury in mini camp and forfeit all your leverage? You'd have a very short lived practice.

But By all means feel free to write Tom Condon an open letter telling him how to better do his job.

Also do you realize you can't just plop on two unguaranteed years to this current deal and say you nailed it.

A 7 year pact would have to have significantly more guaranteed money than on a 5 year pact because you're giving the team more control and delaying your next dip into free agency. In that respect you were VERY far off in your guess.

But nice try.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So you'd advise your clients to sign the tender, risk injury in mini camp and forfeit all your leverage? You'd have a very short lived practice.

But By all means feel free to write Tom Condon an open letter telling him how to better do his job.

Also do you realize you can't just plop on two unguaranteed years to this current deal and say you nailed it.

A 7 year pact would have to have significantly more guaranteed money than on a 5 year pact because you're giving the team more control and delaying your next dip into free agency. In that respect you were VERY far off in your guess.

But nice try.

I would absolutely advise them to play under the tag if I knew they were not going to be able to work out a long term contract.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

But nice try.

why not people here tell Garrett how to do his, Jerry how to do his and players how to do their but Condon is beyond question? lol

There is a reason players who are tagged have went ahead and played under it few have sat an entire season and missed out of top 5 money.

Most around here are happy both sides got a deal done so what is your problem?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
5/70m...... 45m guaranteed........ 20m signing bonus
*2017 base salaries will guarantee March 2016

........................base.............pro-rate............cap hit............dead
2015................3m..................4m.....................7m...............32m
2016................9m..................4m....................13m..............38m
2017...............13m*.................4m....................17m.............25m
2018...............12.5m..............4m....................16.5m............8m.
2019...............12.5m..............4m....................16.5m............4m

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I would absolutely advise them to play under the tag if I knew they were not going to be able to work out a long term contract.

As I'm sure he did. Buy we did get a deal. The question is when would you have told Dez to sign his tender?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
why not people here tell Garrett how to do his, Jerry how to do his and players how to do their but Condon is beyond question? lol

There is a reason players who are tagged have went ahead and played under it few have sat an entire season and missed out of top 5 money.

Most around here are happy both sides got a deal done so what is your problem?

We aren't talking about Dez playing under the tag of he didn't get a deal.

We are talking about your criticism of the advice to not sign a tender before the 15th.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
As I'm sure he did. Buy we did get a deal. The question is when would you have told Dez to sign his tender?

Once the deadline passed. Dez was not going to attend the OTA while trying to work out a long term deal.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

As late as possible but the reports are that the Cowboys and CAA had an offer in place as early as Tuesday or Wednesday but were working on specific terms. If that's true, which I have no reason to believe it was not, the deal was never in real trouble. The negotiations were moving along so to me, it was never really an issue for Condon or Dez.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

But nice try.

It is better than risking injury NOT in camp and losing it all.

You are the one that told DAL to pay Dez 12.8m even if he tore his ACL, so maybe you should fire off one of those letters to Stephen Jones.

And they are called 'voidable years' for that exact reason, they are voidable and are only there for salary cap purposes. It is something DAL has generally done with all of it's big contracts like Free, Carr and Romo.

Just be happy Dez is signed long term and you don't have to deal with the unwashed masses for the next 15 months.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
We aren't talking about Dez playing under the tag of he didn't get a deal.

We are talking about your criticism of the advice to not sign a tender before the 15th.

My argument was based on not signing the Tag and sitting. I fully expected that he would sign a long term deal and that Jerry would be more active in the process and according to Jerry he made the tip to NY to meet with Condon and RocNation.

However if the deal was not done then of course I would have told Dez to play under the tag.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
my last thought on this is Dez and condon won the contract standoff.
I was thinking jones boys would not cave, but they did.
As soon as they flew to condon in NY, that said we are willing to give in on many issues.
Jones is thinking this is potential SB year and that helped dez alot.
Overall not a bad deal considering what others are getting, market value and all that.

They could have avoided a lot of problems by signing both dez and murray before the 2014 season started.
Had they offered good deals to both , and dez no xtra supervision clauses, they could have got them both for less than what
they got this year.
The jones were way too cheap in the initial offers , and wanted the supervision clauses, for dez, which was part of the reason dez did not
sign initial offer.
They wound up having to let all that go lol and pay more money! and they lost murray,
Which could be the only thing that might derail things this season.

but it is what it is , I have to accept it all and move forward.
Kudos to dez for holding firm for the no xtra supervision clauses, and 45 G.

I do however expect more out of him now, in regular season, and more in any future playoff games.

Lots of speculation in your post.

Dallas did not "cave". They ended up right about where everyone figured they would. Their initial offers were surely not what they figured they'd end up at. It was a compromise by both parties and in the end, Dez is happy, Dallas is happy, and everyone figures it is a fair deal all the way around. That amount of guaranteed money was going to happen, period. That is about the going rate for a super star WR these days. By starting so low, Dallas probably managed to give less guaranteed money than they would have.

You don't know that Jerry's expectations for this season had anything to do with the deal. Just because a couple of mediots wrote an opinion piece about Jerry making it happen and going for broke, doesn't mean it is true. They pulled that out of their *** and are guessing, just like you are here.

Many people like face to face meetings, just like Jerry. The Jones' flying to talk to his agent means nothing more than Dallas was serious about making it work.

You may think you have it all figured out, but there are very few facts mingled in with your guesswork here.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Lots of speculation in your post.

Dallas did not "cave". They ended up right about where everyone figured they would. Their initial offers were surely not what they figured they'd end up at. It was a compromise by both parties and in the end, Dez is happy, Dallas is happy, and everyone figures it is a fair deal all the way around. That amount of guaranteed money was going to happen, period. That is about the going rate for a super star WR these days. By starting so low, Dallas probably managed to give less guaranteed money than they would have.

You don't know that Jerry's expectations for this season had anything to do with the deal. Just because a couple of mediots wrote an opinion piece about Jerry making it happen and going for broke, doesn't mean it is true. They pulled that out of their *** and are guessing, just like you are here.

Many people like face to face meetings, just like Jerry. The Jones' flying to talk to his agent means nothing more than Dallas was serious about making it work.

You may think you have it all figured out, but there are very few facts mingled in with your guesswork here.

I agree. Caving in would have been paying over 16 mill a year avg that CJ got and that Dez wanted. I don't see a loser in this deal. Dallas is paying a high price for an elite player and Dez did not get exactly what he wanted but is one 2 highest paid WR in the game

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You know, a lot of times, when people get money, they have less or no motivation. Murray was playing for a contract, if he was signed before last season, you really think, he would of done what he did? Albert Haynesworthless, said he lost motivation, once he got paid.

well if that is true , he will suck in philly this year, and dez will suck here .
I think getting the huge paydays players get now days does cause them to relax and not play as hard as they did to get that big payday, but it is also
going to vary with different players.
Albert Haynesworthless was not a RKG, and his play reflected the type of person he was.
Murray is a hard worker, and will have something to prove, and want to earn the big checks he will get now.
I think Dez might also be the same, although I think he thinks he has already proven himself, so will he want to earn the big money he was just
paid is the question I have with him.
He likes to play and win regardless so theres that.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
It is better than risking injury NOT in camp and losing it all.

You are the one that told DAL to pay Dez 12.8m even if he tore his ACL, so maybe you should fire off one of those letters to Stephen Jones.

And they are called 'voidable years' for that exact reason, they are voidable and are only there for salary cap purposes. It is something DAL has generally done with all of it's big contracts like Free, Carr and Romo.

Just be happy Dez is signed long term and you don't have to deal with the unwashed masses for the next 15 months.

Exactly.. There for salary cap space to help the team if they restructure Dez without forcing them back to the negotiating table.

You don't think Dez and Condon would demand compensation for that?

Again... You'd have a short lived practice.