News: PFT: Ezekiel Elliott has privately said that he's planning a training-camp holdout

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Elliott on the field. But, holding out when you have a contract for two more years and you've seemed to have off the field issues pop up every year, I'm not sure what I do. Let him hold out and see if you have something in your 3rd round back? That's a bad plan, probably. I'm just not sure I'm all in right this minute.

Edited to add...no source for this rumor of course.
Florio at his best. He wants Zeke to holdout so bad. Florio has been hinting at this since last year. Zeke should holdout. He is the best player on the team. The optics look bad though because of the trouble he was getting into.

ShortRound

Reaction score
Tasty.

eNn08TS.gif

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well given the source - I'm skeptical.

However, if true - this potential holdout would be not be good for Zeke. While he is amazing on the field - his past issues and how the organization has stood behind him through everything, would irk most the fan base. Typically these holdouts, most the fans support the players. Not sure that would be the case here.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He's not underpaid. He's on a rookie contract, so he is paid exactly what he's supposed to be paid.
Rookie contracts, by definition, underpay players, relative to the market. The NFLPA wanted it because it's run by veterans and allows them to get a bigger piece of the pie. The Owners want it because it gives them cost control over players.

The only say rookies have is holding out - and Zeke is right to do it, as is Melvin Gordon, to a lesser extent. We're going to start seeing this with quarterbacks sooner than later.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is Weber going to be able to roll at camp? Let he and Pollard take the reps and give Elliott a drop dead date or bring in another back.

Common Sense

Reaction score
At this point, it's just a rumor. But it's worth asking that if Zeke were a Patriot and held out, would Belichick trade him and move on?

Between not knowing when he's going to get himself suspended again or holding out years before his contract is up, this kind of stuff puts the team's success in jeopardy. You don't commit $15M+ per year to a RB who poses that kind of risk, regardless of how good they are.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rookie contracts, by definition, underpay players, relative to the market. The NFLPA wanted it because it's run by veterans and allows them to get a bigger piece of the pie. The Owners want it because it gives them cost control over players.

The only say rookies have is holding out - and Zeke is right to do it, as is Melvin Gordon, to a lesser extent. We're going to start seeing this with quarterbacks sooner than later.
Don't think so, the leader of the team holding out hasn't happened yet for a good reason.

Gordon has more extent because he's only got one year left. Any team acquiescing to a player holding out with two years left is establishing a precedent that will bite them in the butt with other players.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll believe he's going to hold out when I see it.

But if he's does, I'm fine with letting him. He's under contract for two more years.

He has very little leverage.

But until I see something like this happen, I'm sure not going to get worked up about it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point, it's just a rumor. But it's worth asking that if Zeke were a Patriot and held out, would Belichick trade him and move on?

Between not knowing when he's going to get himself suspended again or holding out years before his contract is up, this kind of stuff puts the team's success in jeopardy. You don't commit $15M+ per year to a RB who poses that kind of risk, regardless of how good they are.
He wouldn't get to the hold out point in NE, he'd already be gone. He wouldn't even consider giving a RB top 5 money and his RB's know it. He drafted Michel in the 1st last season and then followed up with Damien Wilson in the 3rd this season. Keep them young and coming and cheap.

Cowboy-33

Reaction score
I hope this is just click bait. As close as he came to being suspended again the last thing he needs to do is hold out. Not a good look for fans, teammates and especially not to Jerry.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Any team acquiescing to a player holding out with two years left is establishing a precedent that will bite them in the butt with other players.
Doesn't matter. Players and their agents don't care about that - and they know that teams have pressure to pay their top players. SD can let Gordon walk because he's a replaceable talent. Zeke, in Dallas' offense, isn't. He knows that, his agent knows that, and the Joneses know that. Think Jerry doesn't remember the start of 1993?

This is why I said the NFLPA should step in.

bodi

Reaction score
well all the people on here say RB's are dime a dozen

lets see what
Mike Weber Jr an Tony Pollard can do