News: PFT: Federal judge reinstates Ezekiel Elliott suspension

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
You don't need to bring up race to show that Elliott is innocent. If anything that just hurts your case as there is no evidence supporting that stance other than your own personal beliefs. We're all pissed off because Zeke is being accused of something without any solid evidence. Don't do the same, don't be like Goodell.

I agree it shouldn't be. However it was the accuser who brought up the race card herself with the "I'm a white girl, your'e a black athlete"

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Actually there was no ruling because a court never got involved because the prosecutor did not see enough evidence. So, no there is no proof whatsoever that he violated league policy and what takes the case is that the NFL's own investigator does not think he violated league policy.

Being accused of something does not violate league policy - that is absurd! And that's all they have and honestly why Zeke should win!

well apparently according to this judge, you can just be accused, no evidence, hell you can have a ton of evidence against, but Goodie Goodell can suspend you for life and there is nothing you can do about it. that is just an unreasonable interpretation of the matter.

Ghost12

Reaction score
BS...... you are doing a semantic slight of hand...... and he has an arrest record
Who is the one playing semantic sleight of hand here? He has a clean record. The fact that he has been arrested does not change that. (Newsflash: Arrest =/= Guilt)

BTW, is that really the standard you want to set for the NFL? They can suspend anyone with "an arrest record"?
Ray Rice had to go to court ordered Anger Management and counseling for a year.....
You can keep saying it, but that won't make it true. He volunteered for a pretrial intervention and all charges were dropped as a consequence. He was never ordered to do anything, he never went to trial, he did not do a pre-trial probation, he did not plea bargain, he was never found guilty, he has a clean record.

Those are the facts and anyone who disagrees with anything in that statement is simply not aware of the Ray Rice case.

Last edited:

Ghost12

Reaction score
Ghost is just trying to be a hardo over a technicality
Hey guess what? The technicalities all come to the forefront when crap happens. If they implement a policy whereby the NFL shouldn't suspend people without a guilty verdict or plea bargain then the very first thing NFLPA lawyers are going to do in situations like Ray Rice is say "there was no guilty verdict or plea bargain."

What I am doing is explaining to people who say "the NFL should not be allowed to suspend anyone for off field behavior without a guilty verdict" why that suggestion is a non-starter in today's climate.
RRice had to agree to certain rules and had to meet certain criteria to complete the PTI....that is a form of probation
You can keep saying it but that doesn't make it true. A pre-trial intervention is NOT probation in any form.

And he always ignores the fact that Ray Rice admitted hitting Janay to the NFL
No, I did not ignore that fact, I specifically addressed it by stating that if we go with the "no suspension without a guilty verdict" standard, then he would have never sat down with the NFL so there wouldn't have been any admission of any sort.
Just like Roethisberger when he was suspended without a Guilty verdict
Roethlisberger is another excellent example of why the "no suspension without a guilty verdict" standard would be a failure.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Taking that program was a plea bargain.
No it wasn't. A pre-trial diversion is not a plea bargain.

Seriously, you people are just making things up out of thin air. A plea bargain is when you agree to plead guilty (or no contest) in exchange for light punishment. Ray Rice pleaded not-guilty during his arraignment and never wavered from that (as far as the courts are concerned).

aikemirv

Reaction score
No, he didn't do any court ordered steps. He applied for the intervention, which is a program not everyone gets, and it is nothing like probation before judgement.

You've fallen into the same trap others before you have when they say the league shouldn't be able to suspend a player without a guilty verdict. You have to stumble over to try and explain why Ray Rice should be an exception to the rule. Ray Rice never had a trial, was never found guilty, and has a clean record. Those are the facts.

Nobody pressed charges did they?

In Zekes case, they pressed charges and he still has a clean record!

Ghost12

Reaction score
The problem is, the cases you are citing, either had filings, settlements or diversions. Zeke was not even charged. Goodie Goodell decided to launch his own investigation and ignored the result of his investigator.
Well if that's the standard you want to set, have at it. But what you have written above is lightyears away from the standard of "a player must be found guilty before the NFL can suspend" which is the post to which I originally had responded.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Nobody pressed charges did they?
I never said they did, did I?
In Zekes case, they pressed charges and he still has a clean record!
Yes he does (well, at least as far as this particular case is concerned)

EDIT: You guys do realize that I don't think Elliott should have been suspended, right? I am just saying the "no suspensions unless found guilty in court" standard is not realistic in today's environment.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Who is the one playing semantic sleight of hand here? He has a clean record. The fact that he has been arrested does not change that. (Newsflash: Arrest =/= Guilt)

BTW, is that really the standard you want to set for the NFL? They can suspend anyone with "an arrest record"?
You can keep saying it, but that won't make it true. He volunteered for a pretrial intervention and all charges were dropped as a consequence. He was never ordered to do anything, he never went to trial, he did not do a pre-trial probation, he did not plea bargain, he was never found guilty, he has a clean record.

Those are the facts and anyone who disagrees with anything in that statement is simply not aware of the Ray Rice case.

In all fairness you can be accused and they will suspended you even if innocent.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
The problem is, the cases you are citing, either had filings, settlements or diversions. Zeke was not even charged. Goodie Goodell decided to launch his own investigation and ignored the result of his investigator.

He didn't investigate ****

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
So I guess this all but confirms that Zeke will be out this week.

Not necessarily, this is only if the court want to hear oral arguments. They could rule for a temporary stay based on the written arguments which what the NFLPA has just filed in a response, until such oral arguments can be heard.

edit: sorry I don't know how to post all the tweets that have come in in the last 15 minutes

Thomas82

Reaction score
Not necessarily, this is only if the court want to hear oral arguments. They could rule for a temporary stay based on the written arguments which what the NFLPA has just filed in a response, until such oral arguments can be heard.

edit: sorry I don't know how to post all the tweets that have come in in the last 15 minutes

I would have thought we would hear something by now.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NFLPA stresses that, without an injunction, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Zeke?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Zeke</a> will be forced to serve entire suspension before appeal is decided: <a href="https://t.co/fFeuTeMhuP">pic.twitter.com/fFeuTeMhuP</a></p>&mdash; Daniel Wallach (@WALLACHLEGAL) <a href="">November 2, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm tryin to learn how to imbed a tweet

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
No it wasn't. A pre-trial diversion is not a plea bargain.

Seriously, you people are just making things up out of thin air. A plea bargain is when you agree to plead guilty (or no contest) in exchange for light punishment. Ray Rice pleaded not-guilty during his arraignment and never wavered from that (as far as the courts are concerned).

pre trial diversion is a plea in that in exchange for the prosecutor staying the charge, you agree to do X Y Z