PFT: Garrett’s Ascension In Jeopardy?

khiladi

Reaction score
Eskimo;2488996 said:
Many who know football give him kudos for his football IQ and he used it as an athletically limited backup QB to his advantage. I do think he is smart but he needs to learn the people side of the coaching business a bit more. He let himself get too close to some players and that has hurt his decision-making. He also puts too much value on experience over ability. Lastly, he has been a bit thick-headed on not adjusting his offense enough to account for injuries - nothing could be done when Romo was down because BJ is incompetent, but he should have found a way to minimize Proctor's impact on the game by now.

The philosopher/king very rarely exists in this world. Garrett may have a brilliant mind, but that mind seems to be so divorced from reality that he is essentially ineffective as a play-caller. It seems like every defense knows what is coming.

khiladi

Reaction score
StylisticS;2489006 said:
Be careful what you wish for. The offense is still one of the best in the league. If people are going to give Wade a pass because of injuries on the team, then you need to do the same for Garrett. He does need to improve his play calling by diversifying it no doubt and I have faith that he can. Still with all the problems that have had this year, we still are one of the best teams on offense. Don't be so hasty yet.

Wade has taken over this defense and it is light years better than when Stewart was DC.... Wade is coaching this defense up and it shows...
There is evidence of his impact on coaching...

JG was given another Pro-Bowl WR to take the pressure off of Owens, and this offense hasn't shown any coaching improvements or use of it's weapons..

For cryin out loud, Bradie James is now looking like a Pro-Bowler with wade at the helm..

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
khiladi;2489013 said:
The philosopher/king very rarely exists in this world. Garrett may have a brilliant mind, but that mind seems to be so divorced from reality that he is essentially ineffective as a play-caller. It seems like every defense knows what is coming.

Ultimately who cares? Everybody knew what was coming under Norv Turner and Ernie Zampese from 91-95 too, and almost nobody could stop it.

StylisticS

Reaction score
khiladi;2489013 said:

He does need to do a better job of mixing it up though. How many times have we become frustrated with predictable play calling on 2nd down. We know it's a run, the defense knows it's a run, and the announcers probably know it's a run....and we run . Than some other games, we don't run the football at all. That can be improved though. I remember Texas fans having the same type of frustrations with Greg Davis earlier this decade but he has improved over the years. (although it's still there at times.)

StylisticS

Reaction score
khiladi;2489020 said:
Wade has taken over this defense and it is light years better than when Stewart was DC.... Wade is coaching this defense up and it shows...
There is evidence of his impact on coaching...

JG was given another Pro-Bowl WR to take the pressure off of Owens, and this offense hasn't shown any coaching improvements or use of it's weapons..

For cryin out loud, Bradie James is now looking like a Pro-Bowler with wade at the helm..

I hear you on defense. But Wade has experience as a coordinator and coach for over 20 years as opposed to Garrett's experience of what 3-5 years or so. Give Garrett a little bit of time. We know there is potential there.

DallasKnight

Reaction score
I think we are Knee-jerking on Garrett. He's still learning to be an offensive coordinator, and getting experience he can use as a future head coach. You guys need to back off a bit.

Simple fact is, we still have one of the most explosive, highest scoring offenses in the NFL right now.

khiladi

Reaction score
dbair1967;2489023 said:
Ultimately who cares? Everybody knew what was coming under Norv Turner and Ernie Zampese from 91-95 too, and almost nobody could stop it.

They had some basic plays, but Norv had the ability to keep the defense off balance. Like I said a million times before, Norv Turner ran an effective play-action pass which kept the defense off balance. The safeties bit. Garrett very rarely runs a play-action pass. I think he ran it twice against the Steelers. That 1992 slant was the typical example of a Norv run offense. Nobody knew that post-route was coming... They also took advantage of the personnel they had, using the over-sized offensive line to wear down the opposing defense. Norv kept pounding the ball over and over again, taking advantage of the situation unlike JG, who tries to go for a kill-shot randomly..

Norv has a feel for the game that JG isn't even close to matching...

There is a reason whenever Norv as an OC, that team dramatically imporved offensively. Hell, look at the collpase of Alex Smith, once Norv left.

khiladi

Reaction score
StylisticS;2489031 said:
I hear you on defense. But Wade has experience as a coordinator and coach for over 20 years as opposed to Garrett's experience of what 3-5 years or so. Give Garrett a little bit of time. We know there is potential there.

The Patriots OC? Spagnola as a DC?

newlander

Reaction score
PFT: a month or two late as usual: good lord, we've been talking about this all season.....they suck, as does Florio.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
khiladi;2488985 said:
He has a great football mind? How so? Because he went to Princeton... Since when has Princeton been a great football school?

Continuing to rid OC's after one average season is not going to right the ship. You bring in another OC and it's back to square one, hoping that the Cowboys execute a new offense. Call it a set back if you will.

Garrett is not the problem. After awhile, the players do have to execute.

khiladi

Reaction score
Fletch;2489073 said:
Continuing to rid OC's after one average season is not going to right the ship. You bring in another OC and it's back to square one, hoping that the Cowboys execute a new offense. Call it a set back if you will.

When you have such a star-studded cast, then I would take the problem not on execution, more so the coaching... Is Roy Williams, a Pro-Bowl receiver, not capable of executing? Is Patrick Crayton, a sixty catch receiver last year, not capable of executing? And so on and so forth...

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I'd keep Wade and maybe take a real hard look at how the offense has looked under Garrett's guidance. You can't get much better than our defense has looked the last few weeks and that means you're halfway there. If we could get some actual consistency on offense and special teams, we'd be set.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
It IS mindboggling.

I could see Garrett leaving and go somewhere with less talent and getting them to execute and be successful.

Both are at fault: Players and Garrett.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Once again, it's funny how we just loved Garrett less than 4 months ago, now we want his head on a platter.

We have no patience.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
khiladi;2488811 said:
Even though Florio is full of crap, I am all for the media finally putting the pressure on Garrett. This guy has gotten a free-pass far too long....

Yep. Me too.

2much2soon

Reaction score
Fletch;2489073 said:

So true.
Garrett looks like an offensive genius when the offensive line blocks well in the running game and Romo hits TO early and often in the passing game.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Yeah lets blow up our whole staff offense and defense.

That will solve all our problems, because we all know implementing a new scheme on both sides of the ball is always a good thing.

People think he's given a "free pass" but our coaches are ripped here more than Jack himself.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Garrett is clearly not ready to be a HC, but for those crying to can him are insane.

There is so much hysterical pud pulling around here. The guy has only been at the helm of one of the most prolific offenses in Cowboys history. Give him a chance to grow. One "bad" season and everyone is pushing their children off bridges. The world is not going to end, take a valium.

landryscorner

Reaction score
Garrett's impenetrable armor is finally showing it's weakness' I don't think Wade or garrett will be back with the cowboys, again Jerry could of saved a lot of money by not overpaying both Roy williams Safety, and garrett, those two just robbed him...shame

landryscorner

Reaction score
Clove;2489195 said:
Once again, it's funny how we just loved Garrett less than 4 months ago, now we want his head on a platter.

We have no patience.

yah isn't it amazing what bad coaching will do to you?

So many Cordinators of opposing teams have figured out Garrett, and he still has no answer by calling bone headed plays...garrett deserves a pat on the back when he delivers...and he DESERVES a slap in the face when he doesn't....this is the NFL afterall "what have you done for me lately" anyone?