News: PFT: Garrett in Consideration for Duke HC

AbeBeta

Reaction score
college football is not about X's and O's or motivation. its about recuriting....and its about spread offenses that OCs bet their 4tha nd 5th guy is better than your 4th and 5th DB.....it requires certain level of creativity and its more hands on than NFL coaches. not sure he will be a good college coach.

And recruiting is about relationships. Establishing a bond. If you don't see he has that down, you aren't paying attention

MS17

Reaction score
If you think he's the next Nick Saban, go for it. I beg to differ. I think Duke is a good place for him. But he's not turning them into a national powerhouse anytime soon.

With the current chancellor and staff, Vince Lombardi, with an unlimited budget and holy water wouldn't "turn Duke into a national (football) powerhouse". lol.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Stats are so bogus aren’t they ? As you just proved. By looking at the stats you wrote, it almost sounds like he was a good head coach....which we all know he was not. And the facts are also skewed by doing the comparison against other unsuccessful head coaches. The facts also don’t tell the story of how much more success we would have had with a good head coach during that time instead of him. Heck, now we know he is also not a good OC based on his Giants tenure. Oh, and he was so bad he was fired mid season.

Just the facts …

Garrett was 85-67 ; the 2nd longest tenure and winningest HC in Cowboys history only behind Landry.

Garrett led the Cowboys to 3 divisional titles ; more than the previous 4 HC’s combined .

Garrett led the Cowboys to 2 playoff wins ; more than the previous 4 HC’s behind

And this doesn’t include the 3 1/2 seasons he was OC which was part of another two playoff seasons , another division title and playoff win.

So cumulatively Garrett was part of every playoff win the Cowboys have had this era ( 21st Century)and all of their division titles.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
And recruiting is about relationships. Establishing a bond. If you don't see he has that down, you aren't paying attention
at the college level, not sure...its a different game....obviously Saban has it at college level....but he failed at it in the NFL, couldn't relate to players, or management and he quit and went back to college.....we jsut have to wait and see

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Good points. But I’m not sure how you sell him to the alumni/donors or fan base after his Dallas track record and firing in New York.
Being fired from jobs isn't really a big deal to some people. Belicheck was fired and got another job. Heck, a great many coaches have been recycled. People get fired all the time and land on their feet.
Actually, I think being a coach of the Dallas Cowboys helps his resume.
Again, we're not talking Duke basketball but Duke football, which will always play second-fiddle to the basketball program.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Being fired from jobs isn't really a big deal to some people. Belicheck was fired and got another job. Heck, a great many coaches have been recycled. People get fired all the time and land on their feet.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Belicheck rebuild his reputation as a successful defensive coordinator before again being offered another head coaching job? You know, the exact opposite of what Garrett did.

Actually, I think being a coach of the Dallas Cowboys helps his resume.
Again, we're not talking Duke basketball but Duke football, which will always play second-fiddle to the basketball program.

Yeah, maybe they don’t put as much of a priority on actually winning football games.

birdwells1

Reaction score
the ones who actually know what they are doing , NOT A FAN..hes a good coach period..end of story his record speaks for itself. good not great there are worse much worse coaches coaching this year then he ever was..

movign on..fanpros sure got know it all dialed at 150% this season. egomaniacal fan base..

So he failed in Dallas and got fired. Went back to OC and got fired in 1 1/2 years. So now I guess that qualifies him to be a head coach of a D1 program, they could do much better.

birdwells1

Reaction score
I think his approach could work in college, especially since today’s younger generation and athletes really need coddling and not yelling. I think his players would really feel supported and It might work for him. Now he has to surround himself with other coaches, But I’m pulling for him to get the job

You guys are just reaching for reason that JG can be successful.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So he failed in Dallas and got fired. Went back to OC and got fired in 1 1/2 years. So now I guess that qualifies him to be a head coach of a D1 program, they could do much better.
yes retread HCs al over..its part of all business you think any employee of any corporations gets fired and never hired again??!!

like we all have one single job our entire lives..its the nature of the business..he was fried after 10years here lol like that failure that decade on one job and?

Judge needed scapegoat giants still look as bad without him as they did before him

and what is you actual point..you have none..

birdwells1

Reaction score
Garrett sucks. He couldn't coach his hand out of a wet paper bag. He should consider a new career.

Right and the reason I'm going so hard on this subject is because I didn't want him here in the first place. He never had the experience (Miami QB coach for 1 year) to ever get the OC job then he ends up getting the HC job and didn't know what he was doing. We wasted 10 years on this stud of a hc but NYG we smarter they let this politician go after 1.5 seasons. He used JJ's love for him and his family and politicking to stay on as long as he did because results should have had him gone long before he was.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right and the reason I'm going so hard on this subject is because I didn't want him here in the first place. He never had the experience (Miami QB coach for 1 year) to ever get the OC job then he ends up getting the HC job and didn't know what he was doing. We wasted 10 years on this stud of a hc but NYG we smarter they let this politician go after 1.5 seasons. He used JJ's love for him and his family and politicking to stay on as long as he did because results should have had him gone long before he was.

Bingo!
:hammer:

He’s never earned nor deserved any of the jobs he was gifted. And the results have proven that without a shred of doubt.

birdwells1

Reaction score
My point is
yes retread HCs al over..its part of all business you think any employee of any corporations gets fired and never hired again??!!

like we all have one single job our entire lives..its the nature of the business..he was fried after 10years here lol like that failure that decade on one job and?

Judge needed scapegoat giants still look as bad without him as they did before him

and what is you actual point..you have none..

My point is that he's a terrible head coach and a worst offensive coordinator, he needs to got to a Junior College and work his way back up, that way he gets the experience required to be a head coach.

Notice the difference in coaching experiences between Garrett and Payton and remember they're the same age.

Sean Payton's resume

Jason Garrett's

blueblood70

Reaction score
My point is

My point is that he's a terrible head coach and a worst offensive coordinator, he needs to got to a Junior College and work his way back up, that way he gets the experience required to be a head coach.

Notice the difference in coaching experiences between Garrett and Payton and remember they're the same age.

Sean Payton's resume

Jason Garrett's
IDC what you think..garetts good coach regardless what you think. he will get another job lie all coaches released or fired or quit..just like any other job..no ones comparing Garret to ANYONE but HIMSELF and for sure your spare opinions are less then important to garrets..

his winning % is nearly the same as Jimmy Johnsons here and he coached twice as long meaning more time to water down the %. you don't do that sucking UMM KKKK?!now move on

visionary

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...rett-a-candidate-for-dukes-head-coaching-job/

Interesting. He's a very good motivator. Good relationships with players. He'd be a good college HC

that’s what you guys said when he was a garbage OC

that’s what you guys said when he was a garbage HC

now you guys saying the same as college HC

I’m no Duke fan so I’ll be glad if they sign him as their HC LOL

this guy has the right genes and connections to keep failing upward

:laugh::facepalm:

visionary

Reaction score
IDC what you think..garetts good coach regardless what you think. he will get another job lie all coaches released or fired or quit..just like any other job..no ones comparing Garret to ANYONE but HIMSELF and for sure your spare opinions are less then important to garrets..

his winning % is nearly the same as Jimmy Johnsons here and he coached twice as long meaning more time to water down the %. you don't do that sucking UMM KKKK?!now move on

your blindness blinds you

but we’re used to it so please carry on

:facepalm::muttley:

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
That is as biased as a statement as I've seen as of late.

He would be a very good college coach. He isn't a bad coach. He's never been a bad coach. He fits the college mold well.

Never been a bad coach? Ok. Looks like we can stop here

silvernblu

Reaction score
Duke
Next Stop: Division 1AA
Next Stop: Division 3
Next stop: High School
Next stop: Pop Warner...

Incompetence has a way of finding it's way to the bottom

birdwells1

Reaction score

Well if he's that good why on earth did the Cowboys and Giants fire him?