News: PFT: Garrett in Consideration for Duke HC

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Duke is one of the P5 schools placing an emphasis on academics, at least historically, anyway. I follow the ACC. One of the questions at Duke may be how many scholarship exceptions (grades) they allow with recruits compared to other P5's, ACC programs ??
Garrett's Princeton/Columbia pedigree gets him the interview.

Exactly my point why I think Duke is a good fit.......not sure I'd say the same for some other schools ( OU, Miami, Ohio State, etc.)

blueblood70

Reaction score
Who would hire a coach described as this? Your words not mine.
the ones who actually know what they are doing , NOT A FAN..hes a good coach period..end of story his record speaks for itself. good not great there are worse much worse coaches coaching this year then he ever was..

movign on..fanpros sure got know it all dialed at 150% this season. egomaniacal fan base..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the ones who actually know what they are doing , NOT A FAN..hes a good coach period..end of story his record speaks for itself. good not great there are worse much worse coaches coaching this year then he ever was..

movign on..fanpros sure got know it all dialed at 150% this season. egomaniacal fan base..

:lmao2:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just the facts …

Garrett was 85-67 ; the 2nd longest tenure and winningest HC in Cowboys history only behind Landry.

Garrett led the Cowboys to 3 divisional titles ; more than the previous 4 HC’s combined .

Garrett led the Cowboys to 2 playoff wins ; more than the previous 4 HC’s behind

And this doesn’t include the 3 1/2 seasons he was OC which was part of another two playoff seasons , another division title and playoff win.

So cumulatively Garrett was part of every playoff win the Cowboys have had this era ( 21st Century)and all of their division titles.

GMO415

Reaction score
Agreed. He's relevant to the college game. His process works there.

mrmojo

Reaction score
And he's good friends with coach K right? Win win

Doomsday101

Reaction score
While this is true, some schools place higher priorities on academics. Pretty sure Duke is one, which is exactly why this is a perfect fit for Jason IMO.

I agree and makes recruiting even more difficult . I will say part of it for Duke is the priorities in terms of resources, after all Duke as no problem bringing in kids to play on their basketball team where they have been one of the power houses for years. I doubt basketball players are any smarter than football players. lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this is actually a good fit. Low expectations. In the shadows of the basketball team. Just win about seven games a year. Set ... for ... life.

Good points. But I’m not sure how you sell him to the alumni/donors or fan base after his Dallas track record and firing in New York.

khiladi

Reaction score
Why isn’t this surprising? He’s been sucking up to Mike S. for years. Back to working those connections…

Reaction score
Like he couldn't coach a bottom 16 NFL team?? whatever he could that i mean none of them are going anywhere anytime soon as it pertains to what Garett did in his tenure here..we arent talking about him getting top job but come on..hater be tripping as usual.
My critique on Garrett is pretty mild compared to most around here. Some around here don't think he can coach high school. Not sure why you are ragging on me.

If you think he's the next Nick Saban, go for it. I beg to differ. I think Duke is a good place for him. But he's not turning them into a national powerhouse anytime soon.

blueblood70

Reaction score
My critique on Garrett is pretty mild compared to most around here. Some around here don't think he can coach high school. Not sure why you are ragging on me.

If you think he's the next Nick Saban, go for it. I beg to differ. I think Duke is a good place for him. But he's not turning them into a national powerhouse anytime soon.
Garett was far better pro coach then saban..he may not be Saban but that doesnt make him a bad option a scaoh..ummmkk

its not HOF or bust theres levels for all players and coaches and owners and apparently fans..the bad ones see it as HOF or bust type..no middle ground..

lukin2006

Reaction score
They are obviously impressed with his body of work with their former QB Daniel Jones. Joe Judge will be joining him soon…

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Garett was far better pro coach then saban..he may not be Saban but that doesnt make him a bad option a scaoh..ummmkk

its not HOF or bust theres levels for all players and coaches and owners and apparently fans..the bad ones see it as HOF or bust type..no middle ground..

Of course he was. Saban had a bad team lol.

Garrett wouldn’t have made it half a season with those Dolphins teams.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...rett-a-candidate-for-dukes-head-coaching-job/

Interesting. He's a very good motivator. Good relationships with players. He'd be a good college HC
college football is not about X's and O's or motivation. its about recuriting....and its about spread offenses that OCs bet their 4tha nd 5th guy is better than your 4th and 5th DB.....it requires certain level of creativity and its more hands on than NFL coaches. not sure he will be a good college coach.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
I think his approach could work in college, especially since today’s younger generation and athletes really need coddling and not yelling. I think his players would really feel supported and It might work for him. Now he has to surround himself with other coaches, But I’m pulling for him to get the job

AmericasTeam81

Reaction score
Garrett sucks. He couldn't coach his hand out of a wet paper bag. He should consider a new career.