News: PFT: Garrett in Consideration for Duke HC

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I hope he lands on his his feet and finds success somewhere. I was not happy with Garrett as a Coordinator or HC in Dallas, but by all accounts, he is a decent man.

CWR

Reaction score
Guy is a better than average team builder. He's below average on game day and making adjustments.

He is the best in the business when it comes to finding excuses and deflecting blame. He divides locker rooms as well, so that's a bonus.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
One thing about coaching in college a lot of the success and failure comes down to recruiting kids, as HC make visits to these kids to convince them to come to their college.

blueblood70

Reaction score
fans are absolutely delusional you all who think Garett cant coach and especially couldn't coach a Collège team and say he doesn't belong in coaching when as Pro Coach he has winning record way above 500..i thought jerry was bad GM paid the wrong players, meddled, and didn't do well in FA..the jones family is a failure, so? which is it? how did Garett become what the 2nd or thirds winningest DC coach of all time by being bad..

hes not bad,

there are middle ground, around here its like this players are either PB HOF locks or jag trash, coaches the same way, etc etc you all dont understand anything in terms of middle ground..

Garett is a good coach, problem is, hes not great coach, hes not special but doesn't mean he couldn't coach..dont see many of the bottom 16 coaches in this league doing any better..he could coach again in the nfl and be successful, not SB successful but again fans are upset he was part of another failed line of coaches who couldn't get the Dallas Cowboys back to an NFL Championship Game..fans hold that against him but not all his fault..

so name me all these great coaches in the nfl say from 16-32 who are clearly better more successful, check their record what championships are they winning?

get over it , you may not lie the guy but hes solid coach no matter what has the record to prove it..he can coach duke or other College team or again be an NFL HC..

argue all you want its fact.

the coach who just fired him isnt better and the oc who replaced him 2 weeks now, well not better..lmao if you believe they are..what they all are are just jag coaches they can coach but not coach to a championship level especially without talent..

blueblood70

Reaction score
The college level is where is belongs. He will be just fine there as long as it's not an elite level.

He would fail at an Alabama or Georgia just like he did in the NFL

Duke, Utah State, Kansas. Those are the type of schools he would by ok
Like he couldn't coach a bottom 16 NFL team?? whatever he could that i mean none of them are going anywhere anytime soon as it pertains to what Garett did in his tenure here..we arent talking about him getting top job but come on..hater be tripping as usual.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Garrett took over the Cowboys in 2010, leading the team to three NFC East championships. The one big knock on Garrett was there was some inconsistency with the team getting to the playoffs. Those three NFC East championships were the only three times the Cowboys made the playoffs under him. In 2016, he was also named the AP Coach of the Year.

Garrett finished the regular season with an 85-67 record, but during the playoffs, he had only a 2-3 record.

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/dallas-cowboys/head-coaches

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You havent spoken much about that coward. And we both know why. Because lord knows if he was hired by an nfl team youd be the first patting yourself on the back. Real life doesn't work like that though. The skirt has been lifted on Garrett.

You got caught up in his verbal pimping. Just admit it. Most Americans love a great talker. Its ok.

Find the posts you have an issue with, any of them. I’ll be able to back up my argument effectively, or I’ll admit I was wrong.

In most cases I was right, though, and defending the same sort of stupid overreactions that’s have people turning on Dak Prescott during an MVP candidate season. Because let’s face it, a lot of you guys can’t hold your water.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
One thing about coaching in college a lot of the success and failure comes down to recruiting kids, as HC make visits to these kids to convince them to come to their college.

While this is true, some schools place higher priorities on academics. Pretty sure Duke is one, which is exactly why this is a perfect fit for Jason IMO.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
I don't think Garrett is an all that good of a teacher- and you college, you need to at least be able to teach your players.

I think he is an awful teacher and therefore would be an awful college coach.

Sydla

Reaction score
He's a good motivator? Based on what? One of the bigger criticisms of his teams over the years were that his team often would come out flat, etc.

I think it's very much up in the air whether or not he'd be a good college coach.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I think he has no business coaching anything.
Be nice. Garrett never did anything to you or your family except give you something to complain about. Look at the Michigan coach Harbaugh. He used to coach the 49er's and is having great success as a college coach. Maybe Garrett will do better with a bunch of uncompensated players than a bunch of overpaid jocks. :laugh:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Be nice. Garrett never did anything to you or your family except give you something to complain about. Look at the Michigan coach Harbaugh. He used to coach the 49er's and is having great success as a college coach. Maybe Garrett will do better with a bunch of uncompensated players than a bunch of overpaid jocks. :laugh:

Harbaugh was a great college coach and a very good NFL coach who went to a Super Bowl.

All Garrett has done is be terrible and ruin careers.

He’s getting jobs based on nothing but connections.

He’s buddies with Dallas & NYG ownership and we know he’s buddies with Coach K at Duke.

birdwells1

Reaction score
He's not wishing failure on the guy, he's just voicing his opinion that Garrett's talents would be better used doing something other than coaching. That's not an evil intention. Geez, most people would be better at something other than coaching an NFL team. Garrett just seems to be one of those.

Yeah I agree, what has this guy done to deserve another head coaching job? He failed in Dallas and with the NY Giants. this guy is failing up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I agree, what has this guy done to deserve another head coaching job? He failed in Dallas and with the NY Giants. this guy is failing up.

Just goes to show you that the ‘good ‘ol boys’ club is still alive and well. It’s not about being good at your job or what you know, it’s WHO you know.

But I’ll reiterate that I don’t believe anything will come of this and that Garrett won’t get this job either. Just like when he was connected to the Chargers job he didn’t get.

MS17

Reaction score
While this is true, some schools place higher priorities on academics. Pretty sure Duke is one, which is exactly why this is a perfect fit for Jason IMO.

Duke is one of the P5 schools placing an emphasis on academics, at least historically, anyway. I follow the ACC. One of the questions at Duke may be how many scholarship exceptions (grades) they allow with recruits compared to other P5's, ACC programs ??
Garrett's Princeton/Columbia pedigree gets him the interview.

birdwells1

Reaction score
fans are absolutely delusional you all who think Garett cant coach and especially couldn't coach a Collège team and say he doesn't belong in coaching when as Pro Coach he has winning record way above 500..i thought jerry was bad GM paid the wrong players, meddled, and didn't do well in FA..the jones family is a failure, so? which is it? how did Garett become what the 2nd or thirds winningest DC coach of all time by being bad..

hes not bad,

there are middle ground, around here its like this players are either PB HOF locks or jag trash, coaches the same way, etc etc you all dont understand anything in terms of middle ground..

Garett is a good coach, problem is, hes not great coach, hes not special but doesn't mean he couldn't coach..dont see many of the bottom 16 coaches in this league doing any better..he could coach again in the nfl and be successful, not SB successful but again fans are upset he was part of another failed line of coaches who couldn't get the Dallas Cowboys back to an NFL Championship Game..fans hold that against him but not all his fault..

so name me all these great coaches in the nfl say from 16-32 who are clearly better more successful, check their record what championships are they winning?

get over it , you may not lie the guy but hes solid coach no matter what has the record to prove it..he can coach duke or other College team or again be an NFL HC..

argue all you want its fact.

the coach who just fired him isnt better and the oc who replaced him 2 weeks now, well not better..lmao if you believe they are..what they all are are just jag coaches they can coach but not coach to a championship level especially without talent..

Who would hire a coach described as this? Your words not mine.