PFT: Gregory was not lined up in the neutral zone

Rayman70

Reaction score
Did you want to re-write that statement?

Gregory1.jpg
an edit...he's over the 50 but NOT the blue line/neutral zone. STILL NOT A PENALTY.Just isn't.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
We got away with no more than the Saints did. Hence, why it's perfectly fine to complain, for both teams, to demand better officiating.

You can't miss obvious calls like a helmet to helmet on Kamara or a facemask on Dak or this offsides.
Blasphemy, only the losing team is allowed to complain, because the fix is in and all that. :laugh:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Hmmm. People must not have seen the photo and are just sticking to their original points. Let me post it again.

He is making rookie mistakes this year. Roughing the punter and that offsides could have cost us the game. Did both mistakes result in points?

dwreck27

Reaction score
The officiating was bad for both teams.

Beastly should not have had that first down.

Troy and Buck was talking about J Smith with the helmet to helmet but failed to mention he did the same thing earlier in the game as well.

Beasley was a bad spot but not being able to overturn that because you burned all your challenges in the first half is a judgement call by Sean Peyton

The Jaylon smith hit was the side of his helmet and was not leading with the CROWN of his helmet... Big difference e

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If this blue line is accurate, is he in the neutral zone? Look at the ball in relation to the line.

Gregory1.jpg

The helmet is the question. However, I can't eyeball whether it's across the line. It's close, which is why the flag should not have been thrown. It's kind of like those offsides penalties that used to be called against Ware where he would get off the ball so quickly that the official just guessed that he's offsides. We need Gene Steratore to come measure it with an index card.

Sydla

Reaction score
Where the ball is before it is snapped is where the neutral zone is. That is one reason a neutral zone infraction should be an easy call. The official is looking down the line where the ball is and should be able to tell if any part of a defender is across it.

That's why I don't completely dismiss that this was an accurate (albeit ticky-tack) call. If the angle we're seeing is skewed any, it can make the player not appear to be across the ball. However, the 50-yard line does give us an accurate measure to use because you can tell that the ball isn't at the 50 and Gregory's hand is. The only questionable part for me is his helmet. Is there an angle that shows it across the ball?

Is that true?

Or is the neutral zone the area where the ball is placed and if the center moves the ball back, like many centers do, the neutral zone stays where it was at ball placement by the official?

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
If the spot was at the 50, yes he was. If you look at the photo, he's the ONLY Cowboy over the 50, and by good margin. The blue line for the line of scrimmage cannot overlay the white line marker because it needs a green background so that too tells me the LOS was probably the 50.

I hate to admit it, but you're right. His head is over the neutral zone, though I initially thought that it only counts if the hand is over the line.

Now was it ticky tacky? Probably. Was it lame that the flag seemingly came in when the play ended? Yeah. But I think it's still valid.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'll say it again, that's an illegal formation against the Saints.

Exactly. If we are going to spin this down to pixels and where his helmet is at, the OT is technically lined up illegally as well.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
What typically happens is the sideline ref (who calls offsides) will warn the player and the sideline that he is lining up offsides (unless its super obvious) The 2nd or 3rd time it happens, the ref throws the flag. What we don't know is if that happened here. He was barely offsides but he was technically offsides.

The refs won't have to answer for that call. They will have to answer for the helmet-to-helmet hit by Jaylon and the missed facemask against Dak.

Beaker42

Reaction score
If the spot was at the 50, yes he was. If you look at the photo, he's the ONLY Cowboy over the 50, and by good margin. The blue line for the line of scrimmage cannot overlay the white line marker because it needs a green background so that too tells me the LOS was probably the 50.

BS that’s borderline at best. That was a call to keep the Saints close. Wasn’t the flag thrown late as hell that play, almost after the ball was stripped?

Rayman70

Reaction score
a slew of horrid calls last night..we agree on that. Take your pick.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I hate to admit it, but you're right. His head is over the neutral zone, though I initially thought that it only counts if the hand is over the line.

At least someone can admit it. You see the D-Nile going on otherwise. Hilarious.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I'll say it again, that's an illegal formation against the Saints.
I don't think it is.. the left tackle's head has to be at the belly of the interior offensive lineman. He is, barely, but he is.

It's very close because the left guard is back from the center. This again is one of those plays the ref will usually warn the sideline before calling.

Beaker42

Reaction score
THIS IS NOT OBVIOUS OFFSIDES. His helmet must be clearly across the ball for this to be a penalty. IT IS NOT. Look where the ball is and where Gregory is. Refs blew it.
Isn’t LT Bushrod too far off the ball because Randy was blowing by him?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Facts are, it wasn't egregious. That call wasn't in the spirit of the rule.