PFT: Gregory was not lined up in the neutral zone

GoJacks

Reaction score
If the spot was at the 50, yes he was. If you look at the photo, he's the ONLY Cowboy over the 50, and by good margin. The blue line for the line of scrimmage cannot overlay the white line marker because it needs a green background so that too tells me the LOS was probably the 50.

The LOS isn't what you look for, it's the ball.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Is that true?

Or is the neutral zone the area where the ball is placed and if the center moves the ball back, like many centers do, the neutral zone stays where it was at ball placement by the official?

The ball is the neutral zone. It is the measure that is used to determine if there is an infraction. If it was where the ball was placed before the center moves it, there would be a whole lot more neutral zone infractions because defenders always set up just outside of where the center places the ball before snapping it.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Are you 12?

The blue line is not an official marking of the line bruh

Where is the ball? And usually you have to be dead past it for that call to happen

Even if it's not official, you can use it as a marker for where the ball is and where Gregory's helmet is. Gregory's helmet is more than half way across that blue line. Where is the ball in relation to that blue line and is Gregory past the nose of the ball when you use that line?

Kaiser

Reaction score
I saw the line before the snap and his hand was on the line. He wasn’t lined up in it. The refs missed so many calls last night, I was surprised that they threw the flag on Cooper in the end zone.

A lot of it is about the line of sight of the official. The PI on Amari was the right call because the DB held his arm - and it was called because it was right in the line of sight of the referee.

They missed calls on both sides like you say, Jaylon should have been called for the helmet hit (and Xavier Woods last week) but they missed the facemask on Dak also.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Exactly. If we are going to spin this down to pixels and where his helmet is at, the OT is technically lined up illegally as well.

I saw that pointed out somewhere. Maybe in that article.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The ball is the neutral zone. It is the measure that is used to determine if there is an infraction. If it was where the ball was placed before the center moves it, there would be a whole lot more neutral zone infractions because defenders always set up just outside of where the center places the ball before snapping it.

The official mark is on the sideline which is why they have the chain gang. So the ball can't be some arbitrary line of scrimmage because it'd come into play during measurements. Wouldn't it?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What gets me is it erased one hell of defensive play......

Randy Gregory wasn’t lined up in the neutral zone
Posted by Mike Florio on November 30, 2018, 12:27 PM EST

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/30/randy-gregory-wasnt-lined-up-in-the-neutral-zone/

One of the more bizarre officiating errors in a night marked with several of them came when the folks in black and white wiped out a Drew Brees fumble, recovered by the Cowboys.

Referee Walt Anderson announced that Cowboys defensive end Randy Gregory had lined up in the neutral zone. But one small problem existed with this conclusion: Gregory wasn’t lined up in the neutral zone
They fired the only Hispanic official for missing a call. Wonder if someone will be fired for this! Lol! Yeah, right!

Kaiser

Reaction score
The helmet is the question. However, I can't eyeball whether it's across the line.

I haven't watched the replay so I can't really comment yet, but you also can't tell if that picture is exactly aligned with the LOS or if its slightly off center. You can move the point of few just a few degrees and change the appearance of the call.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
BS that’s borderline at best. That was a call to keep the Saints close. Wasn’t the flag thrown late as hell that play, almost after the ball was stripped?

Please. It is an at-the-snap penalty because Gregory had the chance to move back. The flag was thrown as soon as the ball was snapped. Let's not trot out that conspiracy garbage.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
If Micheal Thomas wasn't lined up 50% of the time offsides, neither was Gregory.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Are you 12?

The blue line is not an official marking of the line bruh

Where is the ball? And usually you have to be dead past it for that call to happen
well said and THOSE are the facts. That call has to be SO obvious in order for it to be flagged. In this case, it simly was a bad call. His head has to be at least over the tip of the ball for that to get a flag. HE WASNT.

gimmesix

Reaction score
What typically happens is the sideline ref (who calls offsides) will warn the player and the sideline that he is lining up offsides (unless its super obvious) The 2nd or 3rd time it happens, the ref throws the flag. What we don't know is if that happened here. He was barely offsides but he was technically offsides.

The refs won't have to answer for that call. They will have to answer for the helmet-to-helmet hit by Jaylon and the missed facemask against Dak.

That's one of the things we don't know. If there were other, perhaps more egregious examples of Gregory lining up in the neutral zone where he was only warned. Maybe that caused the officials to split hairs on this play.

Frankly, I think the officials should stay out of it unless it is egregious. They don't call all of the illegal contact because they would be calling it all the time. They don't call every hold for the same reason. Same way with the helmet hits. So it bugs me when they call a minor infraction, at best, when they are not quick to throw a flag on bigger ones.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Like you ignoring the obvious illegal formation?

If it was then that was another one they missed among many. Are you also on the conspiracy train that this call was made to erase a fumble that happened a few seconds after the flag was thrown as if it was intentional? Lol.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
If the spot was at the 50, yes he was. If you look at the photo, he's the ONLY Cowboy over the 50, and by good margin. The blue line for the line of scrimmage cannot overlay the white line marker because it needs a green background so that too tells me the LOS was probably the 50.

The LOS is where the ball is. Neither his hand or his head is past the ball.

Vandyr

Reaction score
If it was then that was another one they missed among many. Are you also on the conspiracy train that this call was made to erase a fumble that happened a few seconds after the flag was thrown as if it was intentional? Lol.

I am not, but this call was ticky tacky, and should have been called against the Saints. It begs the question: why? The left tackle lining up 2 yards behind the LOS is even more noticeable than where Gregory is. Why aren't you harping on that instead of trying to prove to everyone that Gregory was off sides?

For the record I don't think he was, going by the placement of the ball.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
His head has to be at least over the tip of the ball for that to get a flag. HE WASNT.

Here's the photo again. Use the blue line as a reference to tell me where Gregory's helmet is in relation to the ball on the blue line. Is Gregory across the ball here? You like facts, right? Lol.

Gregory1.jpg