PFT: Hoffman ready to compete to be the Cowboy's starting center

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
LOL.....I think you can take JPJ off your draft boards for 24. To be honest, I'm Ok with this.......both guys have played pretty well when given the chance. I say let him and Bass duke it out, the best man wins. No need to use a high pick on center. In other words, do we know JPJ is that much better than Bass or Hoffman?

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...eady-to-compete-to-be-cowboys-starting-center

Brock Hoffman ready to compete to be Cowboys’ starting center

The Cowboys have done so little in free agency that they have holes everywhere on the roster. The only outside free agent they have signed is linebacker Eric Kendricks, while losing the likes of Tony Pollard, Tyron Smith, Tyler Biadasz, Michael Gallup, Dorance Armstrong, Johnathan Hankins and Neville Gallimore.

One of those holes — center — is expected to be filled by Brock Hoffman, who is entering his third season.

“It’s on my mind every day right now, to be honest with you,” Hoffman said about the starting center spot, via Nick Harris of the team website. “I’m training like I’m ready to be that guy. I’m humbled. I’ve done everything that I’ve had to do. I’ve faced some adversity, being cut off the practice squad. I feel like that’s all led to this moment, and I’m ready to do what I need to do to help this team win a championship.”

Last edited by a moderator:

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Honestly I'm only OK with this bc Brock Hoffman started his college career at Coastal and I know he's a straight up DAWG but man to not even have a veteran presence behind him who's started before is a little wild to me. Hopefully it works out

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I hope Hoffman does turn out to be good.

But the cowboys would be absolutely foolish to not draft a center in the first 3 rounds this draft.
Just me, but I don't see them drafting a PURE center with a high pick. A flex guy.....yes but not a guy who can only play center, such as JPJ.

rambo2

Reaction score
I'n thinking at 24 that they could take JPJ, an olineman, a dtackle, a receiver, a corner, an edge, or a linebacker. It will be interesting to see what they do. They should take bpa on their board. It's going to be a hard call. Whoever they take, they better be good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I hope Hoffman does turn out to be good.

But the cowboys would be absolutely foolish to not draft a center in the first 3 rounds this draft.
If they are hoping Hoffman can start, then definitely don’t draft a pure center. I think they will look OT first, but possibly go with a guy like Barton who can also play other spots if Hoffman can hold down center.

rambo2

Reaction score
It would be crazy to pass on him if he's still there.
It depends how much they like him over Barton and Frazier. They could trade back a little and still get one of the centers and an extra pick which would give them another player like Payton Wilson or a receiver that dropped.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
LOL.....I think you can take JPJ off your draft boards for 24. To be honest, I'm Ok with this.......both guys have played pretty well when given the chance. I say let him and Bass duke it out, the best man wins. No need to use a high pick on center. In other words, do we know JPJ is that much better than Bass or Hoffman?

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...eady-to-compete-to-be-cowboys-starting-center

The Cowboys have done so little in free agency that they have holes everywhere on the roster. The only outside free agent they have signed is linebacker Eric Kendricks, while losing the likes of Tony Pollard, Tyron Smith, Tyler Biadasz, Michael Gallup, Dorance Armstrong, Johnathan Hankins and Neville Gallimore.

One of those holes — center — is expected to be filled by Brock Hoffman, who is entering his third season.

“It’s on my mind every day right now, to be honest with you,” Hoffman said about the starting center spot, via Nick Harris of the team website. “I’m training like I’m ready to be that guy. I’m humbled. I’ve done everything that I’ve had to do. I’ve faced some adversity, being cut off the practice squad. I feel like that’s all led to this moment, and I’m ready to do what I need to do to help this team win a championship.”
Hoffman deserved to be cut after the last preseason, and he was. Any team could have claimed him. Instead, he ended up back on our practice squad and wasn't put on the roster until he had no call-ups left. Players can improve and he did decently in relief work, but if we're mainly basing this on his play in a Washington game where they sat a lot of their starters, that's foolish.

Center should be on the top of our draft list ... and the top ones also are able to play other positions, which give us options considering we have two young guys trying to step up and fill holes.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Draft Miami's C Matt Lee late in the 5th. Make a small offer to Connor Williams if he is cleared by Cowboys doctor. Let all 3 fight for the starting Center position.

rambo2

Reaction score
Draft Miami's C Matt Lee late in the 5th. Make a small offer to Connor Williams if he is cleared by Cowboys doctor. Let all 3 fight for the starting Center position.
I'd rather draft Jackson Powers-Johnson or Zach Frazier.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I'd rather draft Jackson Powers-Johnson or Zach Frazier.
And pass much better weapons which we could use at WR, RB, LB or DT? There are good Olinemen to be had in the middle rounds. The 90s Cowboys Wall of Dallas didn't have 1st rounders on their Oline. This ridiculous notion that you need only 1st round picks to address your Oline is a big failure.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
I'd prefer Bass at LG, Tyler at LT and Hoffman battle it out at C. I think Tyler would do a better job at LT than anyone in the draft, and we gotta keep Dak alive.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Center is the most important position on the line. Right now, it’s the biggest unknown. If Hoffman is the guy so be it, but they still need a center and LT.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Center is the most important position on the line. Right now, it’s the biggest unknown. If Hoffman is the guy so be it, but they still need a center and LT.
Draft OT Christian Jones late in the 3rd, C Matt Lee very late in the 5th. Problem fixed. Trade down from 24th in the 1st to the early 2nd and pick up an extra 3rd or 4th. We need more picks while keeping our early picks for LB, RB, WR and/or DT.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Ready to compete, does not sound like ready to start to me. Hopefully we are surprised. The draft well tell us a lot.