PFT: Hoffman ready to compete to be the Cowboy's starting center

kskboys

Reaction score
Close. only about 70% of snaps. My point is if you watch the dude he gets turned like a turnstile and blown back by power rushers instantly. He’s just not the guy you want there.
Jerry says if he tries really really hard he'll be an all pro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
LOL.....I think you can take JPJ off your draft boards for 24. To be honest, I'm Ok with this.......both guys have played pretty well when given the chance. I say let him and Bass duke it out, the best man wins. No need to use a high pick on center. In other words, do we know JPJ is that much better than Bass or Hoffman?

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...eady-to-compete-to-be-cowboys-starting-center

Brock Hoffman ready to compete to be Cowboys’ starting center

The Cowboys have done so little in free agency that they have holes everywhere on the roster. The only outside free agent they have signed is linebacker Eric Kendricks, while losing the likes of Tony Pollard, Tyron Smith, Tyler Biadasz, Michael Gallup, Dorance Armstrong, Johnathan Hankins and Neville Gallimore.

One of those holes — center — is expected to be filled by Brock Hoffman, who is entering his third season.

“It’s on my mind every day right now, to be honest with you,” Hoffman said about the starting center spot, via Nick Harris of the team website. “I’m training like I’m ready to be that guy. I’m humbled. I’ve done everything that I’ve had to do. I’ve faced some adversity, being cut off the practice squad. I feel like that’s all led to this moment, and I’m ready to do what I need to do to help this team win a championship.”
Oh please!! We'll see against a GOOD TEAM

1942willys

Reaction score
Just me, but I don't see them drafting a PURE center with a high pick. A flex guy.....yes but not a guy who can only play center, such as JPJ.
its stupid to be so obsessed with flex that you ignore anyone with the potential to be excellent at one position
you ever hear the term jack of all trades MASTER OF NONE?

McMicah

Reaction score
Jerry says if he tries really really hard he'll be an all pro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That’s nonsense. I think we all know he needs just a little more eye black on his face and then he will reach his final form of super mauler.

seriously I have never seen a player use that much eye black

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
We have been incompetent drafting OL's past the 1st round. Maybe Jimmy can change that? Plus, we need players who can play now. Hard to find those past the first two rounds.
It's because Jerry keeps hiring "coaches" who don't know how to find mid-round talent, much less know how to build them up.

Texas' OT, Christian Jones, is good enough to start this year. He can be had in the 3rd round. The same goes for Miami's C, Matt Lee. He can be had in the 5th.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This
If we are hellbent on not moving Tyler to LT then LT becomes our rd 1 pick and in this case you have to go C in rd 2
If we are willing to move Tyler to LT then C is our biggest need so we better take him in rd 1. Absolutely cannot rely on just Hoffman at the second most important position on OL after LT. Just think of the DTs for Philly, Commodes and Gints that C will be facing
That's one reason I'm most interested in Powers-Johnson. I think he's the type who can handle those bigger DTs because of his size and strength. I think he's kind of similar to what we had in Frederick, except a better prospect than him. I don't know if he's as smart as Frederick, but that may be the only spot where Frederick beats him as a prospect.

I'm less worried about LT than C because I do think we have some competition for LG and LT with Tyler, Richards and Bass. I think there's a good chance that two will emerge out of those three to handle it. But if we draft Powers-Johnson or Barton, we add them to the competition since both can play guard (if Hoffman were to prove capable at C) and Barton can possibly be a starting LT candidate too. Getting one of those two just really increase the competition for our two "open" spots.

1942willys

Reaction score
That's one reason I'm most interested in Powers-Johnson. I think he's the type who can handle those bigger DTs because of his size and strength. I think he's kind of similar to what we had in Frederick, except a better prospect than him. I don't know if he's as smart as Frederick, but that may be the only spot where Frederick beats him as a prospect.

I'm less worried about LT than C because I do think we have some competition for LG and LT with Tyler, Richards and Bass. I think there's a good chance that two will emerge out of those three to handle it. But if we draft Powers-Johnson or Barton, we add them to the competition since both can play guard (if Hoffman were to prove capable at C) and Barton can possibly be a starting LT candidate too. Getting one of those two just really increase the competition for our two "open" spots.
I like Frazier at center; he had 47 starts there and is a beast.

conner01

Reaction score
LOL.....I think you can take JPJ off your draft boards for 24. To be honest, I'm Ok with this.......both guys have played pretty well when given the chance. I say let him and Bass duke it out, the best man wins. No need to use a high pick on center. In other words, do we know JPJ is that much better than Bass or Hoffman?

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...eady-to-compete-to-be-cowboys-starting-center

Brock Hoffman ready to compete to be Cowboys’ starting center

The Cowboys have done so little in free agency that they have holes everywhere on the roster. The only outside free agent they have signed is linebacker Eric Kendricks, while losing the likes of Tony Pollard, Tyron Smith, Tyler Biadasz, Michael Gallup, Dorance Armstrong, Johnathan Hankins and Neville Gallimore.

One of those holes — center — is expected to be filled by Brock Hoffman, who is entering his third season.

“It’s on my mind every day right now, to be honest with you,” Hoffman said about the starting center spot, via Nick Harris of the team website. “I’m training like I’m ready to be that guy. I’m humbled. I’ve done everything that I’ve had to do. I’ve faced some adversity, being cut off the practice squad. I feel like that’s all led to this moment, and I’m ready to do what I need to do to help this team win a championship.”
They’ve seen him more than we have. If he can do it that’s amazing and the perfect answer. But they better be right because this offense doesn’t work when it can’t run the ball

fivetwos

Reaction score

I’m with that.

Toward the end of the first round of a typical draft, you can likely get the very top center, but like the 5th-6th best tackle.

And yep, the in house options at LT seem to be much better than center.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Close. only about 70% of snaps. My point is if you watch the dude he gets turned like a turnstile and blown back by power rushers instantly. He’s just not the guy you want there.
That was basically a preseason game

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I like Frazier at center; he had 47 starts there and is a beast.
If we miss on Powers-Johnson and Barton, I'd be perfectly content with trading back slightly and taking Frazier. After that, it gets more iffy to me. I know some have the mind-set that the centers who are third- through fifth-round values will be just fine, but that's not how the draft works. The lower you take a player, the more flaws there are in his game and the more likely you are to miss on the pick. Some get overly focused on the hits, when the hit rate is not that high.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Seems like the Cowboys don't "like their guys" as much as they claim to lately.

Allowing the superfluous number of them to depart apparently belies that idea.

Trying to make some sort of sensible proof of their devotion isn't really evident.

Last edited:

Jfconrow

Reaction score
It depends how much they like him over Barton and Frazier. They could trade back a little and still get one of the centers and an extra pick which would give them another player like Payton Wilson or a receiver that dropped.
If we already have 3 guys on the team competing for C, it would be odd to draft a C with the first pick. JPJ is the consensus best C in the draft but I think they go for a true LG or LT, DE, LB or even RB if one is available. I can't see DT or secondary, unless there is some monster SS. I like Payton Wilson, but I wouldn't touch him before the 3rd round with his injuries. I guess a late 2nd would be about right for him and he probably starts right away. If he can play for 3 seasons without injury he'd be a steal.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
This is the kind of crap that makes me furious with this front office. Every year they bank on someone coming off of injury, or no experience and then when it fails they wait till the following season to play catch up. These guys are morons

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I don't know whether he can play center at a starting level. I do remember he played pretty well when he came in later in the season at G.

Honestly it doesn't really matter who plays C this season other than to get experience for 2025. At least that is how it appears.

rambo2

Reaction score
This is the kind of crap that makes me furious with this front office. Every year they bank on someone coming off of injury, or no experience and then when it fails they wait till the following season to play catch up. These guys are morons
How did a bunch of morons win 37 games the last 3 years? What does that make the 30 other teams that didn't top that?