PFT: Hoffman ready to compete to be the Cowboy's starting center

McMicah

Reaction score
Just in case anyone is curious, the only game Hoffman played 100% of the snaps was…Arizona. Yes, that game

If you guys want a preview of life with him at center and a non Tyron Smith at LT, there’s your game. That’s your 2024 season staring you in the face.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Remember the name O'Cyrus Torrence G from last year's draft. Most fans/media mocked him to the Cowboys in 2nd round and they passed. The word is they never really considered him coz he ONLY played LG. I'm not saying whether or not it was the right pick but it was their thinking.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...th-og-flexibility-trevor-penning-kenyon-green

2022 NFL Draft: Cowboys could be eyeing offensive lineman with position flex early​

Dallas Cowboys do love players with position flex.

I don't see them passing on a blue-chip OT ( especially one who can play inside or outside) for a Center but that's just me.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Honestly I'm only OK with this bc Brock Hoffman started his college career at Coastal and I know he's a straight up DAWG but man to not even have a veteran presence behind him who's started before is a little wild to me. Hopefully it works out
Our LS can fill in if needed...

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Just in case anyone is curious, the only game Hoffman played 100% of the snaps was…Arizona. Yes, that game

If you guys want a preview of life with him at center and a non Tyron Smith at LT, there’s your game. That’s your 2024 season staring you in the face.
Dak is starting to freak out a bit, he cannot believe that the Jones are making him play to stay.

plymkr

Reaction score
LOL.....I think you can take JPJ off your draft boards for 24. To be honest, I'm Ok with this.......both guys have played pretty well when given the chance. I say let him and Bass duke it out, the best man wins. No need to use a high pick on center. In other words, do we know JPJ is that much better than Bass or Hoffman?

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...eady-to-compete-to-be-cowboys-starting-center

Brock Hoffman ready to compete to be Cowboys’ starting center

The Cowboys have done so little in free agency that they have holes everywhere on the roster. The only outside free agent they have signed is linebacker Eric Kendricks, while losing the likes of Tony Pollard, Tyron Smith, Tyler Biadasz, Michael Gallup, Dorance Armstrong, Johnathan Hankins and Neville Gallimore.

One of those holes — center — is expected to be filled by Brock Hoffman, who is entering his third season.

“It’s on my mind every day right now, to be honest with you,” Hoffman said about the starting center spot, via Nick Harris of the team website. “I’m training like I’m ready to be that guy. I’m humbled. I’ve done everything that I’ve had to do. I’ve faced some adversity, being cut off the practice squad. I feel like that’s all led to this moment, and I’m ready to do what I need to do to help this team win a championship.”
I was pretty impressed with Hofman and Bass last year. Bass played a little more so there’s more of a sample size. But in the time Hofman played it was encouraging. I’d still like to see a vet sign for cheap or a draft pick to be put in the mix for C. But I’m optimistic that a combo of Hofman and Bass can hold the fort at C and not have too much of a drop off from BDZ. I’m much more worried about OT than C.

I think of all the frugal spending in FA this year and letting our guys walk. The position I’m least concerned with is C. I think these guys will get it done.

plymkr

Reaction score

Didn’t Hoffman play the whole game against the Commanders? I thought he did but I might be wrong.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
There is no way this draft can cover all the needs on this roster. Draft BPA, cut as many bad contracts off this roster as possible, and try and field a competitive team by 2026.

JJ is letting MM play out his contract, and he has been set up to fail, which gives the GM a nice scapegoat and PR opportunity to “hype” the fanbase up with a new HC in 2025.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am more comfortable with drafting a Center.
I think Bass could play Guard and move Tyler Smith to Left Tackle.
That would move Hoffman as back up for center and guard.

However I think they draft the OT.
And instead of a center in the first couple days they hope that one falls to day three like Limmer and have him compete with Hoffman.

Hardline

Reaction score
I'm not passing up a potential Travis Frederick for a question mark at center.

visionary

Reaction score
Hoffman deserved to be cut after the last preseason, and he was. Any team could have claimed him. Instead, he ended up back on our practice squad and wasn't put on the roster until he had no call-ups left. Players can improve and he did decently in relief work, but if we're mainly basing this on his play in a Washington game where they sat a lot of their starters, that's foolish.

Center should be on the top of our draft list ... and the top ones also are able to play other positions, which give us options considering we have two young guys trying to step up and fill holes.
This
If we are hellbent on not moving Tyler to LT then LT becomes our rd 1 pick and in this case you have to go C in rd 2
If we are willing to move Tyler to LT then C is our biggest need so we better take him in rd 1. Absolutely cannot rely on just Hoffman at the second most important position on OL after LT. Just think of the DTs for Philly, Commodes and Gints that C will be facing

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LOL.....I think you can take JPJ off your draft boards for 24. To be honest, I'm Ok with this.......both guys have played pretty well when given the chance. I say let him and Bass duke it out, the best man wins. No need to use a high pick on center. In other words, do we know JPJ is that much better than Bass or Hoffman?

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...eady-to-compete-to-be-cowboys-starting-center

Brock Hoffman ready to compete to be Cowboys’ starting center

The Cowboys have done so little in free agency that they have holes everywhere on the roster. The only outside free agent they have signed is linebacker Eric Kendricks, while losing the likes of Tony Pollard, Tyron Smith, Tyler Biadasz, Michael Gallup, Dorance Armstrong, Johnathan Hankins and Neville Gallimore.

One of those holes — center — is expected to be filled by Brock Hoffman, who is entering his third season.

“It’s on my mind every day right now, to be honest with you,” Hoffman said about the starting center spot, via Nick Harris of the team website. “I’m training like I’m ready to be that guy. I’m humbled. I’ve done everything that I’ve had to do. I’ve faced some adversity, being cut off the practice squad. I feel like that’s all led to this moment, and I’m ready to do what I need to do to help this team win a championship.”
He played 2 games. The Arizona game where he was awful. And the Washington game where he played against backups. He didnt do anything last year to show that he is more than a back up

CWR

Reaction score
Just me, but I don't see them drafting a PURE center with a high pick. A flex guy.....yes but not a guy who can only play center, such as JPJ.
Fortunately or not we will definitely be in position to go with a true BPA. There are so many needs, it's impossible to justify reaching for a position.

CWR

Reaction score
He played 2 games. The Arizona game where he was awful. And the Washington game where he played against backups. He didnt do anything last year to show that he is more than a back up
Maybe you didn't notice, but he paints his face like a starter.

McMicah

Reaction score
Didn’t Hoffman play the whole game against the Commanders? I thought he did but I might be wrong.
Close. only about 70% of snaps. My point is if you watch the dude he gets turned like a turnstile and blown back by power rushers instantly. He’s just not the guy you want there.

kskboys

Reaction score
And pass much better weapons which we could use at WR, RB, LB or DT? There are good Olinemen to be had in the middle rounds. The 90s Cowboys Wall of Dallas didn't have 1st rounders on their Oline. This ridiculous notion that you need only 1st round picks to address your Oline is a big failure.
We have been incompetent drafting OL's past the 1st round. Maybe Jimmy can change that? Plus, we need players who can play now. Hard to find those past the first two rounds.