PFT implies Watson punishment should be no more than Jerry, Kraft or Sydner

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree it's an outcome they both would rather avoid but it still may be their best solution

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...l-year-wholl-play-quarterback-for-the-browns/

If Deshaun Watson is suspended for the full year, who’ll play quarterback for the Browns?
Posted by Mike Florio on June 26, 2022, 11:01 AM EDT

The best approach for the Browns would be to find a way to persuade Mayfield to return for a year. With Watson (if he’s suspended for a year) having his $1.035 million salary for 2022 pushed to 2023 and his $46 million salary for 2023 pushed to 2024, the Browns could actually offer more money to Mayfield for the coming year. They could also agree not to tag him after the season. That would be the kind of tangible gesture that could persuade Mayfield to return for another year — especially if he realizes (as he should) that he’ll have a better chance to position himself for a big payday on the open market if he stays put in an offense he knows, and with talent on both sides of the ball.
If they still had their 1st round pick, I'd say start Everett Notsogood and get a nice player in the draft!!!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Obviously the owners that fund the league have a different standard, but realistically Watson has what - 24 claims against him? That's well beyond what I'm aware with any other player or owner.

kskboys

Reaction score
Obviously the owners that fund the league have a different standard, but realistically Watson has what - 24 claims against him? That's well beyond what I'm aware with any other player or owner.
True, but the claims appear to be primarily about secksual misconduct. Winston tried to rape a girl in a cab, reportedly. Severity of crime matters. Did he actually force anyone to have secks w/ him? That's the question that really matters. Since criminal charges were dropped, I would guess that he didn't.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That's just the surface.... there are many more deeper reasons than that as to why he won't be judged and punished as lightly as they did.
oh???? do tell. Id hate to unfairly think you are going down a certain road.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Both Bauer and Watson lured women to their places and then went way over to no means yes line with their respective women who went along with Bauer and Watson in the first place for something much, much milder. Bait and sexual assault I think it’s called.

Lured...........bauer is a fool, and so was the woman. Sports need to somehow come to the realization that all these athletes are not choir boys and move on. Time to let the courts deal with this stuff.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Watson shouldn’t play in the NFL again. More talented people have been cancelled for less. What Watson did is on par with what Trevor Bauer did and Bauer will not play in the majors again.
name me the more talented individuals you speak of?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yeah I go to masseuses all the time. I always try to be respectful and kind. I don't treat them the way Brett Favre, Deshaun Watson and Bob Kraft do.
as it should be, but there are clearly places that DO OFFER the services Kraft, Favre and Watson were looking for on top of a massage.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I’m guessing the suspension will be reduced which will mean he can collect additional money but I don’t see any team letting him play for them.

Money is NOT even an issue. First off, they structured the salary so he is only getting 1 million this year that will be impacted. He got somewhere near 46 million in bonus money when he signed the deal. They cant touch that. I suspect the league is absolutely trying to figure out a way to get to his money, because even if they suspend him for a year, once the news and espn start running the media onslaught informing the keyboard warriors at home that his year long suspension is only costing him about 60k a game, their heads will explode.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
They have piles and piles of money to lose.
You are living in dream land. The NFL is stronger today than they have EVER been. Do not confuse the justice warriors on TV that will be up in arms over whatever they do with Watson with people that actually watch and attend games. A few people may burn their season tickets or Browns jerseys and it will be all over the news, then 3 days later the Browns will have a sold out season opener. Like a certain person said, I could kill someone and not lose your support... the NFL is that same entity.

If OJ Simpson were 23 and released from Prison, teams would be lining up to sign him.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
but realistically Watson has what - 24 claims against him?

Even if you discount half the claims as money grabs, that's still way more than any other situation I am aware of. If other folks got suspended \ punished, Watson needs to be punished more.

As for the owners, that's a tricky wicket. The idea of equal justice is great but it's not all apples to apples of what was committed and even if it were the system is set up so that people at the top of the food chain aren't going to get the punishment. Just the way it is.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Not sure how much you followed the Bauer situation but that's not what happened. He never lured her at all, and as a matter of fact she went back for more encounters.
stop trying to talk about facts. We dont like facts... we use words like LURED and then complain about the media....lol

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yeah that's stretching it. The 3 owners mentioned haven't assaulted anyone let alone over 20 women. Its clear from just the shear volume of settlements that Watson is a serial offender with zero regard for women.

Did you pay much attention to Krafts story? Sex traffic industry is alive and well because of people like Kraft, and they pushed that under the rug and did NOTHING.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
They cant touch that. I suspect the league is absolutely trying to figure out a way to get to his money,

This is why I think we are hearing about a possible indefinite suspension. This would allow the league to add a few games in 2023 that cost him around $2.7M per game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is interesting but Jerry was never punished .......was he?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-of-deshaun-watson-lasting-at-least-one-year/
Report: NFL seeks indefinite suspension of Deshaun Watson, lasting at least one year
Posted by Mike Florio on June 25, 2022, 6:39 PM EDT

Multiple reports have pegged the commencement of the hearing before Judge Sue L. Robinson for Tuesday, June 28. It’s unclear how long the process will take. An effort by the NFLPA to defend Watson based on the actions, and consequences, of owners like Daniel Snyder, Robert Kraft, and Jerry Jones will necessarily delay the process. Nevertheless, Watson has an absolute right to argue that his punishment should be commensurate with other cases.
Jethro was fined on one occasion $100,000 for speaking out against the league. And of course the fine a few years ago levied against Cowboys for Salary Cap violations. That was about 10 million loss on Cap . I don’t recall exact details but it involved Snyder and Skins

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Even if you discount half the claims as money grabs, that's still way more than any other situation I am aware of. If other folks got suspended \ punished, Watson needs to be punished more.

As for the owners, that's a tricky wicket. The idea of equal justice is great but it's not all apples to apples of what was committed and even if it were the system is set up so that people at the top of the food chain aren't going to get the punishment. Just the way it is.

so what exactly do you think is appropriate punishment for Watson?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
True, but the claims appear to be primarily about secksual misconduct. Winston tried to rape a girl in a cab, reportedly. Severity of crime matters. Did he actually force anyone to have secks w/ him? That's the question that really matters. Since criminal charges were dropped, I would guess that he didn't.

IN order for Criminal charges to be dropped, they first have to be actually filed. Unless I missed it, Watson was never charged with a crime to begin with.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
While true but not coz the actions are any less evil but camouflaged by layers of subordinate employees and lawyers
It comes down to the public perception and potential damage to the shield ultimately meaning revenue. The league must maintain a sense of oversight despite any legal ramifications or indictments.

Personal Conduct Policy is clear and the Commish and League have wide parameters to enforce.

The owners under this policy are basically leaving the dirty work to Commish . In the past teams policed themselves like with Landry releasing several players like Lance Rentzel, Duanne Thomas and Hollywood Henderson due to their personal conduct.

Unfortunately the league cumulatively could depend on owners to police themselves and wanted to take burden off themselves.