PFT implies Watson punishment should be no more than Jerry, Kraft or Sydner

Reid1boys

Reaction score
and lets be real, he has already been suspended for an entire season LAST year. He wasnt activated when he was healthy all year...... what was that??? that was a suspension. So lets consider that when thinking about what he gets this year. Kind of like those that sit in jail waiting for a trial..... time served, now move along.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
and lets be real, he has already been suspended for an entire season LAST year. He wasnt activated when he was healthy all year...... what was that??? that was a suspension. So lets consider that when thinking about what he gets this year. Kind of like those that sit in jail waiting for a trial..... time served, now move along.
Yes but I believe he was paid last year while sitting.

Reactions: CWR

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The fact Houston didn’t want to play him last year speaks volumes. And Watson had shown no remorse or wrong doing despite admitting that he felt several of the incidents were consensual sex.

I suspect based on the reports I’ve read the league is also considering perhaps the most serious suspension they’ve ever laid down. A 1 year suspension and perhaps longer meaning he’d need to reapply for coming back. But this is shaping up to be a historic judgement.

terra

Reaction score
Yep, he got paid his full salary.
Suspending him to make him pay financially is probably what will happen. Just a matter of how long it will be.

Bluntly speaking the Browns made a bad call bringing him in; but then QBs are so valuable anymore, at least ones that seem to be winners. and missing the call on Mayfield probably had them even more desperate since they cannot draft one high next year. There is not much out there that is available.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep, he got paid his full salary.
Suspending him to make him pay financially is probably what will happen. Just a matter of how long it will be.

Bluntly speaking the Browns made a bad call bringing him in; but then QBs are so valuable anymore, at least ones that seem to be winners. and missing the call on Mayfield probably had them even more desperate since they cannot draft one high next year. There is not much out there that is available.
But if he’s suspended they won’t have to pay him. Bad news is they gave up all of those picks.

terra

Reaction score
The fact Houston didn’t want to play him last year speaks volumes. And Watson had shown no remorse or wrong doing despite admitting that he felt several of the incidents were consensual sex.

I suspect based on the reports I’ve read the league is also considering perhaps the most serious suspension they’ve ever laid down. A 1 year suspension and perhaps longer meaning he’d need to reapply for coming back. But this is shaping up to be a historic judgement.
He is a PR nightmare that is for sure; but as usual its all about the money and as long as they think he can make them winners they will shell out whatever is necessary.
And lets be blunt: the Brown fans are so desperate for a winner they will forgive him the minute he starts winning for them.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Reid........he was NOT suspended

The best player on the Texans' 2021 roster never played a down. The team made quarterback Deshaun Watson inactive for all 17 games last season. Even as he remained mostly out of sight, Watson's presence on the 53-player roster hung over the organization.Mar 28, 2022

Why did Deshaun Watson not play in the 2021 season?

2021 NFL trade deadline: Keeping Deshaun Watson could prove beneficial for Texans, but it's also a gamble. The Houston Texans organization has decided it can live with paying Deshaun Watson to sit out this season amid his trade request and 22 sexual assault civil lawsuits against him.Nov 2, 2021

Is Deshaun Watson allowed to play in 2021?

Watson is technically eligible to play in 2021 as of this writing. The NFL has yet to suspend him and if the Texans so chose, they could insert him into the starting lineup. They just haven't taken that approach as they try to trade him while navigating the accusations levied against him.Oct 27, 2021

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He is a PR nightmare that is for sure; but as usual its all about the money and as long as they think he can make them winners they will shell out whatever is necessary.
And lets be blunt: the Brown fans are so desperate for a winner they will forgive him the minute he starts winning for them.
And this is a great example why the owners are leaving these disciplinary actions to the Commish and panel as these owners won’t police themselves which places the shield in jeopardy in public eye which not only effects the relationships with networks and sponsors but ultimately could get Congress oversight involved threatening their coveted tax exempt status and monopoly over tv contracts.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Reda this article. Its does a nice job of explaining where this thing is at. If Im Watson's side, Id already be complaining to the arbitrator that the league is violating their own policies by trying to put outside public pressure on this collectively bargained for process.

Oh how I would love to see the league be dumb enough to throw out their own arbitrator's decision after this is all done because they didnt like the outcome. I love the dram...lol

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/by-lea...g-pressure-to-cases-arbitrator-013416595.html

ESisback

Reaction score
Owners not held accountable? The biggest, wealthiest figures have a different standard? What a shocking revelation!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Reid........he was NOT suspended

The best player on the Texans' 2021 roster never played a down. The team made quarterback Deshaun Watson inactive for all 17 games last season. Even as he remained mostly out of sight, Watson's presence on the 53-player roster hung over the organization.Mar 28, 2022

Why did Deshaun Watson not play in the 2021 season?

You think the Texans didnt play Watson because of his trade request? Nah, they didnt play him because of the allegations against it. It was a de facto suspension in reality, though not technically. When, in the history of this league has a player of his talent been 100% healthy and forced to sit out an entire season? A player that was quickly given the most lucrative contract weve ever seen 100% guaranteed.

He was not officially suspended, but make no mistake, he was suspended.

Thats like saying someone that sat in jail for a full year awaiting trial and then found not guilty at trial and thus set free, didnt actually serve any time.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
he was paid... so a fine could be levied to deal with that???? IM not an expert on the Contract, but im wondering if fines can be levied on top of any lost wages due to a suspension. So since Watson too a preemptive strike by making his contract only have 1 million in salary this year, could he get an 8 game suspension and a 10 million dollar FINE.

I know this is in arbitration and ultimately she dishes out punishment, but COULD the league levy a fine?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You think the Texans didnt play Watson because of his trade request? Nah, they didnt play him because of the allegations against it. It was a de facto suspension in reality, though not technically. When, in the history of this league has a player of his talent been 100% healthy and forced to sit out an entire season? A player that was quickly given the most lucrative contract weve ever seen 100% guaranteed.

He was not officially suspended, but make no mistake, he was suspended.

Thats like saying someone that sat in jail for a full year awaiting trial and then found not guilty at trial and thus set free, didnt actually serve any time.
Unfortunately that’s not going to have any impact on the leagues decision, mostly because he was still paid. Your analogy doesn’t apply since Watson freedom nor wages weren’t interrupted. Texans simply decided not to play him.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Houston simply wanted no part of the PR disaster that would have followed had they played him.

The NFL isnt deciding his punishment, an arbitrator is......... until the punishment is not what the league wants, and they overrule her. Thats when the fun really begins.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
But if he’s suspended they won’t have to pay him. Bad news is they gave up all of those picks.
thats why the contract was structured in a way that even if he is suspended for the entire season, the money he loses will be pocket change. His team did a GREAT job of protecting their client, GREAT JOB.

No doubt the league is fuming over that fact and will try like hell to counter that move.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
he was paid... so a fine could be levied to deal with that???? IM not an expert on the Contract, but im wondering if fines can be levied on top of any lost wages due to a suspension. So since Watson too a preemptive strike by making his contract only have 1 million in salary this year, could he get an 8 game suspension and a 10 million dollar FINE.

I know this is in arbitration and ultimately she dishes out punishment, but COULD the league levy a fine?
They could just levy a fine. But there would probably be legal ramifications by the NFLPA union if he played without pay.

Most likely what the league is considering is a historic Suspension including not only 1 year but several hoops he might have to go thru to return after that.

Remember that while he’s settled financially on 20 of 24 of these lawsuits there are still 4 pending which could go to trial. The league may want to wait and see how they turn out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Houston simply wanted no part of the PR disaster that would have followed had they played him.

The NFL isnt deciding his punishment, an arbitrator is......... until the punishment is not what the league wants, and they overrule her. Thats when the fun really begins.
Yep and I salute Houston for how they handled it.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Unfortunately that’s not going to have any impact on the leagues decision, mostly because he was still paid. Your analogy doesn’t apply since Watson freedom nor wages weren’t interrupted. Texans simply decided not to play him.

when a judge passes out a sentence to a convicted criminal, lets say a 6 month punishment, and the person spent 4 months in jail awaiting trial, the person would get credit for that time served.

If im Watson team, Im arguing that fact at this arbitration hearing. My client already missed 17 games last year due to these allegations. I dont think that is really debatable. All comes down to the language in the CBA and if that kind of unofficial punishment is NOT covered in the CBA, that should be the first thing the players union goes after.

Many years ago when I was in college, I worked for UPS which has a strong union. This kind of scenario would never apply, because a worker that was told to stay home for 3 months, yet paid their salary while waiting any hearing would love it. In the case of an nfl qb, not playing costs them money, even though they were paid their salary.