News: PFT: Jason Garrett: Fired or not fired?

irving

Reaction score
so what and who decides if the new coach is a "Joke?"
Here is the 2018 hires:
John Gruden Raiders
Mike Vrabel Titans
Matt Patricia Lions
Frank Reich Colts
Steve Wilks Cards
Matt Nagy Bears
Pat Shurmur Giants

Out of all those teams, only 1 made the playoffs. They have had 2 seasons. So which of these are still considered to be good hires? Which are a "Joke?"

Here is the 2017 new hires:
Doug Marone Jacksonville
Sean McDermott Bills
Vance Joseph Broncos
Anthony Lynn Chargers
Sean McVay Rams
Shanahan Niners

Of those coaches, its just like drafting 1st rd qbs. Just by the way the nfl works, a couple have to be succesful. What is different about the niners this year? The QB. Look at all those hires that essentially kept the same qb..... allof them still suck, Hell, maybe even worse. Matt Patricia... you know, coming from the "Patriot Way." Bahahahahhhahahhhahhaha. talk about a joke.Face it, our QB is middle of the pack, and thus we are middle of the pack. The difference between 8-8 and 11-5 is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO small. Here, could we just have easily beaten the Jets? Patriots? Saints? and had we, we would be 11-5. The year we went to GB and lost in the DEz catch game, we were 12-4 and just as easily could have been 8-8.

Hire whomever, wont really matter in the end if Dak is our longtime guy. If Dak plays well, we will be succesful. If Dak plays like this year, we will stay around 8-8, even if we had Bill Walsh wearing a Cowboys headset.
Not to argue with you, but let me get this straight, you're saying as long as the quarterback plays a high level the team will be successful? Therefore we are saying high level quarterback play negates poor coaching, and poor play by the other two elements of the team. As for the Niners, most people will tell you that they are one of the most complete teams in the league. I think the Niner quarterback is a pretty good player, however when you watch them you realize they are a well constructed team on both sides of the ball.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Not to argue with you, but let me get this straight, you're saying as long as the quarterback plays a high level the team will be successful? Therefore we are saying high level quarterback play negates poor coaching, and poor play by the other two elements of the team. As for the Niners, most people will tell you that they are one of the most complete teams in the league. I think the Niner quarterback is a pretty good player, however when you watch them you realize they are a well constructed team on both sides of the ball.

lets look at the Titans. Marcus Marriota started and led the team to a 2-4 record........ that kind of winning % means you must have some seriously ****** coaching... coaching like that gets you fired. Ryan tannehill takes over in week 7 and goes 7-3 in their next ten games. You telling me that the coaching all of the sudden got better?
Weeks 1-6, crappy qb play, crappy results. Next ten weeks, Ryan played at a pro bowl level and team kicks some butt.... wow, the titans staff must have stayed late and put in extra time for that 10 game stretch.

The amazingly deep 49ers team was 4-12 in 2018 with a mixture of crappy QBs. The golden boy arrived in 2019 returning from injury and the team goes 13-3. Now it wasnt all Jimmy G, but did the coaching take some Vince Lombardi coaching classes during the off season that led to this turn around?

Last years Ravens were decent, slightly beter than avg and squeaked into the playoffs. Over summer Lamar is said to have worked his arse off in his passing game and has an mvp season. Surprisingly, with Jackson putting up an mvp season, the Ravens might be the best team in the NFL. Did Harbaugh get better over the Summer?

Reactions: CWR

irving

Reaction score
5-3, not 7-1.

Then they got Tyron, got Romo healthy, and proceeded to go 8-8 for 3 straight years.

The guy sucks.
You are spot on about Garrett, some people here simply don't want to just say Garrett was a mediocre to bad head coach. He had 4 opportunities to win divisional titles and each time he failed. Sure Jerry is a hindrance, but he wasn't coaching the team when they failed on
lets look at the Titans. Marcus Marriota started and led the team to a 2-4 record........ that kind of winning % means you must have some seriously ****** coaching... coaching like that gets you fired. Ryan tannehill takes over in week 7 and goes 7-3 in their next ten games. You telling me that the coaching all of the sudden got better?
Weeks 1-6, crappy qb play, crappy results. Next ten weeks, Ryan played at a pro bowl level and team kicks some butt.... wow, the titans staff must have stayed late and put in extra time for that 10 game stretch.

The amazingly deep 49ers team was 4-12 in 2018 with a mixture of crappy QBs. The golden boy arrived in 2019 returning from injury and the team goes 13-3. Now it wasnt all Jimmy G, but did the coaching take some Vince Lombardi coaching classes during the off season that led to this turn around?

Last years Ravens were decent, slightly beter than avg and squeaked into the playoffs. Over summer Lamar is said to have worked his arse off in his passing game and has an mvp season. Surprisingly, with Jackson putting up an mvp season, the Ravens might be the best team in the NFL. Did Harbaugh get better over the Summer?
Harbaugh is one of the best coaches in all of the NFL, he has won a Super Bowl. Harbaugh drafted Jackson after 31 teams passed on him as I'm sure you are aware of. Greg Roman the Offensive Coordinator for the Ravens redesigned the offense around Jacksons skill set. Are we to believe that if Garrett had Jackson he would have achieved the same results? All I'm trying to say is coaching makes a huge difference in the NFL, of course you need players, but I'm feel confident in saying that if Harbaugh were the cowboy coach and Dak was the quarterback, they would have won more than 8 games. If you feel better coaching would not have made a difference, then are you saying it's just players that win games and coaches are not relevant?

CWR

Reaction score

Great points but credit the Ravens coaching staff for tailoring the offense to LJ. I also believe all of those teams are very well rounded and have excellent running games.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You are spot on about Garrett, some people here simply don't want to just say Garrett was a mediocre to bad head coach. He had 4 opportunities to win divisional titles and each time he failed. Sure Jerry is a hindrance, but he wasn't coaching the team when they failed on
Harbaugh is one of the best coaches in all of the NFL, he has won a Super Bowl. Harbaugh drafted Jackson after 31 teams passed on him as I'm sure you are aware of. Greg Roman the Offensive Coordinator for the Ravens redesigned the offense around Jacksons skill set. Are we to believe that if Garrett had Jackson he would have achieved the same results? All I'm trying to say is coaching makes a huge difference in the NFL, of course you need players, but I'm feel confident in saying that if Harbaugh were the cowboy coach and Dak was the quarterback, they would have won more than 8 games. If you feel better coaching would not have made a difference, then are you saying it's just players that win games and coaches are not relevant?

Explain the titans. Yeah, yeah, Harbaugh won a SB. Switzer won a SB AND a COLEGE NATIONAL TITLE, but I suspect you will be saying he was an idiot. Lets take a peak at the teams in the playoffs.

AFC
Ravens
Chiefs
Pats
Texans
Titans
Bills

NFC
Niners
Packers
Seattle
Saints
Vikings
Eagles

Thats 12 teams, and one could argue that out of those 12 teams, the QBs on these teams account for 9 of the top qbs in the game. IM excluding the Eagles qb, who by the way would have been league MVP had he not been injured 2 years ago, Allen is in his 3rd season and has actually played quite wel, and Cousins, when on, can play ball. Coincidentally.... all of their coaches are stellar..???? bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Rocky would not have even dreamed about defeating Drago if not for that training montage.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Great points but credit the Ravens coaching staff for tailoring the offense to LJ. I also believe all of those teams are very well rounded and have excellent running games.
what I believe, is that all of the coaches in the NFL know their stuff..... ALL OF THEM. None of the yahoos in this foru know what it takes to coach in th eNFL. They spend countless hours in meetings and watching film. They are not dummies. It is amazing how a play called by Reid gets completely stuffed, only to have Mahomes roll out of trouble, scramble and chuck it 40 yards downfield for a TD and Reid gets credit for being am offensive guru, yet had Alex Smith still beeen QB, Reid would have just been another coach on that play.....lol

Name me a HOF coach that didnt have a HOF qb? Im sure there are some, but I know all of the "Greats," Walsh, KNoll, Landry, Biilly Boy... all have HOF qbs for most of their career.

Shula and Gibbs are the 2 that come to mind that kicked arse without a superstar QB. I think Griese is a HOFer, but cmon... he wasnt Montana.

Gibbs..... now that is the exception to the rule. That being said, while Theismann isnt in the HOF, he was certainly no slouch.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
by the way.... didnt the Titans have that same running game the first 6 games?

CWR

Reaction score
what I believe, is that all of the coaches in the NFL know their stuff..... ALL OF THEM. None of the yahoos in this foru know what it takes to coach in th eNFL. They spend countless hours in meetings and watching film. They are not dummies. It is amazing how a play called by Reid gets completely stuffed, only to have Mahomes roll out of trouble, scramble and chuck it 40 yards downfield for a TD and Reid gets credit for being am offensive guru, yet had Alex Smith still beeen QB, Reid would have just been another coach on that play.....lol

Name me a HOF coach that didnt have a HOF qb? Im sure there are some, but I know all of the "Greats," Walsh, KNoll, Landry, Biilly Boy... all have HOF qbs for most of their career.

Shula and Gibbs are the 2 that come to mind that kicked arse without a superstar QB. I think Griese is a HOFer, but cmon... he wasnt Montana.

Gibbs..... now that is the exception to the rule. That being said, while Theismann isnt in the HOF, he was certainly no slouch.

Anyone who coaches, or plays in this league is at the top of their profession. I think thats a given.

That said Andy Reid got a career year out of Alex Smith and Belicheck won 11 games with Matt Cassel. As you said there are exceptions, but I think it takes a combination of coaching and qb.

CWR

Reaction score
by the way.... didnt the Titans have that same running game the first 6 games?

First 6 69.3 yds per game
Last 10 124.8 yds per game

You could definitely argue Tanehill improved the team tremendously and helped the run game.

On the other hand why was Tany so bad in Miami?

ghst187

Reaction score

Harbaugh has always been good. He’s won with marginal teams and has a ring with a good team. He’s likely to get another this year. He won with Flacco. His brother took Krapernick to the SB. I honestly don’t even think Lamar is that great of a NFL talent but they’ve tailored the offense and team around what he does well and limited what he doesn’t.
Imagine that, it’s called freakin coaching.
JG can’t even win with very good teams and he’s had a lot of chances.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
First 6 69.3 yds per game
Last 10 124.8 yds per game

You could definitely argue Tanehill improved the team tremendously and helped the run game.

On the other hand why was Tany so bad in Miami?
There is NO DOUBT, with Tannehil, teams couldnt stack the line. With sorry Marriota, teams stacked the line. Clearly Tannehill was why the run game improved.

Tannehill could never stay healthy in Miami. His last year , I think it was his last, dude tore his ACL rolling out without being touched.....................in PRACTICE during training camp.

Reactions: CWR

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Harbaugh has always been good. He’s won with marginal teams and has a ring with a good team. He’s likely to get another this year. He won with Flacco. His brother took Krapernick to the SB. I honestly don’t even think Lamar is that great of a NFL talent but they’ve tailored the offense and team around what he does well and limited what he doesn’t.
Imagine that, it’s called freakin coaching.
JG can’t even win with very good teams and he’s had a lot of chances.
He won with possibly the greatest defesne the NFL has ever seen, and possibly the best LB/defensive player of the past 20 years.
Yea, Lamar isnt that good. He won the Heisman, rushed for over 1k this year, and threw the ball at an all pro level. You can call it coaching all you want, I call it a very talented player coming into his own. Not many rookie QBs throw for whatever it was Marino did in his rookie year. Harbaugh is a good coach, but take away the season he had a GREAT, not good, but GREAT defense, and none of his teams were ever anything other than good. Minus a 4-0 SB DUE TO THAT AMAZING DEFENSE, his playoff record is 6-6.
I like him, but lets be real, he proves my point that these guys are all the same without a super talent at QB.... the exception is a great defense, which he had.

cellarrodent

Reaction score
I think the more serious question here is, now that JG is gone, what "suitable & high profile coach with experience", is willing to come to DC, deal with the Jonz fam, and most importantly "Die His Hair Red"?

I really don't know any myself? So does this mean JJ's willing to stay outta the kitchen then...I don't believe that for even a minute!

Last edited:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I think the more serious question here is, now that JG is gone, what "suitable & high profile coach with experience", is willing to come to DC, deal with the Jonz fam, and most importantly "Die His Hair Red"?

I really don't know any myself? So does this mean JJ's willing to stay outta the kitchen then...I don't believe that for even a minute!
Hope Jerry does not scare top notch candidates away.