News: PFT: Jerry Jones defends Ezekiel Elliott’s lack of effort by pointing to other Cowboys

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly. His head coach basically says that they had an issue with Elliott on that play, but that they'd talk about it and it would likely not be a big deal.

And then here comes Jerry, basically undercutting his head coach, saying Elliott wasn't that bad because everyone else was bad too?

I like Jerry but these are times when he's his own worst enemy. When he gets ripped for enabling problem players, these are reasons why.

Yeah, they're your employees, not your kids.

erod

Reaction score
I was at a Cleveland Cavaliers game early in Lebrons career. He had the ball stolen from him (picked clean) at half court. Instead of chasing the guy down, he walked to the wing and did not even look back. That was on a play he was responsible for the error and one he had a chance to defend.......

That's two measly points in a basketball game. Touchdowns are worthy about 20 layups.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He ran hard in week one. This week, everybody's a target. I'm waiting for the AZ game before deciding whether or not there's a trend.

That's what I'm trying to do as well.

One team showed up in week one. They were great.

Another team showed up in week two. They were incompetent.

I'm trying to reserve judgement or full blown panic mode until I see which team shows up for week three.

Right now, I don't have a very good idea who they are.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here is what Jerry actually said:

"I think if you look at everybody’s reaction to that interception . . . certainly on that interception, if you really look at several Dallas Cowboys players on that interception you saw what would not be the case in a closely-contested ball game,” Jones said. “I think you can point to Zeke but you really have to look at the general effort to chase that ball down by most of the people that were on the field. Dak [Prescott] now, of course, gave it everything he had to try to contain that interception but still you look at it across the board and you’ll see that you need more effort than what you see.”

Florio is the one characterizing it as defending Elliott. In actuality, he's saying the whole team--except Dak--showed poor effort, and that includes Elliott.

Yes, but people still looking for an excuse to hate on the guy. Fans turn on players at the drop of a dime. After a few 150 yard games and Dak has like 10 TD passes, they will find another player to hate.

visionary

Reaction score
Jerry is a moron
Garrett led teams can't handle success and play with lack of emotion

In similar news, water is wet

Get used to it

superonyx

Reaction score
Big deal...Some people love to have a place to point a negative finger.
Publicly embarrassing a player isnt always (or ever) the best way to build people up. Zeke is a very talented young guy who is dealing with some real things right now.
Why in the world do you people think the best course of action is to have the Owner calling him out?

It's easy to play Internet tough guy who from behind a computer you act like you know exactly what a professional football player who you have never even met needs.
For all you know Jerry has been in close contact with Zeke's mom and dad and they have advised Jerry that Zeke needs love and support and not public shaming to appease the angry blood thirsty message board lunatics.

I don't know.. you don't know....At least i can admit that i don't.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott has become a lightning rod for criticism after a perceived (actual) lack of effort following a pair of interceptions on Sunday. Owner Jerry Jones has opted not to join in the criticism, at least not specifically. The most glaring incident happened when Broncos cornerback Chris Harris Jr. caught a tipped ..

Continue reading...

Feels like Jerry is taking about the pick six play.

superonyx

Reaction score
Yes, but people still looking for an excuse to hate on the guy. Fans turn on players at the drop of a dime. After a few 150 yard games and Dak has like 10 TD passes, they will find another player to hate.
This is how Philadelphia Fans act. They are a miserable group of people who managed tie their personal identity and satisfaction to the success or failings of a sports team.
I'm afraid we are getting uncomfortably close to that...Not a good look.

Swanny

Reaction score
Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott has become a lightning rod for criticism after a perceived (actual) lack of effort following a pair of interceptions on Sunday. Owner Jerry Jones has opted not to join in the criticism, at least not specifically. The most glaring incident happened when Broncos cornerback Chris Harris Jr. caught a tipped ..

Continue reading...
Am I the only one who thinks he's calling out all the guys who weren't hustling on the play?

I mean as a fan I can say its common to see guys fake jog when there's an interception. If only every guy was Don Beebe or Larry Allen. I understand why people are upset but why are we upset now and never before? It's a common play to see guys quit on interception returns. It's not right but was never made a big deal before

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Elliott is a lightening rod. Like Dez was. It's up to him now to deal with the monster he created.

On one hand, I don't feel bad for him. On the other, its bad for the team to let this stuff crystallize into a narrative about a single player. And Florio and his ilk will take that stuff and run with it if they can.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
with the pressure from the league and the fans and the media Elliot is in trouble and so are the cowboys the monster that Elliot created last season is going to come back and consume him a his team if they don't win at Arizona its going to get really ugly really fast will cost people their jobs jerry thinks he has a superbowl team here now

perrykemp

Reaction score
Does anyone know what Zeke weighed last year at this time vs now?

It should go without saying but I'm going to say it anyways- obviously lighting and angles have A LOT to do with how one's physique appears in a picture.

Hopefully we don’t devolve into the amount of analysis and debate spent on Eddy Lacey ‘fat pics’ that have swirled around for the past 4-5 years.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
with the pressure from the league and the fans and the media Elliot is in trouble and so are the cowboys the monster that Elliot created last season is going to come back and consume him a his team if they don't win at Arizona its going to get really ugly really fast will cost people their jobs jerry thinks he has a superbowl team here now

Losing in AZ is not going to cost anybody a job.

ALBIT

Reaction score

Continue reading...

Its part of the reason this team has not won anything in 20 years. Its a country club. I didnt expext him to scold him either in public. Say something like i was dissapointed to see that and it will be addressed. Defending him or anyone to me is the complete wrong way to go about it

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I say this taking ALL Zeke things into consideration.... not just this game.

I once thought of Zeke as a phenom/long term for Cowboys.

Now... I am not so sure... he may be forgettable ... soon... soon, meaning...in a couple of years.