News: PFT: Jerry Jones said he and Jason Garrett "have real trust"

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The LA game, obviously. I'm not just talking about this year however. You choose to read it as such. The goal of any team isn't just regular season success. Am I impressed that they went from what looks like a waste of a season to actually winning the division and making it to the divisional round? Yes, but at some point, you have to look at the body of work of a coach and look for trends.

With a different set of players, this same event keeps happening. Why do Garrett coached teams keep doing the same things offensively and fail to make adjustments both offensively and defensively? Why did they continue to stick with a playbook that fails in the end each and every time? Why did Jerry publicly choose to prove he doesn't trust Garrett offensively and neuter him by saying that Moore should come directly to him should Garrett object?

While I dislike Jerry's ways of handling things, that shows us something. Jerry thinks that Garrett has been holding the team back in certain ways....but he is loathe to admit that he made a mistake in sticking with Garrett and is trying to save face.

You can choose to blame this on Linehan. He does indeed share a large portion of the blame of the offensive woes. Who was his boss, however? Garrett. Garrett can't even manage his own coaches?

Like you I realize that the underlying issues of the team are Jerry and how he runs things and that Garrett might mitigate a little of that, but that doesn't mean I'm okay with them continuing to stick with what is proven not to get them past a divisional round even once, no matter the roster.

Hopefully Moore as OC will change things enough to make a difference.
I think it’s cumulatively a lack of talent , greater opposition talent and coaching along with the handicaps and defencencies our dysfunctional organization present.

I’ve never advocated Garretts coaching ability or what we haven’t accomplished instead focusing on what he has achieved with all of the distracting factors he must overcome with lack of experience and control. I believe he’s the best puppet we’ve had and can hope for.

I haven’t seen this team as one which while had an opportunity to go further in playoffs one that should have gone further. Mostly because of our talent and lack thereof.

We’ve been talent dependent for most of this era since the 90’s. Even with our greatest HC with Parcells since Jimmy we didn’t have any more success while building a better team as Garrett has now but as with Bill we have some weaknesses which are holding us back.

Elite coaching isn’t an asset Jerry’s willing to allow in order to pursue his personal ambitions. Until that changes our priority should be amassing as much talent as possible. Holding our coaching solely responsible is a cop out IMO. I’d be more apt to if I saw a more championship caliber roster and team here but to expect our coaching to be the difference simply is barking up the wrong tree IMO with Jerry.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We were talking about that one season....bro. After that season we went 9-7 when Zeke missed 6 games.....bro. The next season we started 3-5 with out replacing Dez or Witten and ended up winning the division and a playoff game....bro. That happens to be the last 3 seasons....bro
It’s all about fans who focus on what we haven’t accomplished overall vs what we did achieve considering the circumstances.

And why it ultimately comes down to a Super Bowl or Bust type mentality.

If they’re intent on holding someone accountable then they should point to the one who’s running football operations and hold his feet to the fire to force change. They haven’t and doesn’t appear they will. But yet they expect change.

Last edited:

ItzKelz

Reaction score
It’s all about fans who focus on what we haven’t accomplished overall vs what we did achieve considering the circumstances.

And why it ultimately comes down to a Super Bowl or Bust type mentality.

If they’re intent on holding someone accountable then they should point to the one who’s running football operations and hold his feet to the fire to force change. They haven’t and doesn’t appear they will. But yet they expect change.
We've seen change over the last 3 seasons. Winning a Superbowl is definitely the ultimate goal but to say we are not headed in the right direction and that the changes we have made lately are directly related to those changes is not accurate. IMO of course.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We've seen change over the last 3 seasons. Winning a Superbowl is definitely the ultimate goal but to say we are not headed in the right direction and that the changes we have made lately are directly related to those changes is not accurate. IMO of course.
Of course but to a segment of our fans or at least those in this forum heading in a better direction and the strides we’ve made isn’t enough unless we meet the ultimate goal. Apparently that’s the only measurement of success they have?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, to be fair, this Fan Base has been waiting for a long time. I've got kids who were born, have grown and have never seen a Cowboy team even make an NFC Championship, let alone win one and the goal is a Super Bowl. That's a long time to wait so I do understand the mentality. It's hard for me to blame anybody who is feed up with how things are run in the Cowboy Organization.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, this Fan Base has been waiting for a long time. I've got kids who were born, have grown and have never seen a Cowboy team even make an NFC Championship, let alone win one and the goal is a Super Bowl. That's a long time to wait so I do understand the mentality. It's hard for me to blame anybody who is feed up with how things are run in the Cowboy Organization.
True but we haven’t held those more accountable who are running the Cowboys Organization.

And honestly just because we have championship history doesn’t mean we have championships in our future. That entire mentality is the basis of what I’m referring to especially when those running our organization aren’t doing everything within their power to win a championship.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
True but we haven’t held those more accountable who are running the Cowboys Organization.

And honestly just because we have championship history doesn’t mean we have championships in our future. That entire mentality is the basis of what I’m referring to especially when those running our organization aren’t doing everything within their power to win a championship.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree. I don't really believe there will be change either because the organization is profitable. But having said this, I sympathize with the Fan Base who has to live with this. The fault here lies with Jerry IMO but so what right? Nothing we say or do will effect that. The only thing that really will is a decline in profitability IMO but there again, that's just my opinion. I am sure there is no shortage of posters who would disagree with my opinion and that's OK but this is how I see it. Unfortunately, the same thing that makes the Cowboys Fan Base great, is the same thing that allows for Jerry to continue down this path. We are going to continue to watch the Cowboys and we are going to continue to go to games and we are going to continue to buy gear and all of that is going to continue to keep the Cowboys profitable. We are a victim of our own love for the team right. It is what it is.