News: PFT: Jimmy Johnson ripped Jerry Jones' claim that Eagles bet it all for one year

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
Right. Then Jimmy didn't have as great of an owner in Miami and didn't have near the success.

Love the guy and it was awesome what he was able to do but IDK about the HOF. Obviously I am in a minority on that.
It’s amazing to me that you keep minimizing Jimmy’s contributions to this franchise while pimping for Jerry. It’s actually incredible.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well might as well kiss the ROH goodbye Jimmy…. But we all know who the real legend is..
Well jerry wasnt going to put him in while he is alive.
Also jimmy didnt rip jerry he just said phil wasnt a one year team.
What he said was pretty mild.

irishline

Reaction score
The football HOF is one of the easier halls to get into to. The baseball HOF is the legitimate shrine to truly great players.
Scott Rolen says hello. And I'm a Phillies fan.

I could name others but really that one invalidates that statement on its own. Never led the league in a single category in his career, was top in 20 MVP voting twice. Good to borderline great player? Sure. Hall of famer? Come on.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
They were literally worth 150 mil, and this was in the 80s. He deserves credit where credit is due: he helped make the Cowboys relevant again and it’s more intricate than what the product was/is on the field. His marketing and business acumen was a big part of it. I’m no Jerry fan, but he deserves credit here.
jerry bought the team at the perfect time, that was cheap even then.
few years later wash was sold to synder for 570 mil I think.

jerry did engineer the fox tv contract with nfl, which boosted all teams revenue, and soon they were all making good money and worth around a billion.

Jerry built the new super stadium, which boosted him up to the level he is now. He makes more per home game than pretty much all other teams.
he has more seats, hosted a SB, does other events which ordinary stadiums , outdoor ones cant do.
he waited for the best deal on stadium name and got a bundle from ATT.
He doesnt have to share merchandising $ like other teams do, not sure how he got that deal.

Anyone could have made $ with the cowboys but jerry being the greedy person he is has maximised the amount of money he makes each year.
He hired jimmy to get it started and parcells to get the stadium.

But no one is saying jerry isnt a good money maker, he excels at that.
it is being GM that he sucks at , always has always will.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Ok, but was it HOF worthy?

He also did it with an owner who gave him the leeway to do that and spent whatever it took to build those teams. Everyone forgets that...
the HOF thought so! lol
I think it was first ballot too.
most cowboys fans think so too.

Had jimmy stayed 2 more years he could have had 4 in SB wins in a Row. maybe 5

Ken

Reaction score
It’s amazing to me that you keep minimizing Jimmy’s contributions to this franchise while pimping for Jerry. It’s actually incredible.
It is isn't it?

Not an owner I would rather have in the NFL.

Love Jimmy, even was a huge fan while he was at the U. Just think his HOF credentials are weak. JMO though...I guess it makes me a bad fan.

Ken

Reaction score
the HOF thought so! lol
I think it was first ballot too.
most cowboys fans think so too.

Had jimmy stayed 2 more years he could have had 4 in SB wins in a Row. maybe 5
Agreed but he didn't. That is the problem.

He left....he cost us a CC because his ego was as big as Jerry's.

Sydla

Reaction score
It is isn't it?

Love Jimmy, even was a huge fan while he was at the U. Just think his HOF credentials are weak. JMO though...I guess it makes me a bad fan.
LOL.

I can't tell if you are trolling or are just that silly. He's looking at maybe 3 decades without a conference champ game if **** doesn't change real soon.

In what world would you conclude that Jerry is the best owner in the NFL given the run they are on? He's an owner that refuses to hire a real GM thinking he's done a fantastic job as GM. In the time Jerry has largely built this team as GM starting after the Jimmy/Jerry teams just got torn apart, the Eagles have made 7 NFCCG game, 3 SBs and one SB win (maybe 2).

The Eagles have more champ game appearances in that time frame than Jerry has playoff wins. How one then concludes Jerry is a better owner than Lurie is pretty funny. Lurie is a better owner because he understands his limitations and allows a real GM to build his team. Jerry doesn't understand his limitations, he doesn't see his faults, is unaware of his failings. It's why we are on the run we are on. It's not a surprise that Jerry's best run as owner was when he had a guy in Jimmy that had real power and say in personnel. Once Jerry took over by himself, the franchise flatlined.

Last edited:

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
One of the worst things is that I can see alternate realities. I can see this one very clear where Jerry realized what he had here, and did everything he could to keep it going. Jimmy stays coach as the Cowboys win 4 SBs in a row. He then moves to GM full time and passes off Head Coaching duties to whichever coach he thought best. Cowboys win at least 2 more SBs in the last 25 years.
the truth is....jimmy should have been our bill belicheck

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Johnson told the Philadelphia Inquirer that Lurie called him asking what Jones was talking about.
I believe it is highly likely many of Jerry Jones' fellow owners have been talking behind his back for decades. Jones has helped make their league uber-rich but his football management qualifications have been notably questionable for a long long time.

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
It is isn't it?

I wouldn't say that you're a bad fan. Who am I to judge others' fandom? I just disagree with you on both Jimmy and Jerry. To each his own.

Ken

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that you're a bad fan. Who am I to judge others' fandom? I just disagree with you on both Jimmy and Jerry. To each his own.
I can list a mile long list of reasons why Jerry is a great OWNER and deserves to be in the HOF.

I can come up with a few reasons why Jimmy deserves HOF honors.

That is my only point. I am glad he is in there but when i look at it, it seems like i would trade Woody for him in a second.

bigE79

Reaction score
If it wasnt for Jimmy, Jerry would argurably be the worst owner in the history of the sport or damn close to it.

Jimmy help build the dynasty and "America's team". Jerry has pretty much coasted in constant mediocrity since
I agree on most of what you said...but Jimmy had nothing to do with building "America's team"..that was all Tex Schramm.

Ken

Reaction score
LOL.

I can't tell if you are trolling or are just that silly. He's looking at maybe 3 decades without a conference champ game if **** doesn't change real soon.

In what world would you conclude that Jerry is the best owner in the NFL given the run they are on? He's an owner that refuses to hire a real GM thinking he's done a fantastic job as GM. In the time Jerry has largely built this team as GM starting after the Jimmy/Jerry teams just got torn apart, the Eagles have made 7 NFCCG game, 3 SBs and one SB win (maybe 2).

The Eagles have more champ game appearances in that time frame than Jerry has playoff wins. How one then concludes Jerry is a better owner than Lurie is pretty funny. Lurie is a better owner because he understands his limitations and allows a real GM to build his team. Jerry doesn't understand his limitations, he doesn't see his faults, is unaware of his failings. It's why we are on the run we are on. It's not a surprise that Jerry's best run as owner was when he had a guy in Jimmy that had real power and say in personnel. Once Jerry took over by himself, the franchise flatlined.
Ok, so you are taking Jeffrey Lurie over Jerry?

Jeffrey literally has done nothing (other than his team on the field being better in the postseason in the last 25) in the NFL.

BTW....JEFFREY (in my best Bill Cosby voice) has to win 2 more super bowls to tie JJ. 2.