News: PFT: Jimmy Johnson ripped Jerry Jones' claim that Eagles bet it all for one year

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Jerry sure doesn't. At least not football smarts.
Jerry bought the team for $150 million and now they’re worth around 8 billion. I'd say that's pretty good ownership and a good investment. Now his general management skills...

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Jerry bought the team for $150 million and now they’re worth around 8 billion. I'd say that's pretty good ownership and a good investment. Now his general management skills...
Anybody could have done that with the Cowboys. It was already a brand name with a large fan base.Tex Schramm and Tom Landry built the brand. I give credit to Jerry for continuing to make money while the team has been mediocre. But people like to live on hope. He never would have been able to do it if it weren't for Jimmy and those 3 titles in the 90's. Now if Jerry had bought the Chargers like he tried to do once and that made money I would be impressed. But every NFL team is worth billions of dollars. I get no satisfaction that we're number 1. lol

TheSport78

Reaction score
Anybody could have done that with the Cowboys. It was already a brand name with a large fan base.Tex Schramm and Tom Landry built the brand. I give credit to Jerry for continuing to make money while the team has been mediocre. But people like to live on hope. He never would have been able to do it if it weren't for Jimmy and those 3 titles in the 90's. Now if Jerry had bought the Chargers like he tried to do once and that made money I would be impressed. But every NFL team is worth billions of dollars. I get no satisfaction that we're number 1. lol
They were literally worth 150 mil, and this was in the 80s. He deserves credit where credit is due: he helped make the Cowboys relevant again and it’s more intricate than what the product was/is on the field. His marketing and business acumen was a big part of it. I’m no Jerry fan, but he deserves credit here.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
They were literally worth 150 mil, and this was in the 80s. He deserves credit where credit is due: he helped make the Cowboys relevant again and it’s more intricate than what the product was/is on the field. His marketing and business acumen was a big part of it. I’m no Jerry fan, but he deserves credit here.
Sorry but the only reason we became relevant again was because what happened on the football field. If you want to give him credit for hiring Jimmy and letting him do what he wanted than that's fine. But I'm not giving him anymore credit than that. He burned all that up with me years ago.

stiletto

Reaction score

I've never heard one person bash his business skills but his BS used car salesman tactics have spilled over into team operations for way TOO LONG.

TheSport78

Reaction score
Sorry but the only reason we became relevant again was because what happened on the football field. If you want to give him credit for hiring Jimmy and letting him do what he wanted than that's fine. But I'm not giving him anymore credit than that. He burned all that up with me years ago.
That’s fine, but I’m providing facts as to what Jerry did to make the Cowboys a billion dollar entity. You provided an opinion that “anyone could’ve done what Jerry did.”

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Philly isn't exempt from having to address free agency. They have a pile of players that will be up. It's not a stretch to suggest they won't be the same team next year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I haven’t heard what Jimmy said, but if he ripped Jerry in anyway that will pretty much put an end to any chance he has to get in the Cowboys ROH. He’s probably given up on getting in anyway.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don’t believe the Eagles went all in this year, they just made some solid moves during the offseason like most teams do to try and get better. While they were making moves like trading for AJ Brown we were moving on from Amari Cooper and trying to replace him with a jag who we ended up releasing during the season.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I had enough of the Jones' circus .... next season i won't bother caring much

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Which is really weird to me. How does he belong in the HOF? 2 super bowls and 80 wins?

He had a huge part in building those super bowl teams but not sure it is HOF worthy. If he did it again in Miami I would see it.
:laugh:"had a huge part". :laugh:

He built the best roster in the NFL in only 3 or 4 years, and won 2 SBs. How many coaches have won more than 2? 4 coaches? Winning 2 in such short order stands as one of the greatest accomplishments in NFL history.

Xeven

Reaction score
Jerry made only two good decisions in all his years with Cowboys. 1. He bought the Cowboys. 2. He hired Jimmy Johnson.
That is it.

Ken

Reaction score
:laugh:"had a huge part". :laugh:

He built the best roster in the NFL in only 3 or 4 years, and won 2 SBs. How many coaches have won more than 2? 4 coaches? Winning 2 in such short order stands as one of the greatest accomplishments in NFL history.
Ok, but was it HOF worthy?

He also did it with an owner who gave him the leeway to do that and spent whatever it took to build those teams. Everyone forgets that...

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Ok, but was it HOF worthy?

He also did it with an owner who gave him the leeway to do that and spent whatever it took to build those teams. Everyone forgets that...
Because that's what a good owner is supposed to do. Why do you think Tom Landry was successful. It was because Clint Murchison gave him the authority. Do you think Parcells, Shula, Belicheck or any great coach could succeed without some sort of control. Jerry changed the way the organization was run after the first SB and he chased Jimmy away. And he's proven to be a bad GM ever since.

sideon

Reaction score
Imagine criticizing a team that's getting ready to play in the SB. Jerry is mad because his bargain basement shopping is giving him the results he wanted, so he's trying to criticize the teams that have more success than him.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Jimmy saw through that BS just like all of us did.

Jerry is just trying to make up excuses at this point, he has no idea how to build a team and 27 years of failure prove it.

And the Eagles did not mortgage their future, they have 4 picks in the top 100 this year, including a top 10 pick. And they are in the SB.

But yeah Jerry, go ahead and make fun of a real team that actually takes steps to win and improve, enjoy watching them from your couch this Sunday.

Ken

Reaction score
Because that's what a good owner is supposed to do. Why do you think Tom Landry was successful. It was because Clint Murchison gave him the authority. Do you think Parcells, Shula, Belicheck or any great coach could succeed without some sort of control. Jerry changed the way the organization was run after the first SB and he chased Jimmy away. And he's proven to be a bad GM ever since.
Right. Then Jimmy didn't have as great of an owner in Miami and didn't have near the success.

Love the guy and it was awesome what he was able to do but IDK about the HOF. Obviously I am in a minority on that.