News: PFT Kirk Cousin advice to Dak: Franchise tag can be your friend

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
"If the Cowboys can’t work out a long-term deal with their quarterback by March 9, they are expected to use the $37.7 million franchise tag on him.

That would buy the Cowboys four months to get a long-term agreement with Prescott or risk his potential departure in 2022."

I don't have much doubt they will tag him, because of the injury. Dak's just now getting to the point where he can recover from the injury, and most expectations were that it would be April before he can do any real work, so the Cowboys will be able to take the 4 months to see how the ankle healing goes...
Agreed.

This is what I said last week. Makes sense why Jerry and Stephen are dragging this out right now. I don't blame them for being cautious. That was a serious injury Dak took to his right lower leg...right where all of your body weight bears down on for support.

It would be smart for Jerry and Stephen to tag Dak for a second time ($37.7 million cost). That would definitely give them the time as you said for them to further evaluate Dak's leg. If Dak is able to show he has healed and is able to make football moves on it without any serious setbacks or problems, Jerry and Stephen would then be likely to give Dak a longterm contract probably somewhere between $35 - $37.5 mil / season. It would work for both parties, but Jerry and Stephen are doing their due diligence right now to be hesitant. It's because they do want to keep Dak, but they are being careful about it for the team's best interest.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I know this may sound strange but maybe, just maybe this is all part of a long-term strategy. Give Dak a couple of nice pay-days via two tags ( $31 and $37M ) and take the best at signing him before the 3rd tag. This way they would have had his service SIX years for around $72M or an average of $12M per year. I know it's a bit off the wall but THREE years they've been dragging their feet knowing his price is going up with every year it's not done. Just not sure this happens to a player you're 100% certain you wanna keep.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
"If the Cowboys can’t work out a long-term deal with their quarterback by March 9, they are expected to use the $37.7 million franchise tag on him.

That would buy the Cowboys four months to get a long-term agreement with Prescott or risk his potential departure in 2022."

I don't have much doubt they will tag him, because of the injury. Dak's just now getting to the point where he can recover from the injury, and most expectations were that it would be April before he can do any real work, so the Cowboys will be able to take the 4 months to see how the ankle healing goes...

I don't know......Stephen has already said the injury has no impact on nego coz it's not career threatening. Besides they could easily put a couple of injury protection clauses in the deal. Just me, but I don't think it will have any impact.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I know this may sound strange but maybe, just maybe this is all part of a long-term strategy. Give Dak a couple of nice pay-days via two tags ( $31 and $37M ) and take the best at signing him before the 3rd tag. This way they would have had his service SIX years for around $72M or an average of $12M per year. I know it's a bit off the wall but THREE years they've been dragging their feet knowing his price is going up with every year it's not done. Just not sure this happens to a player you're 100% certain you wanna keep.

Agree for the most part, though despite all the love from Jerry and Stephen for Dak in the media, I suspect Stephen has a bit of reservation about Dak being able to be a SB-winning quarterback, it doesn't take a football genius to see Dak has his faults, too many missed throws and his pocket presence isn't that sparkling if nothing else.

Tagging Dak will put a dent in the cap this year, how much of a dent depends on what the cap is, that's still a bit up in the air. But I think it's entirely possible Stephen, and maybe Jerry, may be willing to bite the bullet and take one last long look at Dak before they go all in with the big contract, if they can't hammer out a long term deal before the tag comes due.

One things for sure, whatever happens some here will be very upset....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I don't know......Stephen has already said the injury has no impact on nego coz it's not career threatening. Besides they could easily put a couple of injury protection clauses in the deal. Just me, but I don't think it will have any impact.

Maybe not, but it won't hurt to wait out the next couple of months...

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Agree for the most part, though despite all the love from Jerry and Stephen for Dak in the media, I suspect Stephen has a bit of reservation about Dak being able to be a SB-winning quarterback, it doesn't take a football genius to see Dak has his faults, too many missed throws and his pocket presence isn't that sparkling if nothing else.

Tagging Dak will put a dent in the cap this year, how much of a dent depends on what the cap is, that's still a bit up in the air. But I think it's entirely possible Stephen, and maybe Jerry, may be willing to bite the bullet and take one last long look at Dak before they go all in with the big contract, if they can't hammer out a long term deal before the tag comes due.

One things for sure, whatever happens some here will be very upset....

I'm just thinking back to how easily they got Romo and Aikiman deals done. In other words, they've never been shy about taking care of their franchise QBs.......unless he's not so franchise (lol).

Redline360

Reaction score
Cousins is one of those regular season powerhouses but yet has to overcome the post season blues. Why he gets labeled as a quarterback who can't lead his team when it matters. Sound familiar.....

Only quarterback over the past 6 seasons to throw 3000 yards and 25tds.

Since 2015
2nd completion percentage
4th in pass yards
5th in tds
6th in wins

Stats don't mean **** when you have no playoff success. If Kirk had better playoff success he would be talked about as one of the great QBs in football but yet no one does.

Last edited:

Hardline

Reaction score
Cowboys just need to make a preemptive strike and do everything possible to get Fields,Wilson or Lance.
Cover your *** .

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think they'll sign him this offseason...but this logic definitely applies to the situation last year. Why give him ~$38 when you can give him $31?

Last year was 1 year, ~$31m. If Dak now signs for 4x$160, it's really a 5x$191 extension. The extra year at $31 was always easy for the Cowboys to stomach, they didn't have a ton of reason to push for a deal last year.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I think Jerry and Stephen need to admit they blew this one,( not getting it done earlier ) bite the bullet and either give him what he wants or trade him......now! Not sure there will ever be a stronger trade market than the one going on right now for QBs. Hell, Vegas just release the odds of a Wilson to Cowboys trade 2nd most likely behind the Raiders. Also have seen tweets suggesting a straight Watson for Dak trade. My point, dragging this out any further makes no sense, either get it done or move on.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ak-prescott-franchise-tag-can-be-your-friend/

Kirk Cousins’ contract advice to Dak Prescott: Franchise tag can be your friend
Posted by Charean Williams on February 10, 2021, 7:50 PM EST

All those tweets and articles that are nothing but speculation mean as much as winning a subscription to Plumber's Digest magazine.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think Jerry and Stephen need to admit they blew this one,( not getting it done earlier ) bite the bullet and either give him what he wants or trade him......now! Not sure there will ever be a stronger trade market than the one going on right now for QBs. Hell, Vegas just release the odds of a Wilson to Cowboys trade 2nd most likely behind the Raiders. Also have seen tweets suggesting a straight Watson for Dak trade. My point, dragging this out any further makes no sense, either get it done or move on.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ak-prescott-franchise-tag-can-be-your-friend/

Kirk Cousins’ contract advice to Dak Prescott: Franchise tag can be your friend
Posted by Charean Williams on February 10, 2021, 7:50 PM EST
you lost me at "advice from Kirk Cousins." No offense Hawk. BTW...JJ and Stevie didn't mess up last offseason. It was Dak's agent Todd France. He was trying to dangle Daks potential deal like a carrot to his new employer heading into 2021...so now all the pressure is on France to make good on this windfall deal that could be in the works for Frances' new agency. Ii think that is why a deal wasn't struck last year. Dak was clearly used like Bait. The offer made was fair last year. I expect this deal gets done soon. Despite ole Todd.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Mike Fisher has a couple great vids on YT explaining what happened last offseason with Daks deal and Todd France. Put it this way, Todd better come thru or this could ruin him. Its all on him now. Jerry wants Dak to be here.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Can't judge Dak, don't know the man, don't know all his financial details and most of all don't know what he's asked for, or what he was offered. (For certain, sure there's lots of "reliable sources but who knows if they're legit or just blowing smoke?).

But from seeing him on various commercials, and knowing what athletes make from those, geez Dak, how many millions do you need?

blueblood70

Reaction score
and never win thing in your career, great advice..make that cash brah..dont worry about the team at all..i realize all key str payers have some big deals but the qb makes 2.5 times that biggest other eal..it matters how an owner can at least have qb under a more team friendly structure, dak balked at it..so his days could be numbered here..

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Does Dak have leverage, now that it is reported Russel Wilson is not happy in Seattle? If I was Jerry I would go get him. Trade Dak, the 10th pick, and other picks for him.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Does Dak have leverage, now that it is reported Russel Wilson is not happy in Seattle? If I was Jerry I would go get him. Trade Dak, the 10th pick, and other picks for him.
JERRY has the leverage IMO. Daks agent took a HUGE gamble last offseason. Dak should have fired the POS. Because of what Todd France could loose money and cred-wise, I think all the pressure will be on the agent squarely to get it done. I think it will.

Rayman70

Reaction score
LOL. Cousins can't even stay with one team & he's giving Dak advice!
agree. Its like taking advice from the bank robber on how to best rob a bank AFTER he failed and got caught lol...Kirk is well on his way out of Minny within 1 years time IMO...Dak is still on the upswing.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Can't judge Dak, don't know the man, don't know all his financial details and most of all don't know what he's asked for, or what he was offered. (For certain, sure there's lots of "reliable sources but who knows if they're legit or just blowing smoke?).

But from seeing him on various commercials, and knowing what athletes make from those, geez Dak, how many millions do you need?
He needs what everyone else got. Baker Mayfield salary won't be reduced because he's in a bunch of commercials.