PFT: Manningham gets a 6 on the Wonderlic

QT

Reaction score
39 here. How in the heck do you attend college and score a 6?

adamknite

Reaction score
burmafrd;2049952 said:
I think we need to see the exact test that Manningham took for anyone to be able to make a call on whether it was tough or not. The one I took had a couple of tricky questions that caught me thinking one way and I needed to go another. Its no disgrace at all missing on those. But missing on a question that simply asked which month of the year is the 9 month is a whole other story.

The Wonderlic isn't really a true intelligence test, it's a decision making test.

Well part of the test isn't necessarily how hard the question is, it's a question where you have to think fast because you have limited time. What month is the 9th month isn't hard, but when you have say 10 seconds to answer it, you might rush, and screw up.

hairic

Reaction score
I got a 50 with about 40 seconds left. I think it's like those online IQ tests - not realistic.

BTW, I was conflicted on how to answer the shapes one as it could be argued that either 4 or 5 is correct. 5 is the only one with no parallel lines and 4 has no right angles. I guessed and got the right one, but that held me for about 15 seconds.

rbr651

Reaction score
For anyone defending this kid, he really is a true idiot how he got so far in school is beyond me. Maybe he can play ball and that is what should matter.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html

take this practice Wonderlic test, it took me the first 6 questions to score a 6, maybe that's all the questions he answered also.

Guess i should read entire thread before i post.

firehawk350

Reaction score
Avery;2049868 said:
What makes me more leery is how guys can get scores this low and often get degrees from a major college institution.

Having gone to school here at the University of Utah and knowing a few people here and there, I know for a fact that certain players got passing grades that were never in class and even when they were, had no idea what they were doing. In a geology class here, one player was asked to name the three types of rocks (Igneous, Sedimentary, Metamorphic). This was learned on pretty much the first day and brought up every day since.

His answer, and I kid you not, was hard rocks, big rocks and small rocks. He somehow ended up with a B in the class despite not showing up for the final (found that out by talking to him at a party a few weeks after).

Isn't the case with every player or program, but it exists and is probably more rampant than one may think.
chill.php

I was RUNNING!

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
hairic;2049973 said:
I got a 50 with about 40 seconds left. I think it's like those online IQ tests - not realistic.

BTW, I was conflicted on how to answer the shapes one as it could be argued that either 4 or 5 is correct. 5 is the only one with no parallel lines and 4 has no right angles. I guessed and got the right one, but that held me for about 15 seconds.

That's funny, because neither of those is what they were after: all the shapes had 4 sides except #4, which had six.

I got a 44 for the same reason as someone else above: I didn't realize there were only 9 questions, so I was rushing and missed "Pino" vs. "Pina".

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jimnabby;2050011 said:
That's funny, because neither of those is what they were after: all the shapes had 4 sides except #4, which had six.

I got a 44 for the same reason as someone else above: I didn't realize there were only 9 questions, so I was rushing and missed "Pino" vs. "Pina".
I guess that's why it is the "most" different. Whereas #5 has a single difference, #4 has two differences.

notherbob

Reaction score
Whoever drafts him and gives him a playbook will probably also have to give him some crayons so he can color the pictures.

FCBarca

Reaction score
The irony, of course, is that he is a 'student-athlete' at the University of Michigan, the Harvard of the midwest. :rolleyes:

Comical really, how dumb a lot of these guys are

Hoofbite

Reaction score
BigTimeCowboy;2049803 said:
A 6 for a WR isn't THAT bad...for a QB i would be worried.

what? A 6 for a 3rd grader is bad. Literally, A 6 is almost ********.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The Wonderlic is a decent short measure of intelligence. It isn't the best measure out there but teams don't want to give hour long tests to people.

At best it is a decent GROSS indicator of intelligence -- to use this right, you would simply use it along with other information -- for Manningham this will be a killer because people are already questioning his smarts.

What people fail to realize is that this is not a test of a) effort or dedication, b) attitude, or c) football smarts. So saying "so and so" scored high and failed is a pretty lame argument against the test.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
burmafrd;2049908 said:
Some of those questions are pretty tricky. Scored a 39.

not so much tricky as requiring considerable attention to detail ... that piece is pretty useful for measuring the type of smarts a player needs

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
adamknite;2049961 said:
The Wonderlic isn't really a true intelligence test, it's a decision making test.

Well part of the test isn't necessarily how hard the question is, it's a question where you have to think fast because you have limited time. What month is the 9th month isn't hard, but when you have say 10 seconds to answer it, you might rush, and screw up.

An excellent point. While I scored a 9, I consider what I do for a living, my age, education and the activities as part of that will have a bearing on how I score. As somebody who routinely reviews other prople's work and who's activity is at least 60% behind a desk, I probably have an advantage over someone who does more physical activity than that. Having said that, let's remember that I also (as a 5'10" 200 lb, 54 year old male) am less likely to run a 4.4 40 yd dash. ;) The Wonderlic test does not appear to be one of the more critical tests in determining a player's future. I would also view this sample as just that. I don't know how I would score on the full version.

I would be interested in knowing how Jamaal Charles scored, as there has been information on various sites questioning his intelligance. I've heard one interview and I'll admit I had trouble understanding him. In fairness to him, I would question the value of one interview in measuring intelligence.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I got all 9 correct, which apparently is a 50.

Good God, how do you score a 6?

CPonder14

Reaction score
hairic;2049973 said:

all the objects have 4 sides except 1 which is choice #4.