News: PFT: Mike Nolan: Cowboys will strive to create more turnovers

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Cowboyny

Cowboyny Well-Known Member

457 Messages
    580 Likes Received
    Bryon isn't elite but he is expected to be paid like one. Strictly a press CB, who struggles in zone, considered a below average tackler and possesses zero ball skills/instincts. Unless you acquire a Ramsey or Peterson, I wouldn't pay top dollar at the position.

In 2007, I saw a Giants Team loaded up front with pass rushers and a real banged up secondary with several castoffs. They dominated teams in the playoffs with their front. That's what we have to build here. Throw the money in the trenches.

Patrick, 817Gill and quickccc like this.
  2. quickccc

quickccc Well-Known Member

2,880 Messages
    2,116 Likes Received
    We actually did that under Richard. That's why he insisted on bigger CBs in press bump n run man coverage. To wear down opposing WRs.
    That's what helped Byron excel as such after Richard moved him to CB.

problem was players such as Awuzie and Brown couldn't always show up in press coverage and gave up plays.

3. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

22,450 Messages
    14,791 Likes Received
    It would seem like a "gambler" like Lewis would better fit his approach, so I won't be surprised if Lewis and Awuzie are our starters next year. I am concerned about depth, though, especially if Brown leaves too.

I think Byron is a very good corner and I'd like to keep him simply because I don't like letting good players walk, but I think just being a corner that doesn't get the ball thrown at him much isn't going to be enough to get paid here what he will be seeking.

Frankly, if we can get either Prescott or Cooper signed, I'd probably put the transition tag on Jones so that we can sort out the corner situation this next year before making a decision on who the best fits are. We don't get better by weakening the roster.

quickccc likes this.
  4. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

61,311 Messages
    67,557 Likes Received
    The Jones decision is a tough one, but a necessary one. It's funny how quickly the cornerback position went from a perceived strength to a huge question mark.

Corso likes this.
  5. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

17,572 Messages
    12,739 Likes Received
    When we actually blitzed. That was far and few between from watching the games. It was maddening.

6. robbesser

robbesser New Member

6 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Honestly the bigger problems with our D is tackling and over-pursuing. Learn that first then worry about takeaways.

FanSince71 likes this.
  7. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,253 Messages
    697 Likes Received
    Sure didn't seem like it since our DB's were taught to not look for the ball in the air but to look at the receiver catching the ball instead.

links18 likes this.
  8. DandyDon52

DandyDon52 Well-Known Member

11,070 Messages
    6,540 Likes Received
    So they will have all new def coaches, and scheme, and you think byron and others play exactly like they did last year ??:huh:

Any player on the team could be way different under new scheme and coaches.:flagwave:

9. Wichitaleafs

Wichitaleafs Active Member

146 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Rinse and repeat for 20 years now.

10. quickccc

quickccc Well-Known Member

2,880 Messages
    2,116 Likes Received
    Not true, I don't buy into that at all.
    Byron for example has shown that his awareness in zones and off cushion makes him a lesser effective player than what he is in man coverage.
    Why would you place him in something(scheme) that he is not any good at and make him that lesser of a player ?

11. Hennessy_King

Hennessy_King Well-Known Member

8,698 Messages
    12,463 Likes Received
    Just do it at this point. Bumanelli said this crap every year

stilltheguru and JayFord like this.
  12. JayFord

JayFord Well-Known Member

5,267 Messages
    8,540 Likes Received
    Good

this defense absolutely sucks at getting turnovers

ill gladly allow more yards and even 6 extra points if we can get 2-3 turnovers a game which we should score atleast 14 points off of

13. Fizziksman

Fizziksman BanditHiro

4,124 Messages
    2,116 Likes Received
    no. we have been striving to not give up big plays.

FanSince71, links18 and JayFord like this.
  14. Oneiros

Oneiros Well-Known Member

441 Messages
    603 Likes Received

So in other words Byron is likely gone given his cost and his inability to create turnovers.

links18 and 817Gill like this.
  15. 817Gill

817Gill Well-Known Member

2,134 Messages
    3,154 Likes Received
    Exactly what I hope happens. We can rebuild our corner group in 2 off seasons pretty smoothly if we tag BJ

conner01 likes this.
  16. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

13,375 Messages
    16,999 Likes Received
    Wait and see mode.

Hopefully, it's better than the bend and nearly break defense we had.

17. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

3,948 Messages
    5,051 Likes Received
    Isn't this the goal for every defense? Create turnovers, stop the run, stop the pass, tackle, keep teams out of the end zone etc.. You know.. the basics!

18. 817Gill

817Gill Well-Known Member

2,134 Messages
    3,154 Likes Received
    You’d think so but on blitzes especially you could see the miscoordination between D-Line and DB’s. We would often play off coverage while sending 5, which is ridiculously stupid. The QB throws hot every time and it’s an easy 5 yds before first contact.

Scheme is as much about complementing different position groups within a play as it is about keeping the offense guessing. We seemed to never match up the front 7 with the back 4 nearly enough and it was a huge issue.

19. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

14,957 Messages
    23,694 Likes Received
    That would be a welcomed improvement.

20. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

2,772 Messages
    1,697 Likes Received
    Every defensive coordinator says that every year. Hopefully his scheme and the players that get brought in can actually make that happen. I can't remember the last time we had a defense that was close to the top of the league in creating turnovers

stilltheguru likes this.