PFT picks up on Werder heckling video... ESPN response Post #18/Producer warned

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2496954 said:
ESPN RESPONDS TO WERDER HECKLING INCIDENT

Posted by Mike Florio on December 15, 2008, 3:46 p.m.

Earlier in the day, we posted a blurb about the must-see video of a guy named “Cowboy Chris” invoking “freedom of speech, freedom of [the] press, freedom of religion” while mercilessly heckling ESPN’s Ed Werder, who was attempting to file a report from Dallas Cowboys headquarters at Valley Ranch.

Making the incident even more intriguing to us was the profane reaction of the ESPN producer, identified to us via a source as “Sean.”

“Sean” used the “F” word by our count at least nine times toward Cowboy Chris.

We contacted ESPN for a response to the incident, and here’s what spokesman Josh Krulewitz had to say: “Someone was yelling at our crew, preventing them from doing their job. The producer used language that was over the line and we have addressed that with him.”

In our view, just as troubling than the language was the condescending attitude that the producer displayed toward a guy who falls smack dab in the middle of ESPN’s prime demographic for its various products and platforms. People like Cowboy Chris are ESPN’s best customers, because they constantly are searching for information about their favorite teams, and they’re relying on ESPN’s television, print, and broadcast programming to get it.

So when “Sean” repeatedly tells Cowboy Chris to “get a f–king life” for doing that which true fans (short for “fanatics”) do, “Sean” is basically projecting a sense that, in his capacity as an ESPN producer, he regards true fans as losers.

Here’s the reality, “Sean,” without Cowboy Chris and thousands more like him, “I work for ESPN” would be a far less effective pick-up line.

And, based on your YouTube debut, it looks like you need all the help you can get.

Wow. ESPN pwned by Florio.

Interesting point of view.... I hadn't thought of that.

newlander

Reaction score
QFT: The gofer clown that tries to intimidate CC is a real tough guy: looks like a Jersey greaser for sure.

BTW:I love your new picture of Hallie Berry Yo Mick....she's as yummy as ever...

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I've trashed PFT my fair share of times over some of the past stuff but I'll give credit where credit is due.

That is an excellent piece and a great take on the situation.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Galloway was just talking about it and called the dude an idiot.

I loved it personally.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Who knew being a gofer qualified you as a producer at BSP...err, I mean ESPN?

YAKUZA

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheCount;2496994 said:
Sean should be fired, but he won't be.
I don't think he should be fired for that. Reprimanded, yeah.

It cracks me up how this took off.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
USA today also wrote an article about it but now I cant find it!

Verdict

Reaction score
I really enjoyed Cowboy Chris' YouTube video of him verbally lashing Ed Werder. I am just curious if there have been any punishment meted out by ESPN on the person who used profanity toward Cowboy Chris. I thought his aggressive demeanor was even worse than the profanity. ESPN should terminate him immediately.

Daudr

Reaction score
Hoofbite;2497124 said:
Being an *** hole shouldn't get someone fired.

No, but being a *** hole to your customers should, and that is what that producer did.

Verdict

Reaction score
Hoofbite;2497124 said:
Being an *** hole shouldn't get someone fired.

In this case it is obvious to me that the guy who walked up to Cowboy Chris was trying to intimidate him. I think he should be fired for that, not just the profanity.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
In the PFT thread there is a post about ESPN's response to the video. At minimum the producer was talked to.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Daudr;2497132 said:
No, but being a *** hole to your customers should, and that is what that producer did.

Hes a customer in the most distant and loosely interpreted meaning of the word.

Not enough to be fired IMO.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Verdict;2497118 said:
I really enjoyed Cowboy Chris' YouTube video of him verbally lashing Ed Werder. I am just curious if there have been any punishment meted out by ESPN on the person who used profanity toward Cowboy Chris. I thought his aggressive demeanor was even worse than the profanity. ESPN should terminate him immediately.

:rolleyes:

If you're going to act like an idiot you may as well expect to be treated as one.

VCDefectors

Benched
Reaction score
Way to go CowboyChris!!

I just love it when a YouTube vid becomes a national headline like that.

Ed Werder has been asking for something like this for a long time. He really is a journalistic hack.

khiladi

Reaction score
Sean, in no way whatsoever, should be fired over an issue like this. That guy was trying to do his job and get filming done... You people are seriously over-reacting...

Werder, on the other hand, can lose his job, because he seems to flat-out lie. Of course he is going to stick to the whole, "my sources" claim, because if he flat out says he made the crap up, he would look even more foolish and may be flat-out fired, whether ESPN wants to fire him or not. Werder would essentially be admitting that he lied and his credibility goes down the drain.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Rampage;2496974 said:
Cowboy Chris is a cowboyszone legend! Cowboy Chris has my vote for the cowboyszone hall of fame.

Merciless Cowboy Chris....

Its not as effective as Merciless Ray Mercer..... but it will do :laugh2:

Hostile;2497084 said:
I don't think he should be fired for that. Reprimanded, yeah.

It cracks me up how this took off.

Absolutely.
I thought the same thing.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
The only thing missing from that guy Sean was a blowout haircut and him doing the Jersey Fist Pump to some sweet techno beats.