PFT picks up on Werder heckling video... ESPN response Post #18/Producer warned

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
On one hand, CC takes it to the extreme. Though this time no kids were in sight.

On the other, it is his right.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2497299 said:
On one hand, CC takes it to the extreme. Though this time no kids were in sight.

On the other, it is his right.

He said NOTHING that would have been inappropriate in front of children. Nothing!

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
khiladi;2497229 said:
Sean, in no way whatsoever, should be fired over an issue like this. That guy was trying to do his job and get filming done... You people are seriously over-reacting...

Werder, on the other hand, can lose his job, because he seems to flat-out lie. Of course he is going to stick to the whole, "my sources" claim, because if he flat out says he made the crap up, he would look even more foolish and may be flat-out fired, whether ESPN wants to fire him or not. Werder would essentially be admitting that he lied and his credibility goes down the drain.

Hu? This idiot had to know it was being filmed. His demeanor and attitude couldn't have been more unprofessional. Now I'm sure he had no idea how huge this was going to be but a guy in that position has to that much more careful. Maybe they will keep him on as the executive wash room guy.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2497321 said:
Hu? This idiot had to know it was being filmed. His demeanor and attitude couldn't have been more unprofessional. Now I'm sure he had no idea how huge this was going to be but a guy in that position has to that much more careful. Maybe they will keep him on as the executive wash room guy.

He was CLEARLY rattled and wanted to fight. I saw it in the video... I didnt need "anonymous sources" to report that.

:lmao2:

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
YoMick;2497317 said:
He said NOTHING that would have been inappropriate in front of children. Nothing!

...employee look so bad was the calm demeanor CC and the ???police officer??? displayed in their conversation to each other.

The employee could plainly see that there was a camera on him and there were other individuals present. In a crowd your behavior has multiple reference points to be compared to.

Not everyone is going to enjoy CC's approach to Ed Werder, but clearly there isn't a person I know of who would condone the ESPN employee's actions as an acceptable way to behave in public.

It's not like he only did it once. He came back two other times. It's clearly a situation of three strikes and you're out!

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
T.O. calling out Werder after the game underscores the significance of what CowboyChris did. I wonder if T.O. saw the youtube clip.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Hoofbite;2497124 said:
Being an *** hole shouldn't get someone fired.

This fellow was ON THE JOB working at the time he behaved this way. It's not like he was on his own time at a club, heard someone bad mouthing ESPN and was like, "Hey, wait a second, I work there ... screw you!"

Could you really walk to the curb at your work and go berate someone with four-letter words -- and with other people and a camera around, no less?

Doesn't seem acceptable.

Cowboy Chris didn't draw the line. Was it disrespectful to Ed Werder? Sure. But then, that would seem to be intent. But he kept his cool, didn't curse and didn't disobey the law. He was also on his free time at the time.

There are hecklers in a lot of professions -- comedians, athletes, movie stars, journalists. This ESPN fellow didn't handle it very appropriately. The fact he actually dropped the "ESPN" line, while harmless, makes him look like an even bigger tool.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I was telling Cowboy Chris exactly what Florio is saying in his report in regards to how the ESPN rep handled things and he's going to get canned as soon as this gets out and it will. It's hillarious how everyone shares the same sentiment about how the security guard was amused himself and was actually on Chris' side. Florio found out about the video because guys were blogging on his website about this. Just awesome how quickly the information gets out.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
I believe that the bottom line with the Sean guy is that he is there representing a company.......and NO he was not doing his job he isnt a security guard he was trying to intimidate CC.........hes lucky that it wasnt some others on here ..(I would have taken him to the next level).......but however.........if he is gonna try to degrade someone (get a ****ing life)..........he shouldnt be slinging the company name before he does it....... any company with a half wit in charge would fire him.....its business

gmb85

Reaction score
They played the clip a few times on the Michael Irvin show. Hilarious.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hostile;2497084 said:
I don't think he should be fired for that. Reprimanded, yeah.

It cracks me up how this took off.

You couldn't be more wrong. What he did was reprehensible, especially coming from an entity like ESPN. Your people define your company and your products. In light of the negativity and questions of ESPN integrity already brought to light, all he did was darken the cloud over ESPN's head.

That is a fireable offense in any public facing company. But as noted before, ESPN probably won't do it because they've already shown time and time again that they no scruples.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Now that was funny.

Dear ESPN:

Time to rotate Ed to say the Kansas City Chiefs. That is the perfect franchise and place where his jourlanistic abilities would be a perfect fit.
Nice Christmas present for Ed. And a promotion to the Chiefs ESPN bureau chief.

Cowboy fans......

Don Corleone

Reaction score
:lmao2: This is the first time I've watched this, though I've heard about it over the past day or so.

Priceless! This is very bad PR for ESPN, and no wonder the other news outlets are making a story out of it.

I would too if I were in competition with ESPN, or just didn't like them.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
nyc;2499036 said:
You couldn't be more wrong. What he did was reprehensible, especially coming from an entity like ESPN. Your people define your company and your products. In light of the negativity and questions of ESPN integrity already brought to light, all he did was darken the cloud over ESPN's head.

That is a fireable offense in any public facing company. But as noted before, ESPN probably won't do it because they've already shown time and time again that they no scruples.
Let me put it this way. If I owned a business and for some reason someone was outside heckling and one of my employees went to defend the business I would not fire him for it. If he handled it this way I would jump his trash. But I wouldn't fire him.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Hostile;2499111 said:
Let me put it this way. If I owned a business and for some reason someone was outside heckling and one of my employees went to defend the business I would not fire him for it. If he handled it this way I would jump his trash. But I wouldn't fire him.

I would normally agree with you, but if it was posted on Youtube for all to see, and news outlets everywhere were making a big deal out of it, you may have no choice but to fire the guy. Especially if you operate a business as large as ESPN.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2499205 said:
I would normally agree with you, but if it was posted on Youtube for all to see, and news outlets everywhere were making a big deal out of it, you may have no choice but to fire the guy. Especially if you operate a business as large as ESPN.
No, I wouldn't. This guy is a behind the scenes entity. He has no face time other than this episode. It will blow over. If someone who is a face time employee did it, people who are a face for the network, that might be a different story.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hostile;2499111 said:

Maybe if you own a single convenience store, but if not if your a huge public facing company. CBS didn't Fire Imus for what he said, he fired him because of the public blacklash. CBS is a large public facing company and their image is extremely important. ESPN is in the same boat. Mark my words, if this hits the television news, this guy is toast.

...you wont see it on ESPN! :laugh2:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LAST WORD ON COWBOY CHRIS AND “SEAN” THE PRODUCER

Posted by Mike Florio on December 16, 2008, 11:08 a.m.

We need to add a brief post-script to Monday’s items regarding the adventures of Cowboy Chris, a Dallas fan who opted to heckle ESPN’s Ed Werder while Werder and his crew were trying to file a report last week from Valley Ranch.

If you haven’t seen it yet, you need to. It’s right here.

For those of you with any interest in the fate of “Sean,” the ESPN producer who confronted Cowboy Chris in profane and condescending fashion, we’re told that “Sean” has received a “written warning” from ESPN.

Per a source, the written warning was delivered personally by ESPN senior V.P. and director of news Vince Doria.

Frankly, we think that “Sean” got off lucky. Like a former ESPN NFL analyst of the same first name, “Sean” possibly could have been required to adjust his “I work at ESPN” pick-up line with the insertion of the phrase, “used to.”