News: PFT: Report: Cowboys getting calls about Darren McFadden

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
As I get a kick out of the armchair medical analyses that try to turn every injury into a career ender.
Never said that, but you might want to think about that kind of physical issue when paying a redundant spare part.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Never said that, but you might want to think about that kind of physical issue when paying a redundant spare part.

I didn't say you in particular. Just that it amuses me in the same way that you get amused when injuries get minimized.

A bit of a difference here is that the comments are coming directly from the injured party....it's not from the Cowboys brain trust.

I wonder if McFadden would consider filing a grievance for the team putting him on the NFI list...he didn't seem very happy about it at all. If he truly feels he was ready for a full return to the active roster AND the Cowboys aren't paying him I would think it would be something he would consider.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

We don't know if they are paying him. Since it is NFI, the team does NOT have to pay him. He may be losing out on salary and roster bonuses.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I didn't say you in particular. Just that it amuses me in the same way that you get amused when injuries get minimized.

A bit of a difference here is that the comments are coming directly from the injured party....it's not from the Cowboys brain trust.

I wonder if McFadden would consider filing a grievance for the team putting him on the NFI list...he didn't seem very happy about it at all. If he truly feels he was ready for a full return to the active roster AND the Cowboys aren't paying him I would think it would be something he would consider.
You are right, they haven't said if they want to try and withhold his pay......it is harder to do than most people think.....Plaxico was able to get his money back after filing a grievance when eh shot himself......the ruling was he didn't intentionally go out and carry the gun knowing it injure him or something like that

I would say they are paying him otherwise he would almost certainly fight it.... they also promised him 300k for getting 1000 yards last year and Jerry seems to really like him personally

They have said they intend to pay Jaylon Smith while on the NFI

Alexander

Reaction score
We don't know if they are paying him. Since it is NFI, the team does NOT have to pay him. He may be losing out on salary and roster bonuses.
I doubt it. Jerry Jones pays everyone. Even those who physically threaten him like Ratliff.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
You are right, they haven't said if they want to try and withhold his pay......it is harder to do than most people think.....Plaxico was able to get his money back after filing a grievance when eh shot himself......the ruling was he didn't intentionally go out and carry the gun knowing it injure him or something like that

I would say they are paying him otherwise he would almost certainly fight it.... they also promised him 300k for getting 1000 yards last year and Jerry seems to really like him personally

They have said they intend to pay Jaylon Smith while on the NFI

That is interesting.

Wouldn't think it would matter the intent. Any other job, if you get hurt outside of the job, they aren't going to pay you while you are out.

I do agree that if they weren't paying him he would likely be much more intent on fighting it.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Yes, but for him to say that does not speak well. Just seemed like an odd thing to say, almost as if it is a concern for him.

McFadden typically carries the football with his left arm. This lack of flexibility could be an issue extending the right arm, for balance and say throwing a stiff arm for example.
Sounds like he's angling for a release to maximise his opportunity.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know the specifics in regard to McFadden, but you can be talking about a few degrees....that really wouldn't change anything. THe only time it could play a factor would be extending for a catch....you might be short an inch or two at full extension at most. It might be something that would affect him on about 1 or 2% of the passes he has to catch in a season. Stick your arm straight out....that is 180 degrees. Move it up 10 degrees....it really isn't that much difference from full extension.
This is completely on point. Totally spot on.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That is interesting.

Wouldn't think it would matter the intent. Any other job, if you get hurt outside of the job, they aren't going to pay you while you are out.

I do agree that if they weren't paying him he would likely be much more intent on fighting it.
NYG was able to suspend him without pay for 4 games but they had to pay him the 1m due of his deferred signing bonus and another roster bonus.....the arbitrator ruled that anything that was earned before the action had to be paid

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
NYG was able to suspend him without pay for 4 games but they had to pay him the 1m due of his deferred signing bonus and another roster bonus.....the arbitrator ruled that anything that was earned before the action had to be paid

But isn't suspending him different than putting him on the NFI list? Or is the NFI list something relatively new? The money he wouldn't be paid by the Cowboys would be game salary and roster bonuses.

Alexander

Reaction score
But isn't suspending him different than putting him on the NFI list? Or is the NFI list something relatively new? The money he wouldn't be paid by the Cowboys would be game salary and roster bonuses.
It is basically a way of designation that spells out that the injury did not happen as the result of a football activity, at least with the current team (college injuries like Jaylon Smith). The same as what would happen if a player hurt himself riding a go cart for example. They can fight it, but since slipping on a pool deck to catch your cell phone might be hard to prove as a dangerous activity, they will probably end up paying him.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It is different and that was the old CBA.......just saying the NFLPA will fight tooth and nail for every dollar......they even fought for Aaron Hernandez' signing bonuses

That roster bonus of 300k is the one owed for last year and that would be protected by this type of ruling but he is also due 30k a game in bonuses that he will likely lose