News: PFT: Report: Jason Garrett has been campaigning to remain the Cowboys coach

romonumberone

Reaction score
One thing about Garrett. He is a great talker. Very good salesman. I bet what is happening is they are interviewing Garrett and other candidates and still are thinking about everything. Including the idea of bringing Garrett back. Otherwise why string Garrett along?

mrmojo

Reaction score
There gonna have a hard time dragging him from his office, maybe Jerry should just put him in the basement...

Hayseed

Reaction score
There gonna have a hard time dragging him from his office, maybe Jerry should just put him in the basement...
No problem,....we'll just have Underwood and Spellman slap him in a straight jacket and drag his carcass out the front door. Actually....skip the door, just throw his arss out the nearest window through the glass and all. AND STAY OUT!:D

Reaction score
Forgive me, I haven't read all the posts in this thread so there is a good chance someone has already addressed this:

What is going through Garrett's mind that he would "campaign" for his job? Personally, if my former employer advised me that I was no longer required (or, was fired, or any other words you may use), the last thing I would do is negotiate to retain my job. Now, I may negotiate quite vigorously for a severance package, but not for my job.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't won't to work where I am not wanted.

It seems somewhat demeaning to me to "campaign" for one's job after being let go.

What am I missing?
What you are missing is that Garrett has no dignity

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this is true and he gets his job back, he will be the most hated person not just in Dallas but most of the country.

And be without a shred of dignity or respect inside the building. Anyone who thought this season was bad? You ain't seen nothing yet.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing about Garrett. He is a great talker. Very good salesman. I bet what is happening is they are interviewing Garrett and other candidates and still are thinking about everything. Including the idea of bringing Garrett back. Otherwise why string Garrett along?

They couldn't possibly sell him coming back at this point. Not to anybody. Assistant coaches know what's up, players know what's up, the fans know what's up.

There's no going back.

romonumberone

Reaction score
They couldn't possibly sell him coming back at this point. Not to anybody. Assistant coaches know what's up, players know what's up, the fans know what's up.

There's no going back.

I agree with you. But does Jerry? It is his team. He does not need to answer to anybody. If he feels pressured and his back is up against the wall.... it can make people sometimes dig their heels in even further.... especially people who have money. They are not used to going along with the program.

He loves Garrett. He wants Garrett. He does not want to look like he made a mistake & admit 10 years of failure. Garrett wants to stay. Garrett is trying his best to sell Jerry on the idea. I don't think it will happen.... but I also think anything is possible.

The assistants have been told to stand by until it all gets sorted out. If Garrett was definitely gone.... I think the message would be different. If Garrett was definitely gone why would Garrett be the one relaying the message?

Garrett has to have some pride. Jerry has to be giving him some encouragement. It is not false encouragement as Jerry cares too much for Garrett to do that & just pay him lip service.

Garrett is campaigning for one more run.... Jerry & Stephen are at least considering it. All options are on the table.

NewCoach

Reaction score
Jerry: Ahhhhhuhhhhhh...we interviewed several candidates, and uhhhhhh....Jason Garrett...was CLEARLY.....the best candidate. He outperformed...ALL the other candidates in the interview process, and, uhhhh....we are excited....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with you. But does Jerry? It is his team. He does not need to answer to anybody.

I disagree. He ultimately has to 'answer' to every Cowboys fan. They pay the bills and make this thing run. They pay him.

If he feels pressured and his back is up against the wall.... it can make people sometimes dig their heels in even further.... especially people who have money. They are not used to going along with the program.

He could try. And all he would accomplish is destroying any remaining credibility he still has.

He loves Garrett. He wants Garrett. He does not want to look like he made a mistake & admit 10 years of failure. Garrett wants to stay. Garrett is trying his best to sell Jerry on the idea. I don't think it will happen.... but I also think anything is possible.

The assistants have been told to stand by until it all gets sorted out. If Garrett was definitely gone.... I think the message would be different. If Garrett was definitely gone why would Garrett be the one relaying the message?

Garrett has to have some pride. Jerry has to be giving him some encouragement. It is not false encouragement as Jerry cares too much for Garrett to do that & just pay him lip service.

Garrett is campaigning for one more run.... Jerry & Stephen are at least considering it. All options are on the table.

Then we're screwed. No team has ever or could ever conduct a series of interviews and ultimately keep the former coach. Know what? Because it's a ridiculous embarrassment, and confirmation of dysfunction and failure from those running that team.

Few respected Garrett going into this year, after the Cowboys unofficially tried to hire a replacement, but instead allowed him to come back. If they tried to do it officially? Everyone would check out. Especially those bill-paying fans. Starting with this one. If Garrett comes back as head coach, I won't.

Big_D

Reaction score

There's no going back.

Would anyone still buy it?? Seriously? Is Jerry still capable of that? Can’t say he isn’t!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teams can call Jerry and ask permission to setup an interview however. I don’t see Jerry saying no if Garrett is indeed on his way out.
Thats common with assistant coaches, but not head coaches. Still, the question was about Garrett actually having offers, not whether the team could grant permission for him to interview.