News: PFT: RG3 tries to bait defensive players into personal fouls

DallasCowboysRule!

Reaction score
In my opinion the flag should never be thrown unless the runner is clearly out of bounds when the hit is made. A guy in the process of going out deserves no protection because the ball is still live and can be cut upfield like Griffen said. I'd like to see a rule where a runner would have to be 2-3 steps out before a flag could be thrown, at the very least something to make it less subjective.

Nav22

Reaction score
This isn't news. He flat-out FLOPPED on the 2nd personal foul from Church.

Illini88228

Reaction score
I assumed it was obvious to everyone that he was doing this. The NFL incentivizes this behavior by calling late hits differently with running quarterbacks.

rkell87

Reaction score
Not out of bounds.
10331008974_516f650d22_b.jpg

Punch to the face.
10331046036_e75cf4290a.jpg

Harris out of bounds. Guy on left hit him and carried him out of bounds, guy on right hit him out of bounds.
10331307325_4f6d466e40_b.jpg

somebody posted goodell's email a while back, we should all email him this, ban together as a forum and get stuff done

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
Yet, Harris got drilled into the cheerleaders when he was out of bounds, and no call. Same for Beasley.

agreed. i remember thinking the same thing when it happened. kinda off topic a bit but im surprised they called the hit on romo. i am not one to believe that there is a vendetta against the boys but it is frustrating to watch romo take hits and get no calls... then when you flip to a different game where if anyone breaths on peyton and brady (to some extent) a million flags get thrown

khiladi

Reaction score
So in the photo above, the defender is not allowed to hit him at that point but Griffin could still lateral back to a teammate who could then run for a TD. That cannot be allowed to continue.

Well, in RG3 case he'll probably lateral it straight to the opposing team missing his teammate by a large margin..

Frozen700

Reaction score
There is one way to stop him from doing it.

Hit him, regardless, and hit him hard. I mean dive full speed with all your strength at his knees....the first hit will learn him, if not break him, and take him out for the season/his whole career.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
So in the photo above, the defender is not allowed to hit him at that point but Griffin could still lateral back to a teammate who could then run for a TD. That cannot be allowed to continue.

How about a scenario where the ball came out and stayed in bounds recovered by a Cowboy but the ref still judges RG3 out of bounds and throws the flag for the late hit. The Cowboys challenge that he was in bounds and recovered by Cowboys. So ref overturns the call, gives the Cowboys the ball but still tacks on the 15 yd penalty since it's a judgement call and that part can't be overturned according to rules. How stupid would that be?

Cowboys22

Reaction score
How about a scenario where the ball came out and stayed in bounds recovered by a Cowboy but the ref still judges RG3 out of bounds and throws the flag for the late hit. The Cowboys challenge that he was in bounds and recovered by Cowboys. So ref overturns the call, gives the Cowboys the ball but still tacks on the 15 yd penalty since it's a judgement call and that part can't be overturned according to rules. How stupid would that be?

You can come up with 100 of these. Suppose he was still behind the line of scrimmage. Church can't hit him but he can still throw a 50 yard TD. The bottom line is that he wasn't out of bounds when contact was made and there should be no penalty in that circumstance. The problem to me appears to be that any time a defender dives for a player who is close to the line, they both end up on the ground way out of bounds and it just looks like it must have been late even if the contact occurred in bounds. I think they should make this type of play reviewable and if first contact was made before the player is actually out of bounds, no penalty.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
You can come up with 100 of these. Suppose he was still behind the line of scrimmage. Church can't hit him but he can still throw a 50 yard TD. The bottom line is that he wasn't out of bounds when contact was made and there should be no penalty in that circumstance. The problem to me appears to be that any time a defender dives for a player who is close to the line, they both end up on the ground way out of bounds and it just looks like it must have been late even if the contact occurred in bounds. I think they should make this type of play reviewable and if first contact was made before the player is actually out of bounds, no penalty.

But according to Al Michaels during the game ( I know he's just an idiot mouthpiece) anything close to the sideline is going to be called to protect "QBs".

jrumann59

Reaction score
Thats it we need forcefields on the sideline with a chip in the ball that will let any ball or ball carrier through.:confused:

jrumann59

Reaction score
But according to Al Michaels during the game ( I know he's just an idiot mouthpiece) anything close to the sideline is going to be called to protect "QBs".

Yep QBs are given extra protection along the sideline. At least by what Collinsworth and Michaels stated.

dart

Reaction score
hes done in three years if hes lucky - already showing wear an tear - can't throw a ball even close to WR
Shanny looked like lost little puppy out there

jrumann59

Reaction score
hes done in three years if hes lucky - already showing wear an tear - can't throw a ball even close to WR
Shanny looked like lost little puppy out there

You mean a "rat" terrier. :D

Questfor6

Reaction score
This needs to be a reviewable penalty IMO because it's so stinking ticky tac that the QB's might as well being wearing flags.