News: PFT: RG3 tries to bait defensive players into personal fouls

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
When Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III steps out of bounds at the end of a run, he tries to time it so that he’ll get hit a split second too late, incurring a 15-yard penalty on the defense.

That’s the word from John Keim of ESPN.com, who quotes Griffin as saying there are times he tries to draw a penalty on players as he runs to the sideline.

So far, the tactic apparently hasn’t worked. The Cowboys got two personal fouls for hits on Griffin on Sunday, but Griffin said that wasn’t his intention on either of those two plays.

“There will be situations, and that’s why guys don’t want to pull up,” Griffin said. “It’s happened in the past with Michael Vick or someone like that who has run to the sidelines, stopped and then gotten 20 more yards because the guy runs out of bounds trying not to hit the quarterback.”

More: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...o-bait-defensive-players-into-personal-fouls/

If he's going to do that little high-step move right before stepping out of bounds, then yeah, he's baiting them to draw a penalty.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Clay Mathews showed what happened when you try this schtick. Someone is going to stick you and happily accept the fine.

T-RO

Reaction score
Teams or players will figure out this and hit him harder next time and accept the 15 yard penalties.
It oould be 1 player per team getting the penalty or fine, but RG3 would be getting all those hits and would stop this nonsense very soon

That's what I'd do. Knock the puddy out of him anywhere near the sideline...give him the 15 but make him pay with his body. He won't last.

T-RO

Reaction score
This kid is plain dumb. If he does it fine, keep your mouth shut. Do not announce it for all of the NFL, NFL front office and Refs to here. RG3 if you get pancaked in the future and the refs call the foul or not but you end up hurt or concussed its on you.

Yup. What does he gain declaring that?

Red Dragon

Reaction score
It hardly sounds like a wise strategy for RG3 to bait defenders into hitting him late out of bounds, in light of his knee injury.

strasscat

Reaction score
I believe it was NOLA Def. coordinator Gregg Williams that said :
''Kill the Head and the Body will Die"
That's over now

"Kill the Knees and the body will Die" is the new way to go.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Yup. What does he gain declaring that?

Hoping some will take offense and hit him anyway and get a penalty or put the seed in the back of there mind he is going to go out, let up and watch him run up the sideline. If I was a DC and I saw Washington on the schedule I would tell every guy that has him lined up for a hit on the sideline and its in the grey area, full speed ahead and deal with the penalty if it comes.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Thankfully, he admitted doing it and now the referees know they have been used like a tool and feel like useful idiots. Good luck getting any close calls now.

I believe there needs to be a rule change. Late hits out of bounds should be reviewable by instant replay. If any part of the opponent is in-bounds when the initial contact occurs should not be a foul as long as the player doesn't do something extra vicious after the initial contact way out of bounds. Thye QB should definitely be treated the same as a RB when he is running. No way any RB in the league gets those late hit calls like Griffin got last Sunday.

The QB can easily slide and get full protection these days. He doesn't need to bait players into fouls and hoodwink the refs.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
I would prefer that my quarterback wasn't taking late hits out of bounds. Odd that he would trade that for yards. Regardless Church was an idiot for getting baited. You can make sure a qb is out of bounds without hitting him.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
I would prefer that my quarterback wasn't taking late hits out of bounds. Odd that he would trade that for yards. Regardless Church was an idiot for getting baited. You can make sure a qb is out of bounds without hitting him.

Uh yeah, but where's the fun in that?

dallasdave

Reaction score
When Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III steps out of bounds at the end of a run, he tries to time it so that he’ll get hit a split second too late, incurring a 15-yard penalty on the defense.

That’s the word from John Keim of ESPN.com, who quotes Griffin as saying there are times he tries to draw a penalty on players as he runs to the sideline.

So far, the tactic apparently hasn’t worked. The Cowboys got two personal fouls for hits on Griffin on Sunday, but Griffin said that wasn’t his intention on either of those two plays.

“There will be situations, and that’s why guys don’t want to pull up,” Griffin said. “It’s happened in the past with Michael Vick or someone like that who has run to the sidelines, stopped and then gotten 20 more yards because the guy runs out of bounds trying not to hit the quarterback.”

More: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...o-bait-defensive-players-into-personal-fouls/

Next time he tries to bait, don't let RGIII off the hook.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think it is total BS on the calls for roughing he got vs Dallas. heading out of bounds and being out of bounds is not the same thing. some of these QB especially RGIII are just as like to cut it back up field. If he wants to run like a RB then the league needs to treat him as such

ftghb

Reaction score
i used to think that RG3 was smart, but this just plain stupid. Why would you publicly broadcast this? Now refs will be less inclined to give him the benefit of the call because they'll think he's 'baiting' the defender half the time.

dallasdave

Reaction score
RGIII as bait for a great white shark, now that's food for thought.