PFT: Romo's best bet is to hold out

sacase

Reaction score
Have we had contract issues in the past. I don't recall any since Emmitt's.

FCBarca

Reaction score
This was never an easy negotiation, from the start...The smart bet would've been to sign him in the offseason but in JJ's defense, it was hard to be completely sure of what he was getting...Did he deserve even Schaub money at that point?...Not even sure Schaub deserved it so hard to digest giving that amount to Tony anyway...Now, of course, it's a bargain compared to what he will command.

Franchise tag is just trouble...Not saying there's a kernal of truth to this rumour but that always remains a possibility...The problem is franchising a QB...A guy who does your most important thinking on the field shouldn't have contract issues hanging over his head...That's a risky position to be in.

If the odds are that a bye week contract will happen, then so be it...Just would hate to see this 'story' become a distraction

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
abersonc;1674786 said:
Hold on now. All they said is that if Romo gets the tag then he could leverage more money by holding out.

That statement is completely and totally correct. We may not like that but it is absolutely the truth. No one wants to play under the tag.

he wont hold out so the point is moot

and you dont know that no one wants to play under the tag...Walter Jones actually ended up ok with it...you can make a ton of money playing under the tag

David

FCBarca

Reaction score
dbair1967;1674812 said:

and you dont know that no one wants to play under the tag...Walter Jones actually ended up ok with it...you can make a ton of money playing under the tag

David

Not in this situation...No way Romo will be ok with the tag...It's a largely lousey position to be in as a player...Injury, no money...Bad season, no money...It benefits the club, always.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dbair1967;1674812 said:

David

You can make a ton of money under the tag -- however it you get hurt you are screwed.

If Romo doesn't get a deal it would be in his best interest to hold out.

firehawk350

Reaction score
dbair1967;1674812 said:

David
What evidence do you have of that?! Sure, he's saying all the right things, but that all is probably part of the bargaining strategy. If he says stuff like, "well, I'm a top player and will walk if Jerry doesn't pay me" then he's selfish and not a team player and that lowers his value.

Romo may play under the tag, he may not. But I'm sure he realizes this is a business first and a game second. If your work told you that they want you to take half what you are worth (even if you could live comfortably under it) a good portion of you would stay home as much as possible and would definitely NOT be happy that your work was shorting you. It remains true if your making 50 grand or your making $12M. Nobody wants to work for less than they are worth.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Would Larry Johnson have gotten the money he got if he had not held out?
How about Bulger?

Are they worth what they got at this point?

I call BS on the they didn't know what they were getting. The Cowboys were sitting on the Brady Quinn pick. Ultimate 'put butts in the stadium seats' pick for Jones. If he had any doubts about Romo, that would have been a done deal.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
firehawk350;1674840 said:
What evidence do you have of that?! Sure, he's saying all the right things, but that all is probably part of the bargaining strategy. .

what evidence? about 18yrs or so of Jones owning the team and having almost no problems with holdouts, save Emmitt as a rookie and again in 1993...and technically he wasnt a holdout in 1993 because he didnt have a contract

Jones pays these guys...you guys are creaming your pants over nothing

David

sago1

Reaction score
I just want to make sure not only we re-sign Romo but also Newman (BTW: Read where we starting negotiations re re-signing Newman) and any of the other players we need to keep and mayso still add 1 quality FA along with 2 first round draft picks.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
firehawk350;1674840 said:
What evidence do you have of that?!

Jerry does not screw his players money wise like your little owner does.

Romo will be a thorn in the Commanders side for the next 7 years.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
fortdick;1674789 said:
Just for ***** and giggles, how do they figure salary for a franchise tag? Isn;t it an average of the top three salaries at the position? That would make Tony a very rich man right there. Why should he be upset with the designation of the "Franchise Player"? He would still be negoiating and have that as added bargaining power. A hold out wouldn;t prove a thing, or make him any money.

Not getting the big signing money is what ticks them off, a 12mill salary is peanuts compared to a 30mill SB + salary

Skin

Reaction score
dbair1967;1674864 said:
what evidence? about 18yrs or so of Jones owning the team and having almost no problems with holdouts, save Emmitt as a rookie and again in 1993...and technically he wasnt a holdout in 1993 because he didnt have a contract

Jones pays these guys...you guys are creaming your pants over nothing

David

We have a winner. This is exactly right. For everyone who is on here fretting, give me an example, in JJ's tenure as owner, that we lost (or alienated) one of our cornerstone players because of money? (And Ken Norton to the Niners doesn't count.)

I mean seriously, you guys need to worry about something else that's more likely to happen, like each of one of you being struck by lightning.

zeromaster

Reaction score
Yes, and let's look at how Mr. Johnson and Mr. Bulger are doing, and their respective teams:
  • Bulger: 2 TDs, 651 yards, 69.8 rating, nursing injuries
  • St Louis: 0-3
  • Johnson: 50/140 yards, 2.8 avg, 0 TDs
  • Kansas City: 1-2
Very compelling... :D

garyo1954

Reaction score
zeromaster;1674964 said:
Yes, and let's look at how Mr. Johnson and Mr. Bulger are doing, and their respective teams:
  • Bulger: 2 TDs, 651 yards, 69.8 rating, nursing injuries
  • St Louis: 0-3
  • Johnson: 50/140 yards, 2.8 avg, 0 TDs
  • Kansas City: 1-2
Very compelling... :D

My point exactly. The hold out helped them, but not the team. And that is exactly what I would tell Tony. Look out for yourself.

Tony should be paid. He is the guy and everybody knows that since the Cowboys didn't draft another QB, didn't dip into free agency looking for one either.

I don't want him to hold out, but I'd understand if he did. He has #1 most important job on this team. Pay him for doing that job.

QT

Reaction score
Romo loves this game too much to hold out. What an idiot...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Aikbach;1674878 said:
Hold out is often just a gentler word for extortion.

If you do not have a contract then you aren't holding out.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
QuanTran;1674998 said:
Romo loves this game too much to hold out. What an idiot...

Then Romo is the idiot.

Let's see, play for the franchise tag and potentially lose 20 mill in guaranteed money if he suffers a career ending injury vs. miss a game or two and get that guaranteed money up front.

QT

Reaction score
abersonc;1675005 said:
Then Romo is the idiot.

Let's see, play for the franchise tag and potentially lose 20 mill in guaranteed money if he suffers a career ending injury vs. miss a game or two and get that guaranteed money up front.

So you really think Romo should hold out? About to be 4 games into the season...

Not gonna happen....