PFT: Romo's best bet is to hold out

AbeBeta

Reaction score
QuanTran;1675076 said:
So you really think Romo should hold out? About to be 4 games into the season...

Not gonna happen....

So I guess Emmitt Smith didn't love the game.

After all, he held out.

superpunk

Reaction score
abersonc;1675084 said:

After all, he held out.
This post is nonsense. He didn't say anything about love of the game.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
QuanTran;1675076 said:
So you really think Romo should hold out? About to be 4 games into the season...

Not gonna happen....
Romo's not going to hold out in the middle of the season. If he does it will be next off-season/TC after the franchise tag is placed on him. but the thing that has to happen first is the franchise tag must be placed on him... i.e. no extension is worked out before FA starts.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
superpunk;1675089 said:
This post is nonsense. He didn't say anything about love of the game.

Your reading comprehension is what is idiotic.

QuanTran;1674998 said:
Romo loves this game too much to hold out. What an idiot...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
peplaw06;1675091 said:
Romo's not going to hold out in the middle of the season. If he does it will be next off-season/TC after the franchise tag is placed on him. but the thing that has to happen first is the franchise tag must be placed on him... i.e. no extension is worked out before FA starts.

Duh.

Has anyone in this league ever packed up and held out mid-season?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
abersonc;1675094 said:
Duh.

Has anyone in this league ever packed up and held out mid-season?

Wow... is it that time of the month for ya ab? I wasn't even responding to you.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Here is the series of posts. I know exactly what I was responding to -- but hey, thanks for telling me what I was or wasn't talking about.

QuanTran;1674998 said:
Romo loves this game too much to hold out. What an idiot...

QuanTran;1675076 said:

Not gonna happen....

abersonc;1675084 said:

After all, he held out.

superpunk;1675103 said:
That is not what you responded to. Nice try.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagh, Tony Romo is going turn down a $10-$12 Million guaranteed contract to sit home. If Tony plays the season out and gets r done. JJ will pay him, he is not adverse to paying players. He wasn't sure what he had going into season and if this continues, he lost a lot of money.

Romo's value is going up almost weekly.

fortdick

Reaction score
Tony doesn;t strike me as the mercenary type. Jerruh will give him lots of bucks. IF it is 30 guaranteed and 6 years at XX million per year, he won't hold out for 40 million guaranteed. He just doesn;t strike me as the kinda dude that is doing this for the money.

He will be rich enough and is having way too much fun. 'Sides, the endorsement money will be his real ticket. Dallas affords him the opportunity to make the big bucks. The QB in a lessor market won;t make as much on endorsements.

IndianaCowboyFan

The Bullet
Reaction score
fortdick;1675328 said:
He will be rich enough and is having way too much fun. 'Sides, the endorsement money will be his real ticket. Dallas affords him the opportunity to make the big bucks. The QB in a lessor market won;t make as much on endorsements.

There is a lot of merit to this. His endorsements will make big money. I am sure Pepsi has paid him well so far.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Some players think the Money defines their status. Brady took a below market contract to help the team Cap wise. Romo is going to take a $25M signing bonus and $80M overall and say awe shucks and smile.

Local story broke recently on conversation between Jonathan Pappelbaum and GM Epstein. Epstein was trying to talk him into starting this year when Pap told team he wanted to stay closer. Epstein said starters get paid more than relievers.

Pap replied, what is the difference between $80M and $100M?

I think Romo gets his long term value being QB of the Dallas Cowboys. His star appeal is brightest here.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
abersonc;1675002 said:
If you do not have a contract then you aren't holding out.

abersonc;1675084 said:

After all, he held out.

Emmitt didn't have a contract

garyo1954

Reaction score
Nors;1675243 said:
Yeagh, Tony Romo is going turn down a $10-$12 Million guaranteed contract to sit home. If Tony plays the season out and gets r done. JJ will pay him, he is not adverse to paying players. He wasn't sure what he had going into season and if this continues, he lost a lot of money.

Romo's value is going up almost weekly.

No Nors, Jerry knew what he had. If passed on drafting Brady Quinn quick.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Anyone that thinks Romo will hold out is a moron. He won't hold out cuz he'll have a contract LONG before the free agency period starts.

And why you people pay ANY mind to ANYthing PFT writes is beyond me.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Jerry took care of Owens. He will no doubt take care of Romo.

Jerry knows that.
Romo knows that.

This is never... will never be an issue.

Reaction score
Jerry Jones doesn't believe in slapping the tag on players really, he comes up with creative contracts and locks his players up... Tony Romo will get his money at the end of the season more than likely!!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Rack;1675597 said:
Anyone that thinks Romo will hold out is a moron. He won't hold out cuz he'll have a contract LONG before the free agency period starts.

And why you people pay ANY mind to ANYthing PFT writes is beyond me.

:hammer:

David

sk0aL

Reaction score
Tony Romo won't hold out, because Jerry is going to pay him. Jerry may be a polarizing figure, but he is definitely not an idiot. He wants another Lombardi so much it hurts and he knows Romo is his ticket to that. Like any smart businessman, he's simply biding his time and making sure he has the real deal in Romo before making an investment. Trust me, Romo is going to be a very rich man before the season is even over.

And as another poster said, Romo doesn't strike me as the type of selfish guy that would hold out. He knows where he came from. He knows he's an undrafted free agent that is playing out of his head and making jaws drop all around the league, and if you would have told him 4 years ago that he would one day be the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys and would get offered a contract in the neighborhood of 20-25 million, he would fall over.