News: PFT: Saints unhappy with missed helmet-to-helmet hit on Alvin Kamara

kskboys

Reaction score
The NFL has allowed officiating to become the focal point of too many games. Of course we will all complain about poor calls that hurt our team. We're fans. We're hardly expected to be objective. And yes, there were poor calls against both teams. The major issue is the officiating is poor.

But arguments get lost in the woods, and we miss the bigger issue. Was Gregory offside? I didn't think so. But if he was offside, it was very close. And defensive linemen are on that margin many times during a game. It usually isn't called. Suddenly it is called. That is an issue. Either call it every time for a week or two and force them back, or don't call it. Officials have a difficult job, but that isn't difficult; the play isn't in motion. Selective calls infuriate fans and taint outcomes.

I didn't think the last interference call was marginal, and I don't buy the argument the ball was un-catchable. It was on his hand. The defender grabs his left arm and he is unable to bring it up. How can that not be interference?

The helmet-to-helmet on Jaylon Smith was obvious. How is that not called? Yes the rules put the defensive players in tough positions, but the rules are clear.

The facemask against Prescott was obvious. I don't buy the argument it was in the middle of a pile. First it really wasn't or there wouldn't have been such clear camera shots. Second the referee is tasked with watching the QB. It is his primary job on a pass play. Prescott's helmet was jerked halfway around. hard to see how that's missed.

The Beasley play was an obvious missed call. Payton has to share some responsibility for that one. You have challenges for these circumstances, and he was pretty frivolous with his challenges. But it was a poor job by the official. He missed the knee hitting the ground.

There were poor calls against both teams. I really thought Dallas took the brunt of it, but I'm a fan. But I don't grasp the controversy over the last PI. That's about as classic a PI as you'll get, absent the receiver being tackled.
Payton was out of challenges.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Bullcrap go watch the replay it's clear as day he's holding Coopers arm on that play. LOL are you kidding man? You either didn't watch the play or you need glasses of some kind.

Ah yeah, that's exactly what I said. I think you responded to the wrong post.

ksadler1

Reaction score
Why don't we talk about the 15 yard facemask we got penalized against Brees too. The new rule says it's only a personal foul if you grasp and pull the facemask, like they did on the non-call where they almost ripped Daks head off. I believe the 5 yard facemask no longer exists. Brees' facemask should have been a non-call...

JustChip

Reaction score
I’m not disputing the call as much as I am the timing of it. Pretty tough call to make to end the game

The only thing is that if it's called in the 1st quarter, it should be called with 2 minutes left in the game. It's way more frustrating to see inconsistency with calls. You're going to have inconsistency with judgement calls, but it shouldn't be based on when a play is in the game.

tm1119

Reaction score
By league rules, it should have been a penalty.

But what I don't understand is how a player diving through the air with momemtum is somehow expected to change the motion of their helmet so it doesn't come into contact with another players helmet. I mean Smith obviously didn't intend to hit helmet to helmet, no player would do that because it could cause injury to both players. But when Kamara ducked at the last second, helmet to helmet contact was initiated at that point. How can something like that be prevented?

If you aren’t diving through the air using the crown of the helmet as a weapon it’s pretty easily avoidable.

I’m not making a big deal because Jaylon certainly isn’t the only 1 that still does it and I don’t think he was trying to hurt anyone, but to act like it wasn’t a dangerous heat of the moment play is pretty naive imo. Just thankful it wasn’t called and hopefully Jaylon can clean
up his tackling technique going forward. That was the type of hit the nfl should absolutely be trying to get out of the game

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They missed the blatant facemask on Dak too. Calls are missed/made every game. Some impact more than others...like a judgement call offsides on a play that results in a strip sack or #Dezcaughtit. Shut up, sit down, and take your medicine.

The refs were equally crappy for both teams.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Dallas got some home cooking for once. Deal with it saints lol. Not like youre not in the playoffs

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Judging by the way he got up, I'm not entirely convinced that Alvin doesn't have a concussion. He didn't even go into the tent.

ksadler1

Reaction score
Lets all be honest here. The Saints had more than enough opportunities to win this game and we had more than enough opportunities to blow them out. We should have been AT LEAST two scores ahead before that hit. The Saints are pissed because the score was close when it occurred, but the game wasn't as close as the score. We dominated them and it hurt their feelings. I'm not a big stats guy, but stats don't lie on this game. They got their butts kicked and can't handle being on the other end. Too bad...

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
That’s the impression I had because the calls that went in our favor were at more critical times in the game IMO.

Like I said earlier , in that situation to end the game that call could have been let go. I didn’t think it was that blatant.
That call was right after the missed facemask in Dak. Which, again, would’ve given nearly the same result as the PI.

Gregory in the neutral zone was also at the end of the game as if the time really matters. It’s more about the result as in whether the call resulted in a turnover or points.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Payton was out of challenges.

Head coaches have to be careful when they think about challenging too early. Unless it's a truly game changing or potential game turning play that happens early. (A TD or a catch that gains a huge chunk of yards but is in questionable enough to be challenged). Then coaches shouldn't waste their challenges in the first half and think about how there could be game changing plays in the 2nd half that might need to get overturned. That was on Payton for wasting challenges

bark

Reaction score
Dallas got some home cooking for once. Deal with it saints lol. Not like youre not in the playoffs
I don’t even think it was home cooking. That crew just turned in a really bad night on the job. Missed calls everywhere

JustChip

Reaction score
Head coaches have to be careful when they think about challenging too early. Unless it's a truly game changing or potential game turning play that happens early. (A TD or a catch that gains a huge chunk of yards but is in questionable enough to be challenged). Then coaches shouldn't waste their challenges in the first half and think about how there could be game changing plays in the 2nd half that might need to get overturned. That was on Payton for wasting challenges
:hammer:

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Judging by the way he got up, I'm not entirely convinced that Alvin doesn't have a concussion. He didn't even go into the tent.
Kamara was definitely concussed. Foul or not that play was huge. Jaylon essentially knocked his *** out of the game. I think it helped lead to the INT at the end Kamara didn't know what he was doing. He got beat like a ***** and now he is crying about it.

Lutonio

Reaction score
Payton's second challenge was terrible. I would not have wasted it on a play where winning meant I advance 15 yards and losing meant that I only lose a down while retaining possession.