News: PFT: Saints unhappy with missed helmet-to-helmet hit on Alvin Kamara

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Saints unhappy with missed helmet-to-helmet hit on Alvin Kamara

pft254-e1543559136564.jpg

Saints running back Alvin Kamara took a vicious hit from Jaylon Smith in the fourth quarter. Slow-mo replays showed the Cowboys linebacker leading with the crown of his helmet. Officials did not pe...

Read Full Story

Tough luck. I'm unhappy they missed the face mask on Dak in the 4th quarter. Stuff happens.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
By league rules, it should have been a penalty.

But what I don't understand is how a player diving through the air with momemtum is somehow expected to change the motion of their helmet so it doesn't come into contact with another players helmet. I mean Smith obviously didn't intend to hit helmet to helmet, no player would do that because it could cause injury to both players. But when Kamara ducked at the last second, helmet to helmet contact was initiated at that point. How can something like that be prevented?
This is probably exactly why the flag wasn't thrown.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
The NFL has allowed officiating to become the focal point of too many games. Of course we will all complain about poor calls that hurt our team. We're fans. We're hardly expected to be objective. And yes, there were poor calls against both teams. The major issue is the officiating is poor.

But arguments get lost in the woods, and we miss the bigger issue. Was Gregory offside? I didn't think so. But if he was offside, it was very close. And defensive linemen are on that margin many times during a game. It usually isn't called. Suddenly it is called. That is an issue. Either call it every time for a week or two and force them back, or don't call it. Officials have a difficult job, but that isn't difficult; the play isn't in motion. Selective calls infuriate fans and taint outcomes.

I didn't think the last interference call was marginal, and I don't buy the argument the ball was un-catchable. It was on his hand. The defender grabs his left arm and he is unable to bring it up. How can that not be interference?

The helmet-to-helmet on Jaylon Smith was obvious. How is that not called? Yes the rules put the defensive players in tough positions, but the rules are clear.

The facemask against Prescott was obvious. I don't buy the argument it was in the middle of a pile. First it really wasn't or there wouldn't have been such clear camera shots. Second the referee is tasked with watching the QB. It is his primary job on a pass play. Prescott's helmet was jerked halfway around. hard to see how that's missed.

The Beasley play was an obvious missed call. Payton has to share some responsibility for that one. You have challenges for these circumstances, and he was pretty frivolous with his challenges. But it was a poor job by the official. He missed the knee hitting the ground.

There were poor calls against both teams. I really thought Dallas took the brunt of it, but I'm a fan. But I don't grasp the controversy over the last PI. That's about as classic a PI as you'll get, absent the receiver being tackled.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Tough luck. I'm unhappy they missed the face mask on Dak in the 4th quarter. Stuff happens.
I am pissed , still pissed that they missed the blatant push off on the TD the Saints got. I am still pissed that Dallas' D-linemen STILL get fully held and no calls. I am not talking the usual holding going on. I am talking about them being hugged and horse collared held every damn game.

So, that Saints are unhappy. Welcome to the party Saints.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By league rules, it should have been a penalty.

But what I don't understand is how a player diving through the air with momemtum is somehow expected to change the motion of their helmet so it doesn't come into contact with another players helmet. I mean Smith obviously didn't intend to hit helmet to helmet, no player would do that because it could cause injury to both players. But when Kamara ducked at the last second, helmet to helmet contact was initiated at that point. How can something like that be prevented?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
He wasn't trying to decapitate him.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
His head was not past the football.

The only argument that can be made on that play is that the center moved the ball back thus the line of scrimmage was a bit ahead of where the ball actually was and Gregory's helmet was in the neutral zone. But his head was not past the football.

I think this is exactly what happened. I recorded the game and watched later before logging on here. In real time it didn't look like a gross offsides. There is no clear shot of where the officials put the ball down before the Center touches it but if you rewind back to the previous play and see where the official spots the ball, it is clearly beyond the 50-yard line which did put Gregory in the neutral zone at the ball's snap.

bark

Reaction score
Ups just delivered kamara’s soul back to New Orleans this morning. It spent last night at AT&T

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get it about helmet to helmet injuries and CTEs. I just can't assess Jaylon's hit as intentional spearing.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I get it about helmet to helmet injuries and CTEs. I just can't assess Jaylon's hit as intentional spearing.

Does it matter if it's intentional? I'm sure Gregory didn't intend to fall on the punter's plant leg. It's a foul regardless of intent.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm sure they are upset about that and some other calls, and they have a right to be. Just as Dallas has the right to be upset about some of the calls and non-calls that went the other way.

JustChip

Reaction score
Penalties are often a judgement call. That’s how I saw it in that situation.

Which is why 2 plays exactly the same may be called differently. Nothing you can do about that. One officials sees it one way and another the other way. That's why I never want to see the "forced out" catch rule return - I prefer the black and what did he get 2 feet down or not.

Darkhound

Reaction score
yeah.. we are unhappy with that monster of a facemask that led to a Dak sack