PFT: Salary cap ceiling for 2022 set at $208.2 million

Creeper

Reaction score
Dak haters: what you got now/?

Not a Dak hater, but the 2022 CAP going up $10 million over the 2020 is not exactly a windfall. According to Sportrac, Dallas will be $18 million over the CAP going into 2022 given current contracts, including Dak's.

Creeper

Reaction score
You forgot Tank. I think this is his last season too.

I agree, but what this means is in order to afford Dak, all their other high priced players have to go. We'll have to see how that plays out.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Or they prefer to not waste their time in a battle of wits with those unarmed.

Fully armed and ready to do battle as always. Wins, QB stats, offensive stats, last drive wins, playoffs, honors, ect......ect..... Whatever you want, we got it!!!

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I agree, but what this means is in order to afford Dak, all their other high priced players have to go. We'll have to see how that plays out.
They don't have to get rid of anybody. Let's assume a $205m cap next year and they're currently at $235m committed...that's $20m over.

Restructure Dak - $15m
Restructure Amari - $13m

There's more than your shortfall and they haven't even cut anyone lol. It's not like they have any significant FAs pending, except Gallup and maybe Gregory but they're probably letting Gallup walk, and they have a bunch of other easy restructures to accommodate Gregory should he go off.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak haters: what you got now/?
I am not a hater but it is not his contract that is the issue with the cap now, there are other contracts that are underperforming.

40M is going to be the going rate soon and he won't be in the top 5 paid.

Cap goes up and the QB's keep eating more than their fair share, imo. This will not change soon either. They all have an extra 26M to spend, how much of that do you think is going to the QB?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Not a Dak hater, but the 2022 CAP going up $10 million over the 2020 is not exactly a windfall. According to Sportrac, Dallas will be $18 million over the CAP going into 2022 given current contracts, including Dak's.
182.5 to 208.2 is it's going up 27.5 mil

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I am not a hater but it is not his contract that is the issue with the cap now, there are other contracts that are underperforming.

40M is going to be the going rate soon and he won't be in the top 5 paid.

Cap goes up and the QB's keep eating more than their fair share, imo. This will not change soon either. They all have an extra 26M to spend, how much of that do you think is going to the QB?
I agree, but the haters keep saying his contract is crippling the team which has been false from the beginning. His cap hit this year is around 21 mil which is great for that position. We all know that the cap was going to not only go up because Covid is over but also with the huge TV contracts just signed.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
this is not a surprise, given they have several large contracts that they can redo and easily open up 15-20 of cap space, including Cooper, Dak, Zeke, Lawrence and getting rid of Jaylon.

ESisback

Reaction score
it won't change anything. Only a matter of time before someone says something like

"it doesn't matter what the salary cap is, anything over 10 mil a year for Dak is still taking up to much money that we could use to extend Damontae Kazee after his upcoming all-pro year"
Yep! Doesn’t matters what happens—complainers will ALWAYS proliferate here.

Flamma

Reaction score

Actually, it's more like in order to afford Tank, not Dak. Dallas won't have to worry about Dak's cap hit for another two years. Then go from there. Is Tank worth the 27 million cap hit in 2022? I'd rather keep Gregory and Gallup over Tank.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Read his post again. The 2020 salary cap was 198 million. You are comparing the 2021 cap to 2022.
So? The salary cap this year is 182.5 and going up 27.5 mill next year. The point is that Dak’s contract was based on the team knowing that the salary cap was going to sky rocket so it wouldn’t hamstring the team. Which is what you haters have been saying ever since he signed. You included.

Creeper

Reaction score
182.5 to 208.2 is it's going up 27.5 mil

I know, but I was comparing the last "normal" cap number to the 2022 ceiling. The 2021 CAP is an aberration due to COVID. I am not hating on Dak but let's not pretend there are no consequences to paying him $40 million a year. In 2022, when the CAP "explodes" to $208.2 million the Cowboys enter the season $19 million OVER the CAP.

I understand. The Cowboys can dump contracts like Jaylon Smith and Demarcus Lawrence. They can dump Tyron Smith and Amari Cooper too. And the probably will get rid of several of these guys. Designating Lawrence a June 1 cut saves $19 million in 2022. Since they have to be under the CAP before the new season begins, Lawrence would have to be designated a June 1 cut. If they cut him or trade him before the season begins the CAP save is only $8 million. Cutting Smith after June 1 saves another $6 million. Those are your 2 June designated cuts. Those cuts save $25 million putting the Cowboys $6 million under the CAP. That's still not enough for a rookie pool.

They can't get rid of Elliott for a CAP save unless they trade him because his 2022 salary is already guaranteed. Trading him saves $5.7 million, but who would pay him $12.4 million in 2022? They can cut Tyron and save $5.4 million or he could just retire. Of course trading or cutting Amari Cooper solves the problem completely. Cutting or trading him saves between $16 and $20 million in 2022. Alternatively they could extend his contract and restructure it reducing his 2022 CAP impact but Cooper will be 30 when his contract expires. Extending him to reduce his CAP impact in 2022 just means they will be paying him when he is 32 or older.

So while the problem is not insurmountable, let's not make it seem like the Cowboys CAP is smooth sailing with Dak's $40 million contract. There is a consequence to paying one player - any player - that much money. When Gallup and others leave for free agency, we will see the consequences of it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It is the leagues money from all revenue brought in shared by 32 teams and in agreement with NFLPA in terms of players portion. The league is borrowing from itself off those revenue it is not anything they pay back, after all it is their money to begin with.
Well your not getting it lol.
I could be wrong, but the owners made a deal to take money from future caps, to pay themselves the amount they would have made from
home games last year.
So the cap is still going up, but then the owners get most of the raise, so it is staying down.
it will stay down till they get all the money they were promised in the deal. After that it will go up.
And it is not a sure thing there will be no restrictions on how full stadiums will be in future.

But basically the owners worked it so they could go empty stadiums , and still get the money they would have made if they were full.
That will come out of future caps.

Flamma

Reaction score
Well your not getting it lol.
I could be wrong, but the owners made a deal to take money from future caps, to pay themselves the amount they would have made from
home games last year.
So the cap is still going up, but then the owners get most of the raise, so it is staying down.
it will stay down till they get all the money they were promised in the deal. After that it will go up.
And it is not a sure thing there will be no restrictions on how full stadiums will be in future.

But basically the owners worked it so they could go empty stadiums , and still get the money they would have made if they were full.
That will come out of future caps.

Kind of. That's not quite why they're taking from the cap, but the results are the same.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I know, but I was comparing the last "normal" cap number to the 2022 ceiling. The 2021 CAP is an aberration due to COVID. I am not hating on Dak but let's not pretend there are no consequences to paying him $40 million a year. In 2022, when the CAP "explodes" to $208.2 million the Cowboys enter the season $19 million OVER the CAP.

I understand. The Cowboys can dump contracts like Jaylon Smith and Demarcus Lawrence. They can dump Tyron Smith and Amari Cooper too. And the probably will get rid of several of these guys. Designating Lawrence a June 1 cut saves $19 million in 2022. Since they have to be under the CAP before the new season begins, Lawrence would have to be designated a June 1 cut. If they cut him or trade him before the season begins the CAP save is only $8 million. Cutting Smith after June 1 saves another $6 million. Those are your 2 June designated cuts. Those cuts save $25 million putting the Cowboys $6 million under the CAP. That's still not enough for a rookie pool.

They can't get rid of Elliott for a CAP save unless they trade him because his 2022 salary is already guaranteed. Trading him saves $5.7 million, but who would pay him $12.4 million in 2022? They can cut Tyron and save $5.4 million or he could just retire. Of course trading or cutting Amari Cooper solves the problem completely. Cutting or trading him saves between $16 and $20 million in 2022. Alternatively they could extend his contract and restructure it reducing his 2022 CAP impact but Cooper will be 30 when his contract expires. Extending him to reduce his CAP impact in 2022 just means they will be paying him when he is 32 or older.

So while the problem is not insurmountable, let's not make it seem like the Cowboys CAP is smooth sailing with Dak's $40 million contract. There is a consequence to paying one player - any player - that much money. When Gallup and others leave for free agency, we will see the consequences of it.
The Dak haters have been saying since his signing that his contract was going to cripple the team which is simply not true. That’s my point.

ESisback

Reaction score
The Dak haters have been saying since his signing that his contract was going to cripple the team which is simply not true. That’s my point.

Also, in two years his monster contract will be way down the list, when several other guys get more.