PFT: Salary cap ceiling for 2022 set at $208.2 million

dckid

Reaction score
Dak haters: what you got now/?
Dak still overpaid. Functionally equivalent to Cousins, Goff, Wentz, Jimmy G, Flacco and the likes. Making these guys highest paid leads to be mediocre. Nothing to see here.
This team will be what it has been for a really long time. Stuck between 7- 9 wins. Good enough to be on First take and undisputed. Not good enough to win anything if note. Just like Jerry wants.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Dak still overpaid. Functionally equivalent to Cousins, Goff, Wentz, Jimmy G, Flacco and the likes. Making these guys highest paid leads to be mediocre. Nothing to see here.
This team will be what it has been for a really long time. Stuck between 7- 9 wins. Good enough to be on First take and undisputed. Not good enough to win anything if note. Just like Jerry wants.
Then don't watch and take your pessimistic self away from here so you don't pollute the board with all your negativity.

dckid

Reaction score
Then don't watch and take your pessimistic self away from here so you don't pollute the board with all your negativity.
How is telling the truth negative? Prove my statement wrong. Stop being a sheep. I will root all day for the team to do well but at least acknowledge what is happening.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
and 50 NFL FO personnel disagree with you, last year and this year...but hey you know more than they do...you frequent this message board and people here know best ;)

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
How is telling the truth negative? Prove my statement wrong. Stop being a sheep. I will root all day for the team to do well but at least acknowledge what is happening.
Hey if you want to be a Debbie Downer all the time go for it. Just take it somewhere else.

dckid

Reaction score
and 50 NFL FO personnel disagree with you, last year and this year...but hey you know more than they do...you frequent this message board and people here know best ;)

I would love to know where you got that statement of 50 FO personnel. I guess we will find out as the season plays out.
I don't know what all the Dak lovers expect. If you expect stats and a .500 ish record you will not be disappointed
. I am very open to eating the crow. There is nothing else I want in the sports world other than this team winning another Super Bowl. We as a fanbase and media have just accepted the drivel Jerry feeds us. Just because he has give big contracts doesnt mean he knows anything about building a contender. I will not just shut up and take it.
You all need to understand incentives and human behavior and culture. Jerry has to spend a certain amount of money, paying Dak, Zeke, Cooper, Jaylon, Zack martin, etc, etc, etc is part of owning a team. All teams spend money but not all teams know how to actually compete for a title.
Forget all your noise and being upset at me.. When was the last time your thought we had a SB contender? Be honest.

ESisback

Reaction score
There’s a difference between acknowledging what’s happening and being perpetually miserable, but hey, to each his own! Having hope isn’t “being a sheep”. This whole football thing is SUPPOSED TO BE FUN!

ESisback

Reaction score
I would love to know where you got that statement of 50 FO personnel. I guess we will find out as the season plays out.
I don't know what all the Dak lovers expect. If you expect stats and a .500 ish record you will not be disappointed
. I am very open to eating the crow. There is nothing else I want in the sports world other than this team winning another Super Bowl. We as a fanbase and media have just accepted the drivel Jerry feeds us. Just because he has give big contracts doesnt mean he knows anything about building a contender. I will not just shut up and take it.
You all need to understand incentives and human behavior and culture. Jerry has to spend a certain amount of money, paying Dak, Zeke, Cooper, Jaylon, Zack martin, etc, etc, etc is part of owning a team. All teams spend money but not all teams know how to actually compete for a title.
Forget all your noise and being upset at me.. When was the last time your thought we had a SB contender? Be honest.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
So while the problem is not insurmountable, let's not make it seem like the Cowboys CAP is smooth sailing with Dak's $40 million contract. There is a consequence to paying one player - any player - that much money. When Gallup and others leave for free agency, we will see the consequences of it.

To that tune, let's not make it seem like Dak's cap hit is some sort of aberration. He will only have the 8th biggest cap hit for QBs (thus far) in 2022. Matt Ryan, Kirk Cousins, Deshaun Watson, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Patrick Mahomes, & Ryan Tannehill are all ahead of him. Jared Goff, Jimmy Garoppolo, & Carson Wentz are less than $6M behind him.

Unless you have a QB on a rookie deal or an older vet it is inevitable that you will have a QB with a disproportionate cap hit relative to other positions.

dckid

Reaction score
Dude I am not pessimistic. I am a realist.
To me the best team we had since the last SB team was 2007. I really thought getting past the Giants would mean a SB appearance.
2009- Wild card team...
2014- Another very good team, Jason didn't trust Romo at all that season. Zero

2016 Dak was a rookie and total overachievement. Not a SB contender whatsoever in my opinion.
But the proof is in the pudding. We have not had a championship game appearance since January 1996. Let that sink in.
My biggest issue is Jerry doesn't see that as a problem. It is what it is. He is MO, his motivation is not what we fans think it is.

This year we will be ok. I don't expect a bottom 5 team. Jerry will not allow this team to bottom out. Last year was the perfect opportunity. Dak out for the year after week 4/5 whatever it was. Take your lumps get draft picks. There is no reason we could not have been the pick the Dolphins traded to the niners for a kings ransom?

dckid

Reaction score
There’s a difference between acknowledging what’s happening and being perpetually miserable, but hey, to each his own! Having hope isn’t “being a sheep”. This whole football thing is SUPPOSED TO BE FUN!
Yes I wish more would acknowledge what is happening. Jerry has gotten a free pass since he hired Parcells.
Sports reporters/ media used to actually criticize Jerry after Jimmy was fired. Basically that fire is gone because they all realize nothing will change. No one even cares to bring up he is the self proclaimed GM. All these things used to be issues. The sports landscape has changed. The Cowboys are just a name now. No serious player/ fan seriously consider them a contender. The league needs the team, the hype, drives ratings. That is all that is celebrated. Cowboys games get the best ratings, they generate the revenue. Jerry is in a position where he doesn't want to kill the golden goose. He can't rebuild because then he won't be on Sunday night an all the hype. But if he doesn't overhaul he will never win another SB.
And that is what explains a lot. Our story is we are just good enough to stay part of the conversation. I s

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
this was discussed and posted here last year on multiple occasions. I will try and find a link and post it again. ....this is rankings and ratings from FO personnel including GMs etc...how season plays out is different than rankings...but we will see.

if you are calling me a Dak lover, is it fair that I call you Dak hater? and it sounds like you are putting the entire win/loss of games on Dak and only Dak. am I disappointed in Cowboys record? yes. but its been the same for 25 years. I guess Dak was at fault when he was in the womb.....

and you just said the one issue with this team. "Jerry". he is as a GM responsible to put the "team" together. I don't know about you, but was last year's defense acceptable to you? was keeping Garrett as head coach for 10 years acceptable to you? was pushing Moore, as OC after one year of coaching experience in a critical superbowl or bust year acceptable to you?

dckid

Reaction score
this was discussed and posted here last year on multiple occasions. I will try and find a link and post it again. ....this is rankings and ratings from FO personnel including GMs etc...how season plays out is different than rankings...but we will see.

if you are calling me a Dak lover, is it fair that I call you Dak hater? and it sounds like you are putting the entire win/loss of games on Dak and only Dak. am I disappointed in Cowboys record? yes. but its been the same for 25 years. I guess Dak was at fault when he was in the womb.....

and you just said the one issue with this team. "Jerry". he is as a GM responsible to put the "team" together. I don't know about you, but was last year's defense acceptable to you? was keeping Garrett as head coach for 10 years acceptable to you? was pushing Moore, as OC after one year of coaching experience in a critical superbowl or bust year acceptable to you?

I am not a Dak hater. I was all for him taking over for Romo.
I have zero respect for Jerry, he makes me sick to my stomach. He is absolutely the reason for this franchise's demise. I think all my previous posts have shown how I feel about Jerry.
My issue is the Cowboys never make the chess move, they are always playing marbles.
In front of their eyes they say from 2012 to 2020 what overpaying a good QB does to an organization, yet they still decided to overpay Dak. All the names I mentioned have produced mediocrity. We got probably the best value at the QB position in terms of performance from 2016 to 2020 including paying Dak the Franchise tag. Take that value and accept it, trade it and move on. He will never perform to the 40 million a year contract he got. Period.. He is not elte.. And that is not insulting Dak. It's just a fact.

Look at the Niners.. they overpaid for Jimmy. They accepted and decided to move on. They have a fixed 5 year cost at QB.

Creeper

Reaction score
Someone please explain to me how paying a player more than he is worth automatically means the player stinks? A player can be a very good player and still get more money than he is worth. Demarcus Lawrence comes to mind. Of course, value is still an opinion but it is an arguable position.

And, why isn't overpaying a player viewed the same a reaching for a player in the draft? Both are assessments of value, are they not? Yet, we can debate Nahshon Wright taken in the 3rd round but not whether Dak got more money that he he should have?

I don't think Jerry is the only owner overpaying players. The history of the NFL is littered with free agents getting overpaid and never playing up to their perceived value. But making a habit of overpaying players is not good for any team. Perhaps in the case of the Cowboys it is a symptom of the problem why they have not won anything in 25 years. It's like getting drunk and waking up married to an ugly chick. She is never going to be hot but you are stuck with her. Of course divorce is an option, but anyone who has been through that knows there can be painful financial consequences.

Dak is the 2nd highest paid QB in the league. Cooper is the 4th highest paid WR. Zeke is tied for 2nd and RBs. Demarcus Lawrence is tied for 3rd among DEs. Jaylon Smith is 21st among LBs. That seems low but when you consider every team has 2 or 3 starters Smith is way overpaid for his performance. The point is, with all this top of the league players, in terms of salary, what has Jerry gotten in return?

IMO, Dak got more money than he is worth. We will find out in 2021 if I am right. I like Dak. He is a really good QB. Having a guy they can call a franchise QB is a big plus. Getting the contract done takes the uncertainty out of another season and helps get the focus on football. But overpaying all these players, including Dak, has consequences which are just beginning. People forget how the Cowboys had CAP problems after overpaying Romo. There is more than one way to build a winning football team. But the Cowboys don't see to think so. This is why they overpay their players.
\

dckid

Reaction score
Someone please explain to me how paying a player more than he is worth automatically means the player stinks? A player can be a very good player and still get more money than he is worth. Demarcus Lawrence comes to mind. Of course, value is still an opinion but it is an arguable position.

And, why isn't overpaying a player viewed the same a reaching for a player in the draft? Both are assessments of value, are they not? Yet, we can debate Nahshon Wright taken in the 3rd round but not whether Dak got more money that he he should have?

I don't think Jerry is the only owner overpaying players. The history of the NFL is littered with free agents getting overpaid and never playing up to their perceived value. But making a habit of overpaying players is not good for any team. Perhaps in the case of the Cowboys it is a symptom of the problem why they have not won anything in 25 years. It's like getting drunk and waking up married to an ugly chick. She is never going to be hot but you are stuck with her. Of course divorce is an option, but anyone who has been through that knows there can be painful financial consequences.

Dak is the 2nd highest paid QB in the league. Cooper is the 4th highest paid WR. Zeke is tied for 2nd and RBs. Demarcus Lawrence is tied for 3rd among DEs. Jaylon Smith is 21st among LBs. That seems low but when you consider every team has 2 or 3 starters Smith is way overpaid for his performance. The point is, with all this top of the league players, in terms of salary, what has Jerry gotten in return?

IMO, Dak got more money than he is worth. We will find out in 2021 if I am right. I like Dak. He is a really good QB. Having a guy they can call a franchise QB is a big plus. Getting the contract done takes the uncertainty out of another season and helps get the focus on football. But overpaying all these players, including Dak, has consequences which are just beginning. People forget how the Cowboys had CAP problems after overpaying Romo. There is more than one way to build a winning football team. But the Cowboys don't see to think so. This is why they overpay their players.
\
Watch out you will be bombarded.. LOL
I honestly don't care what players get paid. It's supply demand and somewhat of a free market. It's our ownership being fearful is what causes these panic type moves.
Being reactionary and not having a vision or a plan to build a SB contender is what has gotten this team to it's present state.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I have zero respect for Jerry, he makes me sick to my stomach. He is absolutely the reason for this franchise's demise. I think all my previous posts have shown how I feel about Jerry.
My issue is the Cowboys never make the chess move, they are always playing marbles.
In front of their eyes they say from 2012 to 2020 what overpaying a good QB does to an organization, yet they still decided to overpay Dak. All the names I mentioned have produced mediocrity. We got probably the best value at the QB position in terms of performance from 2016 to 2020 including paying Dak the Franchise tag. Take that value and accept it, trade it and move on. He will never perform to the 40 million a year contract he got. Period.. He is not elte.. And that is not insulting Dak. It's just a fact.

Look at the Niners.. they overpaid for Jimmy. They accepted and decided to move on. They have a fixed 5 year cost at QB.

Umm.. you do know that Garapolo is still their QB right? Lance is not likely to see the field this year. He is nowhere near ready. Dak will never perform to the 40 million a year contract in your eyes because there is literally nothing he can do to live up to that contract for people like you. He could win the next 4 Super Bowls and you would be here telling us that it only proves that the Cowboys had built a great team around him and could have won with a cheaper QB. It's just what you people do.. All that's left is for the rest of us to laugh at you.. or maybe feel sorry for you. And no matter how many times you post your opinion about Dak it does not make it "fact." It's your opinion.. to which you are obviously entitled.. but please stop calling it a fact.. Doing so detracts from any other salient points you might make.

dckid

Reaction score
Umm.. you do know that Garapolo is still their QB right? Lance is not likely to see the field this year. He is nowhere near ready. Dak will never perform to the 40 million a year contract in your eyes because there is literally nothing he can do to live up to that contract for people like you. He could win the next 4 Super Bowls and you would be here telling us that it only proves that the Cowboys had built a great team around him and could have won with a cheaper QB. It's just what you people do.. All that's left is for the rest of us to laugh at you.. or maybe feel sorry for you. And no matter how many times you post your opinion about Dak it does not make it "fact." It's your opinion.. to which you are obviously entitled.. but please stop calling it a fact.. Doing so detracts from any other salient points you might make.

Come on @RonnieT24 , now you are just being overly dramatic. We are in the offseason. The Niners have made a decision for the long term. Both you and I need to acknowledge this. You don't trade two number 1's plus other picks to draft a guy you don't want to make a starter.
I have already stated I am very open and hoping to eat crow on the Dak signing. I wish he wins 4 SB's, I will wear he jersey all day.
The majority of my points are on point, you honestly know it. This organization has not foresight. They make the obvious moves. They never go for it, which is why we are where we are. Records, performances, end results don't lie after 25 years.
I don't understand why when I try to be objective people get insulted?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I am 100% with you on Jerry. Main cause of our demise is his penchant to try and prove he could build a team without Johnson and he plays fantasy football.

well, it depends on perspective. are we a team on the uptick and ready to compete and need just some pieces to get us competitive? the offense is fine, we all know that, but the defense was down right awful. atrocious. historically bad. having playing some back up QBs at the end of the year was the defenses saving grace, other than that they were awful against every starting QB.

so the question is do we rebuild the defense? how quickly and how good do they need to be? KC went from 31st, to middle of the pack defense and they made a run and made it to the superbowl. so can dallas do similar (I know I know I know, there are no gauarantees), but if we can get this defense from where they were to maybe high teens, low 20s, that;s a huge leap. and then of course the key is to build on that.

I didn't so much mind paying Dak, given that's the going rate for top 10 QBs in the market. the easiest and believe it or not, the cheapest way to build a superbowl team is by having a franchise QB. otherwise it will be much more costly and much harder. that's why QBs get paid so much. I may come across these days as a Dak supporter, but that's some folks trying to make an argument for sake of argument. I am a cowboys fan and want what's best for cowboys to succeed. 2 years ago I was very critical of Dak and advocated for us not sign him to a new contract, because I wanted to see certain improvements in his game prior to committing, even if that meant paying extra. I think he is a franchise type QB, he is not mahomes. he is not rodgers. he is not brady, but not many are. if that's what we want, then good luck. they don't come by that often. It doesn't mean we can't win with Dak. he is capable of that. I was advocating for us to sign him to a contract last year, around the 34M that was being discussed and give him the 4 year deal and we could have easily extended or tagged him again at the end of the contract or have an out if after 4 years it doesn't work. Jerry tried to play hardball (idiot), where he caved in to the likes of Zeke, Jaylon, Lawrence.

now, if you are on the side that says, don't pay Dak, then that means lets rebuild the team. that would mean then to trade all valuable assets and accumulate draft picks and "tank" so you get a chance at top 3 pick. and hope a franchise type QB is there to build around. it will take time and only to be 4 years later and having to pay the QB (and we all argue again) or rebuild again (the same cycle over and over). 4 out of 5 first round QBs fail to become franchise type players, so that's a high risk approach, when you already have one.

btw, Grapolo went to the superbowl and for all intent and purposes they had a chance to win it in the 4th, only Mahomes heroics saved the day for KC.

and there is no Guarantee that Lance is going to work out. right now, all of those QBs have potential. wait a couple of years.

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
Yes I wish more would acknowledge what is happening. Jerry has gotten a free pass since he hired Parcells.
Sports reporters/ media used to actually criticize Jerry after Jimmy was fired. Basically that fire is gone because they all realize nothing will change. No one even cares to bring up he is the self proclaimed GM. All these things used to be issues. The sports landscape has changed. The Cowboys are just a name now. No serious player/ fan seriously consider them a contender. The league needs the team, the hype, drives ratings. That is all that is celebrated. Cowboys games get the best ratings, they generate the revenue. Jerry is in a position where he doesn't want to kill the golden goose. He can't rebuild because then he won't be on Sunday night an all the hype. But if he doesn't overhaul he will never win another SB.
And that is what explains a lot. Our story is we are just good enough to stay part of the conversation. I s

Jerry gets a free pass?!? Are you freakin’ kidding me? You wish more would acknowledge?!? How much hand wringing do you require? Jerry and the Cowboys are the most heavily criticized team in sports. And how exactly does building a winner “kill the golden goose”? You seem determined to cry, 24/7, 365, and those that don’t aren’t “serious fans”! Take a pill, man!

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

\
its the market rate. what Dak got paid was the going market rate for top 10 QB. you, I , this board doesn't set the market, players and owners and GMs do. with that said, this may seem like a high rate today, but 2 years from now, given bunch of new QB contracts are being/to be negotiated, will not seem as high. its the way of the NFL. Wilson had the highest contract, but 2 years later, he makes 33M...and we all argue that's what we should pay, and wait until next year when Wilson renegotiates his contract.....45-50M is not out of the question. With Alan, mayfield, Lamar Jackson contracts looming in near future.