News: PFT: Scandrick out for season with torn ACL and MCL

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think we should annoint Byron Jones just because of his draft status. I think Carr, White and Patmon are all more reliable than Jones is at the moment and i wouldn't put Jones over Claiborne (if healthy) either.

Jones is the only guy in training camp that I've seen cover Dez effectively. He is a good match-up with the big WRs or TEs that look like big WRs.

I wouldn't put Jones in the slot because that is a more complicated position mentally; however, I think Jones or White will be better on the outside than Patmon.

Claiborne is the wildcard. If he could just cover 1 WR with nothing else to think about, he could probably do that really well; however, in the past anytime he had to make a decision he usually made the wrong one. Teams would have the 2 WRs on the same size of the formation just run routes that cross each other and depending on the specific routes the CBs might or might not be required to switch off. Claiborne almost always made the wrong decision in those situations and Scandrick could always be seen later trying to explain what he should have done. There are other ways to tricks CBs but that one worked so well that teams would just do it repeatedly to Claiborne especially when they needed a 1st down or a score. Hopefully the demotion that he got right before the injury last year woke him up and made him understand that he really needs to study film and focus on what the coaches are telling him.

The upside with Claiborne is that he is more likely to get INTs than either Scandrick or Carr.

White has been very good in the preseason games. He really appears to understand the nuances of the position and he had impressive measurable(s) when drafted. If Patmon has any problems playing the slot my guess is that White would be the next option there over Jones or Claiborne.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see other teams taking us lightly like they did last year. Already ESPN is calling us the worst secondary in football. Yesterday another dude in Fox Radio was calling us out for losing Murray and now Scandrick. I can see the silver lining. Going out there with a chip in the shoulder. Should be fun.

I was surprised yesterday on NFL Live that Bettis said the Cowboys are still the favorites in the East.