PFT: Simple restructuring of Dak's contract doesn't solve Cowboys' problem

Chasing6

Reaction score
Only thing about Dak's contract in 2024 is that Dallas can convert his base salary to mostly bonus and make it over 3 seasons because of the 2 void years. They don't need Dak's permission for this as it us part of his contract.

It would help this year but just pushes it down the road. It would gives us an extra 21 million on the cap this year so I would expect the Jones to do this by March 13th. With the cap now set at $255.4 million, our salaries for top 51 players put us at $3 million over the cap so executing the conversion on his contract puts us at $18 million under the cap.

To be sure, they will extend Lamb and others as needed when we resign some of our free agents and then other UFAs after March 13th. In truth Dallas could easily free up $50/$60 million if they want.
We are about to find out 2 things. How bad Jeruh wants to keep Dak and how bad Dak wants to remain a Cowboy.

Hopefully they can find some balance and agree to a reasonable contract, because we have no back up plan whatsoever and Jeruh does not want to rebuild.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are about to find out 2 things. How bad Jeruh wants to keep Dak and how bad Dak wants to remain a Cowboy.

Hopefully they can find some balance and agree to a reasonable contract, because we have no back up plan whatsoever and Jeruh does not want to rebuild.
Jerry got a backup plan he traded a # 4 pick for him.
I know it hurts you to imagine the possibilities of a Cowboy offense that can NOT CHOKE in the playoffs.
You have my sympathies!

Chasing6

Reaction score
Jerry got a backup plan he traded a # 4 pick for him.
I know it hurts you to imagine the possibilities of a Cowboy offense that can NOT CHOKE in the playoffs.
You have my sympathies!
Trance is not a back up plan. If anything he is a rebuild plan.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I would not extend. Restructure other players contracts to free up cap space as best you can. Draft well and get Trey Lance ready to compete for 2025. Then you have a QB on a smaller contract and the ability to go all-in in 2025.
The cap is supposed to create parity. It's gone into reverse mode when avg QBs get paid like the best QBs. It's not supposed to be like that. The weaker less talented QBs get paid less so that teams can afford to spend more on supporting cast of players.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Goff didn’t crap the bed in the playoffs…and is only averaging 33m per year…half what Dak wants. That extra 30m will buy a lot of good surrounding cast members.
They also drafted pretty well vs the garbage picks we had. Sure they drafted higher but man.
Supposedly we loved Laporta but took Mazi because of the value of defensive lineman compared to tight end. I know Jerry ripped McClay a new one with that mistake.

Flamma

Reaction score
The 55mil dead is what it is.
Even if no restructure and he walks/his contract voids there's a 36mil dead cap for 2025.

Restructuring now, allows the Cowboys more breathing room for the start of the season.
If they do re-sign him, the prorated signing bonuses from the restructures will stay for each year they go to, which won't be cheap, but at the same time it won't all accelerate to 2025

Edit: I believe Dallas can add void years to the current void years without issue to spread out a potential restructure to knock down the 2024 cap hit even more(up to 2028) to get the proration over 5 years. Simple short term cap trick and if he's re-signed prior to voiding the proration still stays till 2028
Here's the issue I'm seeing. Let's say they give him another 4 year contract for 200M that starts in 2025. Dallas is still on the hook for 95 million besides that. So essentially they'll be spreading out close to 300m over 5 years. Putting some bonus money in void years. There is no good way of spreading that out.

Even if Dak counts as 40M against the cap in 2024, that's 15%. The only team I know to overcome that are the Chiefs. They need Dak at around 30M. But then they years after that become larger.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The 55mil dead is what it is.
Even if no restructure and he walks/his contract voids there's a 36mil dead cap for 2025.

Restructuring now, allows the Cowboys more breathing room for the start of the season.
If they do re-sign him, the prorated signing bonuses from the restructures will stay for each year they go to, which won't be cheap, but at the same time it won't all accelerate to 2025

Edit: I believe Dallas can add void years to the current void years without issue to spread out a potential restructure to knock down the 2024 cap hit even more(up to 2028) to get the proration over 5 years. Simple short term cap trick and if he's re-signed prior to voiding the proration still stays till 20284
55mil? What's the problem?

I've been assured by many posters that the Cap is just a bogey man. Doesn't constrain us in any way.

Creeper

Reaction score
I know another thread about his contract..........but this is probably what we can expect until he gets extended or the start of free agency. This is why I've questioned whether or not they can get this done before March 13. It's a pretty hard deadline .......only 2 weeks left.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...tts-contract-doesnt-solve-the-cowboys-problem

Simple restructuring of Dak Prescott’s contract doesn’t solve the Cowboys’ problem​

Published February 22, 2024 11:25 AM
Some of us already knew this. A simple restructure does not work for Dak, or Zack Martin, or DLaw. To get any relief out of their contracts, the Cowboys need to extend them. It is the only option.

Even if they do restructure Dak, then next year sign him to an extension, pushing money from this year into next severely inhibits their ability to get CAP relief next year.

There are only 2 choices with Dak, extend him for at least 4 more years, or leave his contract alone, take the CAP hit in 2024, and let him go in 2025, still taking $32 million in dead money in 2025.

I cannot stress how bad Jerry made this situation with Dak in 2021. Everything about Dak's current contract is bad for the Cowboys. And it leaves Jerry with no choice but to make the same mistake again. Basically Jerry is relying on Dak's good graces not to screw him to the wall with an extension.

Shannon1

Reaction score
I know another thread about his contract..........but this is probably what we can expect until he gets extended or the start of free agency. This is why I've questioned whether or not they can get this done before March 13. It's a pretty hard deadline .......only 2 weeks left.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...tts-contract-doesnt-solve-the-cowboys-problem

Simple restructuring of Dak Prescott’s contract doesn’t solve the Cowboys’ problem​

Published February 22, 2024 11:25 AM
Salary cap is higher so his article isn’t right as if yesterday we are 3 million over the cap

ghst187

Reaction score
Supposedly we loved Laporta but took Mazi because of the value of defensive lineman compared to tight end. I know Jerry ripped McClay a new one with that mistake.
Would hope so…and granted a real DL stud wouldn’t been worth more but Mazi was a third round prospect at best. Sure word was KC wanted to take Mazi in one but they would be one the ones feeling dumb right now like Denver was about grabbing Paxton Lynch before us years ago. A good player at any position is always >>>>> a scrub at an important one.

conner01

Reaction score
It was an extreme example of how Dallas can free up cap space to go, "all in" to win one in 2024 if they wanted to.
I know. But going all in dorsnt have to mean destroying the future. Looks like the cap is gonna be like 8 mil more than projected which helps a lot. Extending Dak, and signing Lamb clears more money. I just would push money out on some of the older guys like Dlaw.
Jerry’s idea of all in probably isn’t gonna be what fans think. It never is, but a good draft, having a couple of guys from last draft step up and a few good signings can really make a difference. We don’t have the picks to fill all our needs so FA is gonna be important but I don’t think they will go crazy signing big names. No matter what he says, I don’t see them going shopping like some expect

conner01

Reaction score
Salary cap is higher so his article isn’t right as if yesterday we are 3 million over the cap
Just extending Dak and signing Lamb clears enough to make some helpful moves. Lamb is set to make just under 18 and even a top 5 contract can be structured to drop that 18 significantly

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only thing Jerry is ripping is another JW Blue box......................

Jayinem

Reaction score
I didn't know they could do that? Jerry must be a magician.
Brain surgery where he swaps brains with Patrick Mahomes, simple.

Then suddenly Chiefs can't get past Divisional Round ever again.