News: PFT: Stephen Jones: Cowboys have “secret sauce” to win

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like Costa and Kowalski are stud offensive lineman? Right. If you don't think a rookie center and a 2nd year FA who's never started won't struggle initially, then you aren't being realistic.

I didn't say Costa and Kowalski were studs. I said they were an improvement to the depth we had last season. That was in response to your saying "What worries me the most is if we have an injury to one of the starters. Then the line will be worse than last year."

And I didn't say the rookie C and the 2nd year LG wouldn't struggle. I'm saying they will be an improvement to what we had last season, even with their struggles. You can't look me in the virtual face and say that Frederick doesn't represent a significant upgrade to Ryan Cook. If you try, then I'll know you're just sticking to your guns even though we both know you're wrong about that one.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wade won us a playoff game. Something Jason has yet to do. I hate how little credit he gets for that.
I give Wade credit for the record he achieved in Dallas. As a head coach, I think Wade was serviceable, if not well-respected by fans and media. I think where he lacked was in the personnel department and that the roster depth under him eroded.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
If Stephen has the secret sauce, then he needs to serve up a big helping of it this year, before the expiration date passes.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I didn't say Costa and Kowalski were studs. I said they were an improvement to the depth we had last season. That was in response to your saying "What worries me the most is if we have an injury to one of the starters. Then the line will be worse than last year."

And I didn't say the rookie C and the 2nd year LG wouldn't struggle. I'm saying they will be an improvement to what we had last season, even with their struggles. You can't look me in the virtual face and say that Frederick doesn't represent a significant upgrade to Ryan Cook. If you try, then I'll know you're just sticking to your guns even though we both know you're wrong about that one.

Frederick IS and upgrade over Cook. But he's a rookie and ALL rookies struggle. You may not realize it but the center position is the toughest to play on the line. You have to be able to make reads based on defensive scheme at the line. He hasn't seen anything in preseason that will prepare him for the stunts, etc. he's going to face when the season starts. If you think he's not going to struggle along with Leary, then you're wrong. Also, I don't have much faith in 2 scrubs (Costa and Kowalski) as backups. Costa, he's NFL backup caliber at best.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Frederick IS and upgrade over Cook. But he's a rookie and ALL rookies struggle. You may not realize it but the center position is the toughest to play on the line. You have to be able to make reads based on defensive scheme at the line. He hasn't seen anything in preseason that will prepare him for the stunts, etc. he's going to face when the season starts. If you think he's not going to struggle along with Leary, then you're wrong. Also, I don't have much faith in 2 scrubs (Costa and Kowalski) as backups. Costa, he's NFL backup caliber at best.

Re: Frederick, of course I realize he's going to struggle. I'm saying that, struggles and all, he's a significant upgrade over Ryan Cook at Center.

Re: your faith in Costa and Kowalski as backups, you're obviously free to think what you wish about them. The reality still is they were ranked higher on the roster than the players behind them last year, and they were both injured must of last season. Its reasonable to conclude that having them both back and playing in place of players they've beaten out improves depth instead of hurting it. 'Scrubs' or not.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen Jones. Stephen Jones. Stephen Jones. Stephen Jones. Stephen Jones. Stephen Jones. Stephen Jones. Stephen Jones.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
I give Wade credit for the record he achieved in Dallas. As a head coach, I think Wade was serviceable, if not well-respected by fans and media. I think where he lacked was in the personnel department and that the roster depth under him eroded.

He took a Parcells-built team, won 13 games with it, lost a playoff game and proceeded to run it into the ground. Good job, Wade. This is his MO everywhere he goes.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's the secret sauce to winning Super Bowls? Darren Woodson: "You have to win in the trenches. That's the sauce."
Woody, what are you doing to me, my Sun Devil brother?

Mansta54

Reaction score
2 straight 8-8 seasons with no playoff appearances. Only in Dallas Cowboys candyland would that be considered significant strides.
You focus too much on the record instead of the team being built and how its being built. JG is bringing the RKG's and staff to get this thing right. If you know football you'll understand what I'm saying, if you don't really know or been around football then you'll rely on just the record alone.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You focus too much on the record instead of the team being built and how its being built. JG is bringing the RKG's and staff to get this thing right. If you know football you'll understand what I'm saying, if you don't really know or been around football then you'll rely on just the record alone.

Again as I have asked others...What happens if we wind up with yet another mediocre, middle of the road record?

How many years to we go with that type of record with multiple variables changing before you have to stop and change your opinion?

Telling others that they have never played the game just because they don't agree with you is silly.

What about others that have played the game and played it at a very high level that say...something is not working with this team?

See how that works.

Yet what if we see that same type of record yet again?

No more talking the talk, it is time to walk the walk.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Again as I have asked others...What happens if we wind up with yet another mediocre, middle of the road record?

How many years to we go with that type of record with multiple variables changing before you have to stop and change your opinion?

Telling others that they have never played the game just because they don't agree with you is silly.

What about others that have played the game and played it at a very high level that say...something is not working with this team?

See how that works.

Yet what if we see that same type of record yet again?

No more talking the talk, it is time to walk the walk.
Well, you have your opinion and I have mine. I happen to like what JG is doing with this team and the direction he has it going in. If we end up going 8-8 again im still not ready to give up on JG and his process. I'm patient and willing to give him the time to get it done. As for playing or not playing the game its also my opinion that playing and being around football allows you more access to how it works. Again, that's my OPINION and if that's silly to you then so be it. You're entitled to your opinion as well. Go Cowboys!!

Plankton

Reaction score
Interesting that you are ignoring Wade's final season.

If you would "toss the baby out with the bath water" on say a 10-6 season and a playoff appearance, then so be it.

I'm sorry, but wasn't Jason Garrett the Assistant Head Coach and OC of the team during Wade's last season? Are you saying that Garrett bore zero responsibility for 1-7, the coaching staff, where he wanted Hudson Houck, the head coach wanted Mike Solari, and Houck ended up getting hired, and the roster, where he stumped for Felix Jones while his head coach wanted Chris Johnson?

Garrett bears some blame for that season as well.