News: PFT: Stephen Jones: Cowboys have “secret sauce” to win

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys played hard for Phillips too, up until the final two games of his tenure.

The Cowboys generally played hard for Dave Campo, right up until Coslet screwed him and the team by conveniently not having a play on fourth down against the 49ers.

At some point, results have to be commensurate with the "effort". To this point, they haven't been.

I wouldn't agree with either of those statements. The Campo years weren't fair, because those teams were absolutely bereft of talent. I think the teams liked both coaches, but they didn't show the same resilience they showed last year for Garrett. They flat-quit in embarrassing fashion for Wade, no matter how much they liked the guy.

At some point, results always have to be commensurate with effort, I agree. You'd also have to agree that the league is full of teams that have not been successful under good and great coaches for factors not under the coach's direct control. The trick is in figuring out what's holding the team back, and whether or not it's the head coach. Just changing coaches when things don't go right for an entire team, is silly.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because *motivation* is the reason this team hasn't won more games. Motivation to have a better pass defense, limit turnovers, get more takeaways, and provide better pass protection.

It's not going to be possible to separate the motivational effect of firing the old coach from the motivational efforts of the new one you brought in. And it doesn't matter, anyway. Garrett's teams play hard for him. It's pretty hard to deny that convincingly.

I can easily say that I've yet to see the Cowboys "quit" during a game during the Garrett-era.

Wade-era? Let me count the ways... "We Quit" in 2008. Last game EVER in Texas Stadium. Several in 2010. Last season with all the injuries on defense, it was the perfect opportunity for at least the defense to quit... And there was none of that.

I doubt "Jerry's job threat" extended into 2012. o_O

Plankton

Reaction score
I wouldn't agree with either of those statements. The Campo years weren't fair, because those teams were absolutely bereft of talent. I think the teams liked both coaches, but they didn't show the same resilience they showed last year for Garrett. They flat-quit in embarrassing fashion for Wade, no matter how much they liked the guy.

At some point, results always have to be commensurate with effort, I agree. You'd also have to agree that the league is full of teams that have not been successful under good and great coaches for factors not under the coach's direct control. The trick is in figuring out what's holding the team back, and whether or not it's the head coach. Just changing coaches when things don't go right for an entire team, is silly.

If you don't think that the Cowboys played hard for Wade Phillips, then I don't know what to say. I guess 2007 and 2009 were mirages.

And yes, they completely quit on him. The same way that the Cowboys quit on Barry Switzer in 1997 and Dave Campo in 2002. This is what happens when players stop responding to coaches.

To this point, they play hard for Garrett. I do not think this is something to be applauded - it should be the expectation. What I have seen from the Cowboys under Garrett is a team that plays hard, but remains mistake prone and unable to sustain strong play for extended periods of time. In other words, a .500 team.

At this point, I think the excuses are out the window. The Cowboys are three years removed from Wade Phillips. All but 17 players that were on the 2010 team are gone. This is Garrett's team. He needs to get the team to the playoffs.

If he doesn't, Wade Phillips would have been a bigger success than Jason Garrett. Even with his team quitting on him.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you don't think that the Cowboys played hard for Wade Phillips, then I don't know what to say. I guess 2007 and 2009 were mirages.

And yes, they completely quit on him. The same way that the Cowboys quit on Barry Switzer in 1997 and Dave Campo in 2002. This is what happens when players stop responding to coaches.

To this point, they play hard for Garrett. I do not think this is something to be applauded - it should be the expectation. What I have seen from the Cowboys under Garrett is a team that plays hard, but remains mistake prone and unable to sustain strong play for extended periods of time. In other words, a .500 team.

At this point, I think the excuses are out the window. The Cowboys are three years removed from Wade Phillips. All but 17 players that were on the 2010 team are gone. This is Garrett's team. He needs to get the team to the playoffs.

If he doesn't, Wade Phillips would have been a bigger success than Jason Garrett. Even with his team quitting on him.

When I say they quit on Wade, I'm obviously talking about 2010.

And, yes, the excuses for Garrett should be out the window at this point. But note, I'm not making excuses for him. I think he's done a great job. I think you're measuring him with the wrong measuring stick if you've found the job he's done in 2011 and 2012 to be wanting. Specifically, the problems with this team are not with its head coach, and they have not been (he has made his share of mistakes, I just mean we've had a lot bigger fish to fry than Jason Garrett). I know there are fans who are going to want to measure the performance of the coach and the QB solely on won/loss records. I think that's simplistic, and likely to get you making substantial changes willy-nilly without addressing the actual problems that are keeping the team from getting over the hump.

Fortunately, I'm also convinced the organization is very high on Garrett, and I don't think he seat is all that hot. Unless he implodes this year, I think they expect to keep him around.

Plankton

Reaction score

And, yes, the excuses for Garrett should be out the window at this point. But note, I'm not making excuses for him. I think he's done a great job. I think you're measuring him with the wrong measuring stick if you've found the job he's done in 2011 and 2012 to be wanting. Specifically, the problems with this team are not with its head coach, and they have not been (he has made his share of mistakes, I just mean we've had a lot bigger fish to fry than Jason Garrett). I know there are fans who are going to want to measure the performance of the coach and the QB solely on won/loss records. I think that's simplistic, and likely to get you making substantial changes willy-nilly without addressing the actual problems that are keeping the team from getting over the hump.

Fortunately, I'm also convinced the organization is very high on Garrett, and I don't think he seat is all that hot. Unless he implodes this year, I think they expect to keep him around.

Everything that you said, I don't have an argument with....except for the bolded part. He has not done a great job. He has been a .500 coach. His team ranks near the bottom of the league in penalties, for all of the "toughness" and the seeming distance from Camp Cupcake that he has "taken" the team, the team had the worst rushing offense in Dallas in my lifetime. They cannot consistently gain yards on the ground in short yardage situations, which hurts them in the red zone.

Saying that he has done a great job is opinion, I get it, but it's also hyperbole.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everything that you said, I don't have an argument with....except for the bolded part. He has not done a great job. He has been a .500 coach. His team ranks near the bottom of the league in penalties, for all of the "toughness" and the seeming distance from Camp Cupcake that he has "taken" the team, the team had the worst rushing offense in Dallas in my lifetime. They cannot consistently gain yards on the ground in short yardage situations, which hurts them in the red zone.

Saying that he has done a great job is opinion, I get it, but it's also hyperbole.

Well, the fact that I don't give a rip re: an effective rushing offense probably plays a big role in how our evaluations differ. Either way, we probably agree: the things that have been holding this team back should mostly be addressed by now. Outside something catastrophically bad happening, if Garrett's the coach I think and we all hope he is, we'll have some success, starting basically now.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Garrett also has to deal with the burden of the 4 wasted drafts (1 under Parcells, 3 under Wade) that greatly helped put this franchise behind the "8-ball":

2006 Draft[edit source | editbeta]
RoundPick #OverallNamePositionCollege
11818Bobby CarpenterLinebackerOhio State
22153Anthony FasanoTight EndNotre Dame
32892Jason HatcherDefensive EndGrambling State
428125Skyler GreenWide ReceiverLSU
55138Pat WatkinsSafetyFlorida State
613182Montavious StanleyDefensive TackleLouisville
73211Pat McQuistanOffensive TackleWeber State
716244E. J. WhitleyCenterTexas Tech
2007 Draft[edit source | editbeta]
12626Anthony SpencerLinebackerPurdue
3367James MartenOffensive TackleBoston College
44103Isaiah StanbackWide ReceiverWashington
423122Doug FreeOffensive TackleNorthern Illinois
64178Nick FolkKickerArizona
621195Deon AndersonFullbackConnecticut
72212Courtney BrownDefensive BackCal Poly
727237Alan BallCornerbackIllinois
2008 Draft[edit source | editbeta]
12222Felix JonesRunning BackArkansas
12525Mike JenkinsCornerbackSouth Florida
23061Martellus BennettTight EndTexas A&M
423122Tashard ChoiceRunning BackGeorgia Tech
58143Orlando ScandrickCornerbackBoise State
61167Erik WaldenLinebackerMiddle Tennessee State
2009 Draft[edit source | editbeta]
3569Jason WilliamsLinebackerWestern Illinois
31175Robert BrewsterOffensive TackleBall State
41101Stephen McGeeQuarterbackTexas A&M
410110Victor ButlerLinebackerOregon State
420120Brandon WilliamsDefensive EndTexas Tech
57153DeAngelo SmithCornerbackCincinnati
530166Michael HamlinSafetyClemson
536172David BuehlerKickerUSC
624197Stephen HodgeSafetyTCU
635208John PhillipsTight EndVirginia
718227Mike MickensCornerbackCincinnati
720229Manuel JohnsonWide ReceiverOklahoma

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett also has to deal with the burden of the 4 wasted drafts (1 under Parcells, 3 under Wade) that greatly helped put this franchise behind the "8-ball":

You know I"m with you, MW, but acknowledging that just gets categorized as excuse making.

As far as I'm concerned, he doesn't need to make excuses, and our fans should really be happy with the current direction so far. There's more involved in winning games in the NFL than head coaching, and if we're being fair, we all know it. I agree the wins have to come, but I don't think that fact invalidates all the great stuff he's done addressing the roster, the staff, handling the media, handling Jerry, working within tight cap constraints and the new CBA, and getting this new team ready to play this season. JG's impact is a level up in the hierarchy, so it's not as simple as seeing Tony Romo play and knowing he's good at his job, but, at the end of the day, it comes down to the same thing. Jason's good at his job whether all fans recognize it, or not. Right?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
What get5s me is the quit comments when the players can do what they wish on the field and the head coach gets the bad rap.

Players quitting was players who didn't care. Some of them are STILL on this team.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Wade had no control over the draft, pursuing FAs or choosing his staff (offense). Wade was the HC in name only, was more of a glorified defensive coordinator.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Jerry has finally learned that a revolving door at HC won't work long term.

Can you offer some evidence that he has learned any lesson on this issue?

One would think the Joey Galloway move would have taught him not to over pay for players.

Then we have Roy Williams.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wade had no control over the draft, pursuing FAs or choosing his staff (offense). Wade was the HC in name only, was more of a glorified defensive coordinator.

It's been mentioned by more than one person that Jason Williams was a Wade "pet cat".

No, Wade may not have controlled the draft but guys like he and Houck (the Brewster pick) made sure they influenced the thing... for the worst.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

Funny that Garrett was here for all but one of those drafts and was the assistant head coach, yet he gets 0 blame. I don't get it.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny that Garrett was here for all but one of those drafts and was the assistant head coach, yet he gets 0 blame. I don't get it.

There is a difference Bob between minority blame and majority blame.

The majority blame is going to get the hammer.

I was one of those who questioned way back then on if Garrett would get the HC job because he was the offensive coordinator.

Lucky for us that he did huh? :)

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
There is a difference Bob between minority blame and majority blame.

The majority blame is going to get the hammer.

I was one of those who questioned way back then on if Garrett would get the HC job because he was the offensive coordinator.

Lucky for us that he did huh? :)

I'm no too impressed with his body of work so far.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm no too impressed with his body of work so far.

You are not looking hard enough. Injuries derailed last year and we still went 8-8. The draft is going better under Garrett than it has in years. His efforts both on and off the field are obvious. No more trouble makers and we have the best roster in years.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
This is honestly the type of quote you hear when someone's been secretly saucing all afternoon. They probably caught him in the hallway when he was going to refill his flask.

Ratmatt

Reaction score
The secret sauce lies in the trenches.That's the one area where the Cowboys are running low on secret sauce.