PFT: T.O. to get in trouble for touchdown towel?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've noticed recently that Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens has a habit of waving around his "Touchdown Towel" after scoring. It's an item that Owens sells on his personal web site.

But, as far as we can tell, Owens' item isn't an officially-licensed NFL product. And thus he should not be wearing it or displaying it during games.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello tells us that the league is looking into the situation. In all fairness to the league's sponsors and to other players who have been fined in the past for such conduct, Owens should be prevented from showing the thing off.

It's no different than the hat for an unauthorized water product that Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher wore at the Super Bowl media day, for which Urlacher was fined $100,000. And it's likewise no different than the headbands that Bears quarterback Jim McMahon wore in 1985.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
This seems pretty much an open and shut case for the league to come down on TO.

People will scream about Cowboy bias and somehow relate it to Andy Reid.

Regardless, TO is going to get fined for this one.

conner01

Reaction score
STICK A NIKE LOGO ON IT AND GO ON.
how is this any different than chad johnson's so called hall of fame jacket?
is there a logo on the towwl or just say td towel? i could'nt read it enough to tell. if no other non-sanctioned logo is on it i don't see why he would be fined

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I somehow don't think Owens will give a crap. He got his face time waving it so that is all that matters to him.

I love the way PFT makes a statment basically stating he should be fined but hedges its bets but adding a question mark at the end.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
This wasn't the first time i've seen him wave the towel. Funny they didn't nail him before.

joseephuss

Reaction score
conner01;1746995 said:
STICK A NIKE LOGO ON IT AND GO ON.
how is this any different than chad johnson's so called hall of fame jacket?
is there a logo on the towwl or just say td towel? i could'nt read it enough to tell. if no other non-sanctioned logo is on it i don't see why he would be fined

Isn't Reebok the official NFL product? :D

Chad Johnson isn't trying to sell the HoF jacket. TO is selling the towels. That is the difference. Maybe not a fine initially, but I would not be surprised if he doesn't receive a letter telling him to stop.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The NFL sponsors and has interest in the HOF. It has no sponsorship or interest in Owens' touchdown towel.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If the fine is less than Owens is making selling the Towels ..... he will not care.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Of course he will be fined, anywhere from $5000 to $10000. Maybe he will recoup the fine with more sales now that he will get the publicity.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
They can fine him, but he can do the same thing Jerry did concerning Texas Stadium. Sue the hell out of them.

First, there is no competing logo on the towl. It only has his website's web address on it.

He has done nothing that the NFL can reasonably do anything about.

If so, I would just call Jerry's lawyer and tell them to lay a slapdown on them.

ddh33

Reaction score
Good Lord...sigh.

If this happens I really am going to make even more Goodell/David Stern comparisons.

dogberry

Reaction score
If TO fined, Jerry buys a bunch and gives away to the fans.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
nyc;1747029 said:
They can fine him, but he can do the same thing Jerry did concerning Texas Stadium. Sue the hell out of them.

First, there is no competing logo on the towl. It only has his website's web address on it.

He has done nothing that the NFL can reasonably do anything about.

If so, I would just call Jerry's lawyer and tell them to lay a slapdown on them.
His logo is on the towel, that would be competing.

adamknite

Reaction score
They wouldn't let Nolan wear a suite because it wasn't pimped by Reebok. But they let Johnson wear his "HOF" jacket along the sidelines (which I don't know if it was reebok or not). They find Plummer more money for honoring his former team mate then they did people who really did something wrong.

Wouldn't suprise me in the least if they fine TO.... seems up to their normal standards, they already allow refs to give him penalties for "spiking" the ball.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I love the game, but hate the NFL. I think it all started when they started banning the use of the term SuperBowl without paying for it's use.