PFT: T.O. to get in trouble for touchdown towel?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
abersonc;1747145 said:
Well, for 100k or whatever he gets fined, he just bought a commercial during SNF.

Sounds like TO might know exactly what he was doing.
Depends on how much demand there is for the towels. I know a guy who does websites and online stores for several well known and not so well known musicians. Some make a lot of money, some are more trouble than they're worth.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1747243 said:
I just checked it out and yes it is a licensed product of the NFL

Thanks for checking into that.

How much was Urlachers fine at the SB last year when he wore that Vitamin Water hat? I know it was more than normal because of it being the SB. I just don't recall what the average fine is for something like that.

If this is true then yeah - I see T.O getting a fine.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Dallas;1747249 said:

How much was Urlachers fine at the SB last year when he wore that Vitamin Water hat? I know it was more than normal because of it being the SB. I just don't recall what the average fine is for something like that.

Urlacher was fined $100,000 for wearing the hat and drinking the water. The usual fine I believe is between $5,000 and $10,000.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas;1747249 said:

I'm sure TO can handle the fine. :laugh2:

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
i had seen the towels on his website but wasnt going to buy one.
IF...the nfl fines him i will buy 1 for sure ....
at one of the games this year they were giving away " wades warriors " towels. i need to get home and check to see if those are nfl " licensed" or not.
i hated TO when he played against us, but now he is one of us and if the
nfl messes with him, they are messing with us.
now ive gotten mad and will buy the 10 pack...dadgummit

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc;1747228 said:
Why the hell would I want 10 TO towels?
Gifts?

All I know is, if he gets fined I will buy at least one to support him, because although I realize the NFL always does this, I still think it's petty, and always have.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Hostile;1747305 said:
Gifts?

All I know is, if he gets fined I will buy at least one to support him, because although I realize the NFL always does this, I still think it's petty, and always have.
If I bought one, it would just be because I thought it was cool and got one, not to "support" TO. He has 25 million reasons why he doesnt need additional support, and if this was his plan, than he must understand the cost of doing business.

But you are right about the NFL being petty

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dogunwo;1747678 said:
But you are right about the NFL being petty

I don't think this is the NFL being petty so much as giving their sponsors exclusive rights.

If you are Gatorade and you are paying a premium to the NFL to be an official sponsor, then you would be seriously pissed off to see a player wearing a Vitaminwater hat during an official event.

The issue here is that a competing company could get a player to advertise their products for far cheaper than the league would charge. This is just the league protecting their interests.

joseephuss

Reaction score
abersonc;1747705 said:
I don't think this is the NFL being petty so much as giving their sponsors exclusive rights.

If you are Gatorade and you are paying a premium to the NFL to be an official sponsor, then you would be seriously pissed off to see a player wearing a Vitaminwater hat during an official event.

The issue here is that a competing company could get a player to advertise their products for far cheaper than the league would charge. This is just the league protecting their interests.

It is also the league protecting the players' interests. The players get a nice percentage of the NFL profits and some of those profits come from advertisers. That is all part of the CBA.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
I hate this kind of petty crap.

Speaking of Gatorade, I believe they are owned by Coca-Cola. Would someone be equally fined for promoting another Coke product during the game ?

What if TO somehow got a deal with Gatorade and had it stamped on the towel ?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1747776 said:
I hate this kind of petty crap.

Speaking of Gatorade, I believe they are owned by Coca-Cola. Would someone be equally fined for promoting another Coke product during the game ?

What if TO somehow got a deal with Gatorade and had it stamped on the towel ?

So you think that if a sponsor pays millions of dollars to be an exclusive sponsor for a certain type of product that players can go and make side deals and push a competitor's product during NFL events?

Come on. That isn't realistic.

It doesn't matter who owns Gatorade (it is actually pepsi) - they are an exclusive sponsor. period. end of story.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It's not petty at all. You have to draw a line somewhere or else every player will be pimping his own website every time the camera's on him.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
abersonc;1747786 said:
So you think that if a sponsor pays millions of dollars to be an exclusive sponsor for a certain type of product that players can go and make side deals and push a competitor's product during NFL events?

Come on. That isn't realistic.

It doesn't matter who owns Gatorade (it is actually pepsi) - they are an exclusive sponsor. period. end of story.

Fine, so it is Pepsi. What product is TO selling ? Himself. I don't recall him saying buy my towel on interviews or during the games. So say he has a Pepsi logo on the towel. My point was would it be as big a problem or a problem at all ?

Reebok pays millions to be the exclusive apparel of the on-field NFL product, however lots of guys including TO wear Nike cleats.

And teams make side deals ALL the time, why should a player not have that option ?

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
So who is the official touchdown towel provider of the NFL?

Which product did his towel hurt?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1747801 said:
Fine, so it is Pepsi. What product is TO selling ? Himself. I don't recall him saying buy my towel on interviews or during the games. So say he has a Pepsi logo on the towel. My point was would it be as big a problem or a problem at all ?

Reebok pays millions to be the exclusive apparel of the on-field NFL product, however lots of guys including TO wear Nike cleats.

And teams make side deals ALL the time, why should a player not have that option ?

There wouldn't have been a pepsi logo on it, so that point is not relevant.

Players are allowed to wear whatever game relevant gear they want. They aren't allowed to pimp whatever products they want. Teams are allowed to make deals to sell products, but not those in direct competition with NFL sponsors.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
BigDFan5;1747825 said:
So who is the official touchdown towel provider of the NFL?

Which product did his towel hurt?

He is selling the towels. You can't use a nationally televised game to sell your own products. Did you miss that part of the thread?

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
abersonc;1747834 said:
He is selling the towels. You can't use a nationally televised game to sell your own products. Did you miss that part of the thread?

At what point did he say anything about someone buying his towels?

From the TV you couldnt even read the web address

He was not trying to sell towels, if the NFL thinks he was they are idiots.

Him flashing his towel did not hurt any NFL sponsor

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BigDFan5;1747837 said:
At what point did he say anything about someone buying his towels?

From the TV you couldnt even read the web address

He was not trying to sell towels, if the NFL thinks he was they are idiots.

Him flashing his towel did not hurt any NFL sponsor
What sponsor was "hurt" by Urlacher's Vitamin Water hat?

They will protect their contracts and I don't have an issue with that.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Hostile;1747839 said:
What sponsor was "hurt" by Urlacher's Vitamin Water hat?

They will protect their contracts and I don't have an issue with that.

Vitamin water is owned by Coca Cola, NFL is sponsored by Pepsi

Vitamin water is also rival to NFL sponsor gatorade

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
abersonc;1747833 said:
There wouldn't have been a pepsi logo on it, so that point is not relevant.

Players are allowed to wear whatever game relevant gear they want. They aren't allowed to pimp whatever products they want. Teams are allowed to make deals to sell products, but not those in direct competition with NFL sponsors.

So you have never seen the commercials with the "official beer of the NFL". And then seen Bud or Miller logos (or whomever the official beer isn't) on the television screen ? Ads all around the stadium ?

I don't think Citgo is an official sponsor for the MLB but the sign is shown on every Red Sox broadcast. Intentionally even.

I just don't see it as him officially advertising against a competitor.

Same as TO wears Jordan/Nike brand shoes. Papa John's official pizza of the NFL ? McDonalds official burger ? Hooters official wings ? etc.