PFT: T.O. to get in trouble for touchdown towel?

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Until today, I didn't even know he sold those towels. He wasn't saying buy one, he was pointing and saying basically see TD.

Because he is Owens, he will get nailed

AbeBeta

Reaction score
BigDFan5;1747837 said:
At what point did he say anything about someone buying his towels?

From the TV you couldnt even read the web address

He was not trying to sell towels, if the NFL thinks he was they are idiots.

Him flashing his towel did not hurt any NFL sponsor

Oh, I see, he didn't say "buy my towel" into the camera-- yeah, that makes it right.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1747895 said:
So you have never seen the commercials with the "official beer of the NFL". And then seen Bud or Miller logos (or whomever the official beer isn't) on the television screen ? Ads all around the stadium ?

I don't think Citgo is an official sponsor for the MLB but the sign is shown on every Red Sox broadcast. Intentionally even.

I just don't see it as him officially advertising against a competitor.

Same as TO wears Jordan/Nike brand shoes. Papa John's official pizza of the NFL ? McDonalds official burger ? Hooters official wings ? etc.

So your argument is that the players should be able to do what they want?

Well, they can't so you are wrong and TO is getting fined. TO can't advertise ANYTHING during a game. Case closed.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1747962 said:
Until today, I didn't even know he sold those towels. He wasn't saying buy one, he was pointing and saying basically see TD.

But as you point out - now you DO know he sells the towels -- so that aspect of the advertising worked perfectly.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
abersonc;1748057 said:
Oh, I see, he didn't say "buy my towel" into the camera-- yeah, that makes it right.

Your claim is he was advertising his towel to sell it.

Yet he did not say anything at all about the towel to try and make any sells.

He flashed his towel to mock Philly fans nothing more.

dogberry

Reaction score
During an interview after the game could TO say buy my towels or drink RCS without risk of a fine.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
abersonc;1748064 said:
So your argument is that the players should be able to do what they want?

Well, they can't so you are wrong and TO is getting fined. TO can't advertise ANYTHING during a game. Case closed.

They can't capitalize on their position in front of the camera, but the owners can ?

The question would still be was he advertising anything more than himself ?

I suppose he advertises for Nike during every game because those are the shoes he wears, but that is perfectly fine even though Reebok has the exclusive contract. Maybe that is why he does endzone dances, so people can look at his feet.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
abersonc;1748065 said:
But as you point out - now you DO know he sells the towels -- so that aspect of the advertising worked perfectly.

He knows because the league called it such. If anything the league made it advertising more than TO did.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1748128 said:
They can't capitalize on their position in front of the camera, but the owners can ?

As pointed out earlier, the CBA gives players a large chunk of the advertising dollars. So the players are capitalizing.

Please read more closely.

There are parameters established that tell him where, when, and what he can capitalize on. If he doesn't like that, he can play in the CFL. If you don't like it, get a dish and enjoy all the Toronto Argonaut games.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
BigDFan5;1748075 said:
Your claim is he was advertising his towel to sell it.

Yet he did not say anything at all about the towel to try and make any sells.

He flashed his towel to mock Philly fans nothing more.

He is SELLING the towel.

If you think that is some sort of coincidence then you are particularly naive.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1748130 said:
He knows because the league called it such. If anything the league made it advertising more than TO did.

Right. Nobody knew he sold those towels. Now they do and surprise, special sale on terrellowens.com on the towels.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
abersonc;1748163 said:
Right. Nobody knew he sold those towels. Now they do and surprise, special sale on terrellowens.com on the towels.

So therefore the league is indeed advertising for TO. And TO is advertising for Nike.

They don't fine him for wearing Nike cleats.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1747962 said:

I don't agree with that. Brian Urlacher got nailed. He isn't TO. Years ago, Jim McMahon got nailed. He isn't TO either.

On this he NFL has always been consistent.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1748167 said:
So therefore the league is indeed advertising for TO. And TO is advertising for Nike.

They don't fine him for wearing Nike cleats.

Again, parameters of what he is allowed to do. He and other players can wear whatever cleats they want. Why is it so hard for you to understand that there is a contract and that players should know exactly what they can and can't do?

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
abersonc;1748157 said:
He is SELLING the towel.

If you think that is some sort of coincidence then you are particularly naive.

He was mocking Philly fans

Him showing a towel with absolutely no mention of selling or where to get it, is not selling

I swear you argue just to argue.

You still havent told me who the official touchdown towel supplier of the NFL was, or which sponsor him flashing a towel hurt

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
abersonc;1748163 said:

The towels have been that price for quite awile

And the only reason people know now is because of PFT and this thread. Ask anyone who didnt know he sold those towels how they found out. I bet it wasnt from him flashing it

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Did Owens even know he was being filmed? This question has to be asked because it's different from the Ulracher situation. What if he was just waving his towel, and showing it off and he happened to have got caught on camera? I didn't even know he had any towels to sell.

Was he waving his towel to the Philadelphia crowd to have them buy one? Don't you think he's selling to the wrong crowd then?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
BigDFan5;1748189 said:
He was mocking Philly fans

Him showing a towel with absolutely no mention of selling or where to get it, is not selling

I swear you argue just to argue.

You still havent told me who the official touchdown towel supplier of the NFL was, or which sponsor him flashing a towel hurt

The towel clearly has his website on it -- that's where they sell it.

He was clearly gaining exposure for his product -- and if you want to do that, you need to pay for a commercial or other form of advertising license. That's advertising revenue dollars the league didn't get.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1748202 said:
Did Owens even know he was being filmed? This question has to be asked because it's different from the Ulracher situation. What if he was just waving his towel, and showing it off and he happened to have got caught on camera? I didn't even know he had any towels to sell.

Was he waving his towel to the Philadelphia crowd to have them buy one? Don't you think he's selling to the wrong crowd then?

Are you FREAKING SERIOUS? Did Owens even know he was being filmed?

Come on. He knows exactly where the camera is at all times.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
BigDFan5;1748192 said:
The towels have been that price for quite awile

And the only reason people know now is because of PFT and this thread. Ask anyone who didnt know he sold those towels how they found out. I bet it wasnt from him flashing it

You can simply google "to touchdown towel" and there you are -- doesn't take a genius to find this.

So those touchdown towels have been on the front page of his web page for how long? Funny, I'd think they'd be pushing jerseys.