News: PFT: Trysten Hill fell asleep during team meeting with Isiah Thomas

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marinelli was the main driving force in picking Hill. He was also the main driving force in picking Taco. Sure, others got on board but this franchise largely defers to Marinelli when it comes to drafting DL. And he's been hit and miss at drafting guys.

The fact Hill is showing signs of laziness and lack of focus which would fall in line with the various scouting reports on him from college and one of the reported reasons he had issues with the new UCF coaching staff, yes, reflects on the DL coach of the Cowboys who vouched for him. He bears the most responsibility here. If you want to sprinkle some blame around to the scouts who also liked him or Jerry for actually making the pick, sure. But Marinelli was the driving force behind that pick.

Now throw in the fact that the production along the DL has been suspect and the fact that over the last few years, we've read criticisms after losses that teams could figure out what our DL was doing in games based on tendencies and hand placement, it's becoming more obvious that it might be time for the Cowboys to consider going in a different direction with the DL in 2020, possibly even a different direction at DC as well in 2020, if Garrett gets extended.

:hammer:

It's too bad that some fans feel compelled to lie to themselves.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Marinelli was the main driving force in picking Hill. He was also the main driving force in picking Taco. Sure, others got on board but this franchise largely defers to Marinelli when it comes to drafting DL. And he's been hit and miss at drafting guys.

The fact Hill is showing signs of laziness and lack of focus which would fall in line with the various scouting reports on him from college and one of the reported reasons he had issues with the new UCF coaching staff, yes, reflects on the DL coach of the Cowboys who vouched for him. He bears the most responsibility here. If you want to sprinkle some blame around to the scouts who also liked him or Jerry for actually making the pick, sure. But Marinelli was the driving force behind that pick.

Now throw in the fact that the production along the DL has been suspect and the fact that over the last few years, we've read criticisms after losses that teams could figure out what our DL was doing in games based on tendencies and hand placement, it's becoming more obvious that it might be time for the Cowboys to consider going in a different direction with the DL in 2020, possibly even a different direction at DC as well in 2020, if Garrett gets extended.

I'm on board with a different DC, I was when we brought in Kiffen. But that doesn't change the long history of ignoring high DT picks.

timb2

Reaction score
Trysten Hill fell asleep during team meeting with Isiah Thomas

gettyimages-1163803895-e1572555079526.jpg

Cowboys defensive tackle Trysten Hill not only showed up late for a meeting Tuesday, but the rookie has drawn the team's ire for other recent transgressions. Hill fell asleep during a team me...

Read Full Story

The new Dwayne Goodrich....I'm ready to cut bait

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm on board with a different DC, I was when we brought in Kiffen. But that doesn't change the long history of ignoring high DT picks.

But a big reason why we don't invest high picks in DTs is because of who the DL coach is. Yes, we have not spent high picks on DTs before he got here but it's clear now that he's a driving force in not taking DTs early. Remember, this franchise was going to take Sharif Floyd in the first round until Marinelli said he wanted no part of it, which is one of the few right calls he has made. Jerry backed off picking Floyd because he backed Marinelli and the rest is history.

Marinelli needs to go. I don't understand the support this guy gets from some. He's never built a particularly good pass rushing team since he's been here. When he was DC, the defenses were so-so. They have not ever really generated turnovers under him, save for one season. He's made some peculiar personnel decisions that bombed (he was a big proponent of both Thornton and Nolan Carroll in FA that both bombed out early, he was a big proponent of Paea, who also never did anything). There's no question, at one time, he was a great DL coach. But sometimes, guys get stale and either just need to go off into the sunset or maybe just change their surroundings.

Frankly, the whole defensive staff probably needs a purge because I am not sure we are employing the best system for the talent we have. With guys like LVE and Smith and speed on the edges, we should be a more attacking style of defense than we are.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Is the season over? Is Hill not continuing to screwup and disappoint? Is that not both relevant and current news? How is it not "worth the energy"? You're also proving my prior comments right in your attempts to minimize this.

Not at all, what is there to minimize. He's a late 2nd round pick struggling. That's obvious but what do you propose we do about him? Other words, how to FIX the problem......cut your losses after one season, or work with him? Bottom line, can this kid help us win games?

BTW.....why are we focusing so much energy on one non-starting player?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
CowboysZone is a fan discussion site, where even a Trysten Hill thread will make members snipe at each other.

Trysten.

Hill.

Thread needs an exorcism. Where's Father Merrin when you need him?

So true.....LOL

Sydla

Reaction score
Not at all, what is there to minimize. He's a late 2nd round pick struggling. That's obvious but what do you propose we do about him? Other words, how to FIX the problem......cut your losses after one season, or work with him? Bottom line, can this kid help us win games?

Well for starters............

That "non-starting player" was a 2nd round pick that the team thought would help this team this year. This after the fact BS of "Hill was always going to be a developmental guy" is just that BS. The team never sold him as some long term project. Further, this idea that no one should expect a 2nd round DT to be able to contribute early is more BS. Other DTs taken in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds have been able to make early contributions. Even many fans here were buying it. When McCoy shook free from Tampa, there were fans here who said the Cowboys should be all over him. But a majority of fans said we didn't need a guy like McCoy because we drafted Hill. So for those same fans to now suggest Hill was always going to be a long term project is disingenuous.

Further, he's a focus because right now one of the issues facing this team has been DT play. They went cheap in FA in picking up Covington when there were bigger names on the board they could have signed and then used a 2nd round pick on a DT. DT issues solved, they said.

But in reality, they weren't. And this just is just a small part of what is becoming a larger issue with our DL coach. Our DLs are simply never great. At what point do you hold the DL coach accountable for the overall play of the DL? When can we hold him accountable for his influence on the talent along the DL, that he has a heavy hand in?

Hill is just a symptom of a larger problem IMO.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well for starters............

That "non-starting player" was a 2nd round pick that the team thought would help this team this year. This after the fact BS of "Hill was always going to be a developmental guy" is just that BS. The team never sold him as some long term project. Further, this idea that no one should expect a 2nd round DT to be able to contribute early is more BS. Other DTs taken in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds have been able to make early contributions. Even many fans here were buying it. When McCoy shook free from Tampa, there were fans here who said the Cowboys should be all over him. But a majority of fans said we didn't need a guy like McCoy because we drafted Hill. So for those same fans to now suggest Hill was always going to be a long term project is disingenuous.

Further, he's a focus because right now one of the issues facing this team has been DT play. They went cheap in FA in picking up Covington when there were bigger names on the board they could have signed and then used a 2nd round pick on a DT. DT issues solved, they said.

But in reality, they weren't. And this just is just a small part of what is becoming a larger issue with our DL coach. Our DLs are simply never great. At what point do you hold the DL coach accountable for the overall play of the DL? When can we hold him accountable for his influence on the talent along the DL, that he has a heavy hand in?

Hill is just a symptom of a larger problem IMO.

Bingo!!!!!!!!! That's my point, this defense, this team has problems way bigger than Hill if we're talking about winning this season. Like I said earlier, Marinelli contract is expiring after the season. So unless some think he should be fired immediately he's likely done anyway.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yet you're minimizing things once again?

This is a 2nd round draft pick we're talking about. A guy who isn't getting on the field and is screwing up off of it. The 'shrug your shoulders', 'oh well' approach is way off base. Shouldn't we be focusing on the screw-ups of a "non-starting player" when we need him to be starting?

And Hill's struggles are yet more evidence staring us in the face of bad organizational decision-making hurting this team. And Hill has had multiple recent screwups. Exactly when would be a good time to talk about these things?

Your posts are coming across as more 'fan defense mechanism' stuff. Don't want to talk about the tough stuff.

cern

Reaction score
thomas might be boring. hill might have narcolelpsy. possibly trepanomiasis gambiensi?

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboysZone is a fan discussion site, where even a Trysten Hill thread will make members snipe at each other.

Trysten.

Hill.

Thread needs an exorcism. Where's Father Merrin when you need him?

This year's 2nd round pick. If zero return from a 2nd round pick is nothing to you. that's your prerogative.

But it begs the question then, why post at all if it doesn't matter to you?

Sydla

Reaction score
Bingo!!!!!!!!! That's my point, this defense, this team has problems way bigger than Hill if we're talking about winning this season. Like I said earlier, Marinelli contract is expiring after the season. So unless some think he should be fired immediately he's likely done anyway.

But Hill is the latest possible foible by the DL coach and you are in a thread talking about how Hill got sent home for being late for a meeting and also apparently falling asleep during meetings.

So it's peculiar why you are surprised people are talking about this in a thread that's about something said player did.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This thread is embarrassing

Sure is.

When your 2nd round draft pick is inactive, late for meetings, and falling asleep, it's a HUGE embarrassment.

The team that drafted him should be embarrassed.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But Hill is the latest possible foible by the DL coach and you are in a thread talking about how Hill got sent home for being late for a meeting and also apparently falling asleep during meetings.

So it's peculiar why you are surprised people are talking about this in a thread that's about something said player did.

You know the real point.

They don't like hearing bad news so they want to minimize it and try to talk about why nobody should be talking about it.

Their own actions betray their intentions.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yet you're minimizing things once again?

This is a 2nd round draft pick we're talking about. A guy who isn't getting on the field and is screwing up off of it. The 'shrug your shoulders', 'oh well' approach is way off base. Shouldn't we be focusing on the screw-ups of a "non-starting player" when we need him to be starting?

And Hill's struggles are yet more evidence staring us in the face of bad organizational decision-making hurting this team. And Hill has had multiple recent screwups. Exactly when would be a good time to talk about these things?

Your posts are coming across as more 'fan defense mechanism' stuff. Don't want to talk about the tough stuff.

What is there talk about? I'm agreeing with you. I wanna know what should they do about fixing the problem. Isn't that what we want?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is there talk about? I'm agreeing with you. I wanna know what should they do about fixing the problem. Isn't that what we want?

I'll give it to you straight. It serves exactly the same purpose as you posting every bit of 'happy news' that you can find does. There is every bit 'as much' to talk about in negative news as positive news. Both are equally news.

And if you can't or don't want to talk about the negative stuff, don't.

I'm actually capable of discussing everything. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Because you're focused on ONE player ( non-starter ) on a team that has 22 starters.......