News: PFT: Who’s the best running back in the NFL?

NewsBot

Reaction score
With plenty of young running backs getting it done during the 2016 NFL season, it’s a good time to stick a finger in the wind regarding the best of the league’s current tailbacks. That Monday’s question of the day on PFT Live. Vote for one of the choices in the poll appearing below, make your…http://youwillnotrackme2.net/b.gif?host=profootballtalk.nbcsports.com&blog=&post=2419793&subd=nbcprofootballtalk&ref=&feed=1

Continue reading...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke is still number one in rushing yards as of right now and I doubt any RB playing tonight will change that.

Pretty impressive considering he had a week off.

Don't know if that makes him the best RB in the league, it does make him number one in total yards, number one in runs over 20 yards, number one in carries resulting in first downs and tied 3rd for TDs. Again...all with having the week off.

dbonham

Reaction score
1. Bell (ignoring off field)
2. Zeke
3. Johnson

Bell is just next level when it comes to vision, patience, quickness and receiving. If Zeke ever reaches his level in those areas he'll be the perfect back.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
1) Laveon Bell
2) David Johnson
3) Todd Gurley
4) Shady McCoy
5) Ezekiel Elliott

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
  1. That guy from Miami who has been impressive as all get out

Jay Ajayi. A lot of people wanted him in the draft a couple years ago. The issue with him is a degenerative knee issue like Leary. No one knows how long he'll be able to play.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I go:

1) Laveon Bell
2) Ezekiel Elliott
3) David Johnson
4) Todd Gurley

The rest can be argued for 5 and below

I like that list although I may put David Johnson ahead of Zeke.

What I like about Zeke over other RB's is that he has such natural RB instincts. There is no real hole in his game.

He's amazing between the tackles... He's so smooth when he cuts and uses his vision to get what is there consistently.

He's like a dart.. He just scoots from spot to spot on the field.

You really wont find a more natural looking RB than Zeke Elliot.. In that way he reminds me of Emmitt.

You forget the guy is 230 pounds because he is just out there skating but he can run behind his pads too.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
After balancing out for offensive line (Zeke's is obviously better than Gurley's) and ignoring off-field nonsense.

1. David Johnson - Gets in the endzone. Equally dangerous via run or pass.

2. LeSean McCoy - Still dangerous when given the opportunity. Won't have many fans around here since he's a former Eagle, but McCoy is what people were expecting Reggie Bush to be.

3. Ezekiel Elliott - Well rounded and buoyed by offensive line. Good catcher, but hasn't done much damage there yet.

4. Le'Veon Bell - Patient and very well rounded. I almost want to remove him for his off-field stuff though. Has only played 10 games over the last two years, so far.

5. Lamar Miller - Perpetually underutilized, and his team is terrible. I don't know if he'd be as good as Zeke if he had our offensive line, but he'd be talked about more.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Jay Ajayi. A lot of people wanted him in the draft a couple years ago. The issue with him is a degenerative knee issue like Leary. No one knows how long he'll be able to play.

Yes, I was ready for Dallas to take him in the second round until the knee issue was brought up. Still would have taken him in the fourth.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Yes, I was ready for Dallas to take him in the second round until the knee issue was brought up. Still would have taken him in the fourth.

Ajayi is running the air out of the ball now.

My top 3 would be Bell, Elliot and Johnson. Gurley is big and fast but i'm not as impressed with him. Maybe i need to watch more of him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Bell is clearly no 1,with our Oline he would smash all records.

How do you figure that? He's playing behind an OL that's ranked just behind our OL and his best season was 1361 yards on 344 carries and has a 4.4 career rushing average. He's only had one 1000 yard season in 4 years. Not saying he's not a real good back but I've been more impressed with some of the runs I've seen from Zeke than with Bell. Bell has missed a lot of games over his career.

erod

Reaction score
There isn't a back in the league as well-rounded as Zeke Elliott, except for Adrian Peterson.

Craig

Reaction score
1. Bell (ignoring off field)
2. Zeke
3. Johnson

Bell is just next level when it comes to vision, patience, quickness and receiving. If Zeke ever reaches his level in those areas he'll be the perfect back.
These are the only 3 i will consider an argument for. If we are just considering ability and ignoring availability then im not sure there is any legitimate argument against Bell.

thekavorka

Reaction score
I'd still put David Johnson and Bell above zeke. Johnson and Bell are more versatile since they run pretty good routes. They sometimes line up in the slot or out wide. We tried running a slant with Zeke out of the slot in the GB game, but his route running needs to be improved.

FaSho

Reaction score
1. Bell
2. Zeke
3. Johnson
4. Gurley (O-line is the issue, not him)
5. McCoy
6. Murray