News: PFT: Who’s the best running back in the NFL?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Well, that's a lot of disconnected thoughts. Let's see...He had that season in 2014, he was having an excellent season in 2015, and he's having an excellent season this year. The only issue he has is staying on the field.
Yes, which has exactly nothing to do with how good each one is right now. (Plus, the Steelers OL was a disaster in Bell's rookie year, what with Pouncey out for the season and other problems)So Zeke gets credit for being a great fit behind our OL, but Bell gets downgraded for being a great fit in his offense. Got it.
I have no idea where the Christine Michael stuff comes from. He got all of 15 carries for us, busted with 3 teams and looks anything but solid in Seattle this year (he's doing his typical fade after getting everyone's hopes up, totaling 52-174-3.3 his last three games).

I'm not downgrading Bell because he's a great fit in his offense, that comment was directed at the poster who said Bell would break all kinds of records behind our OL. That's a pretty good slam against Zeke who has a chance of breaking Eric Dickerson's rookie rushing record with a rookie QB at the helm and our #1 receiver out the past 3 games. Zeke had a big game with Tyron out a couple of weeks ago. The facts are Bell has had one solid season and has a 4.4 career rushing average.

As for CMike he only got 15 carries because he obviously didn't impress in practice to receive more carries. We had a need at RB with Randle being released but he did little with the 15 carries he got. With Seattle this season he's averaged 4.2 a carry and has 4 TD's which is one more TD than McFadden scored for us all of last season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I have no idea where the Christine Michael stuff comes from. He got all of 15 carries for us, busted with 3 teams and looks anything but solid in Seattle this year (he's doing his typical fade after getting everyone's hopes up, totaling 52-174-3.3 his last three games).

How is averaging 4.2 a carry and scoring 4 TD's not considered at least solid? He also had a 41 yard TD run in week 3.

erod

Reaction score
Peterson in his day was the best back in the game, but his pass protection and receiving skills are not elite. His protection problems have had him sitting on 3rd downs a good chuck of his career.

That's part of it, but he's not terrible in that regard. He was getting way too many touches with that slew of awful quarterbacks he had for years, they had to save some wear and tear where they could.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How is averaging 4.2 a carry and scoring 4 TD's not considered at least solid? He also had a 41 yard TD run in week 3.
Yeah, he had a good game in week 3 against the 49ers, a team that gave up 300 yards rushing to the Bills, 250 to the Bucs and 200 to us. That's the only game where he's managed as many as 70 yards on the ground. His last three games, when he started playing stronger run defenses, he's been horrible. The OL up there isn't doing him any favors, but he's a mediocre back who had a couple decent games against poor run defenses.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Peterson has had 240 catches for 1944 yards and 5 TD's as a receiver. He's certainly not bad as a receiver but he's been so effective as a rusher he hasn't been needed as a receiver that often. A lot of times a pass to an RB is an extended handoff when you're having trouble running the ball.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah, he had a good game in week 3 against the 49ers, a team that gave up 300 yards rushing to the Bills, 250 to the Bucs and 200 to us. That's the only game where he's managed as many as 70 yards on the ground. His last three games, when he started playing stronger run defenses, he's been horrible. The OL up there isn't doing him any favors, but he's a mediocre back who had a couple decent games against poor run defenses.

Say what you will but he's averaging 4.2 a carry this season, has a 41 yard TD run and has scored 4 TD's. Spin it anyway you want but that's not bad. No one is saying he's a great back, he's average but he has looked better for Seattle than he did with us despite our OL. We wouldn't have gotten rid of him and signed Morris and drafted Zeke if we felt it was the lack of opportunities that made him ineffective. He obviously wasn't a good fit for us which is more proof that regardless how good your OL is, the back matters.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's part of it, but he's not terrible in that regard. He was getting way too many touches with that slew of awful quarterbacks he had for years, they had to save some wear and tear where they could.

He's a weapon in space anytime you can get him the ball, so it's not like he can't be effective in the passing game, but he's not elite in pass pro, his catch rate is something they've worked on him with for years, and he doesn't run well out of the shotgun, which is one of Teddy's favorite formations. That combination has kept him on the bench for too many 3rd downs, given what an elite player he is.

I think the world of Peterson. It's just that he's more super-elite as a runner and in open space and that other areas of his game have legit limitations. Elliott, on the other hand, to his credit, is a really good all-around back. Though even with Elliott, we've yet to see him excel at route running like we heard so much about coming out of college. For someone who was supposedly able to run the whole tree and had the football smarts to be a reliable option for QBs from day one, he's been pretty much restricted to the screen game so far. I'm not complaining, as that's a part of his game I'd have expected to take the longest to develop, but it's the one area I'd say he's not-as-advertised just yet. Still, an all-around impressive back, though.

rkell87

Reaction score
I'm not going to attempt a ranking but I damn sure know that there aren't 5 backs in the league getter than AP, you guys have lost your mind.

erod

Reaction score
He's a weapon in space anytime you can get him the ball, so it's not like he can't be effective in the passing game, but he's not elite in pass pro, his catch rate is something they've worked on him with for years, and he doesn't run well out of the shotgun, which is one of Teddy's favorite formations. That combination has kept him on the bench for too many 3rd downs, given what an elite player he is.

I think the world of Peterson. It's just that he's more super-elite as a runner and in open space and that other areas of his game have legit limitations. Elliott, on the other hand, to his credit, is a really good all-around back. Though even with Elliott, we've yet to see him excel at route running like we heard so much about coming out of college. For someone who was supposedly able to run the whole tree and had the football smarts to be a reliable option for QBs from day one, he's been pretty much restricted to the screen game so far. I'm not complaining, as that's a part of his game I'd have expected to take the longest to develop, but it's the one area I'd say he's not-as-advertised just yet. Still, an all-around impressive back, though.

What's hilariously ironic is that Dallas screwed Minnesota blind with the Herschel Walker trade, and the Vikings could absolutely have gotten Jerry to bite on AP for a decent price, and now look......

LOL. You think they want a do-over?

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
My article on the subject --

In today’s modern day NFL of split carries, 3rd down backs, and pass-first offenses, finding a complete running back that impacts a game in every way is a rarity. Because of this, the running back position has seemingly been diminished in recent years. In 2013 and 2014, there were no running backs selected in the first round of the NFL Draft, the first time in over 50 years.

Enter Arizona Cardinals running back David Johnson, the 86th overall pick in last year’s NFL Draft.

If you were to tell me three years ago that the best running back in the National Football League would be from Clinton, Iowa and I would have told you to bet on it. In just his second year in the league, David Johnson, from the University of Northern Iowa, is proving to be just that – the best overall running back in football.

Through seven games, Johnson leads the NFL in yards from scrimmage with 1,004, leads the league in rushing touchdowns with eight, is second in the league in rushing with 681 yards, and has 28 catches for 323 yards. He plays with a great deal of patience when running laterally on zone stretch plays. When he sees his hole, he is able to put a foot in the ground and get up field in a hurry. He can make you miss in the open field with agility and acceleration. He’s able tolower his shoulder and pick up tough yards in short yardage situations, and he has the breakaway speed to take it to the house on any play.

Cardinals General Manager Steve Keim called Johnson the best running back he’s ever seen before the season started. Like, ever. He got a lot of flack for that, but so far this season, DJ is carrying that claim on his shoulders. Keim has been with the Cardinals since 1999, and has seen plenty of talented running backs in the desert, ranging from Edgerrin James to former 2,000 yard rusher Chris Johnson.

There aren’t too many every-down running backs in the NFL. Le’Veon Bell, and Ezekiel Elliot are the only two who have the complete ability that Johnson has. All three have the speed to bounce the ball to the outside and get to the edge for a big gain, as well as the power to run between the tackles. In Sunday night’s game, Johnson carried the ball 33 times for 113 yards against the always-physical Seattle defense. While the numbers aren’t eye-popping, the ability to lower your shoulder against the Seahawks vaunted defense and get the tough yards in the NFL cannot be overstated. Seattle doesn’t allow 100 yard rushers very often either.

However, what set’s apart Johnson from both Bell and Elliot is his ability as a receiver.

Some running backs are adept at catching the ball out of the backfield as a check down. Johnson does that, but turns those check downs into chunk plays, and also has the ability to run a legit route tree, as he is often split out as a wide receiver as well.

Johnson is second among all running backs in both catches and receiving yards with 28 and 323 respectively — seven receiving yards behind co-2015 draft mate Tevin Coleman. He also averages a staggering 11.5 yards per reception as a running back.

It makes sense. After all, Johnson was recruited by The University of Northern Iowa to play wide receiver. Overlooked by in-state power Kirk Ferentz and the Iowa Hawkeyes, Northern Iowa was one of the few schools who offered him a scholarship. He redshirted his freshman season, and played both defense and wide receiver. Not until a fellow running back was unable to practice did Johnson fill in at the position, and the rest is history. UNI offensive coordinator Chris Klieman called up Johnson’s old high school coach for insight, and they had found their star playmaker.

It worked.

In the 2014 opener against in-state powerhouse Iowa, Johnson rattled off 203 receiving yards, torching the Hawkeye defense including stars like 2015 Jim Thorpe award winner Desmond King. Iowa simply did not have an answer for Johnson though the air, both on check downs and downfield, and barely escaped with a narrow 31-23 win over the FCS Panthers, thanks to a late interception from the UNI quarterback.

Johnson finished his collegiate career at UNI with 5,856 yards from scrimmage and 63 touchdowns.

His threat as both a runner and receiver has him being compared to Marshall Faulk. Faulk might have had more moves, but Johnson has more power. However, the overall dual threat ability comparison is spot on. Both also have a nose for the end zone. Johnson set a Cardinals rookie record scoring 13 touchdowns last year, one more than Faulk’s 12 touchdowns in his 1993 rookie season.

In just his sophomore campaign, DJ already plays like a seasoned vet — patient, balanced, and with great vision that is unheard of for a player this young. It looks like Johnson’s going to run unlucky defenders over, but routinely speeds past them with acceleration that is on par with anyone in the NFL. Pair these with a quick jump cut and WR caliber hands and you’ve got yourself a superstar.

However, ability is just piece of the puzzle in regards to success at the NFL level. There have been tons of names over the years that have the ability, but either don’t have the mentality or work ethic to combine the two. Johnson has a small town Iowa attitude and work ethic. In college, he spent time working manual labor jobs such as construction and janitorial work, working 40 hours per week on campus during the summers. His first year at Northern Iowa, he had a job removing asbestos from old buildings. Yet he didn’t complain.

His former high school coach, Lee Camp said that Johnson is the type of guy you “trust with your keys and wallet,” praising his ability as a positive person and someone who’s “always smiling.”

He married his college sweetheart in April of this year, and the two are expecting their first child together. While football is front and center that most people see, Johnson has a good head on his shoulders, saying that marriage and family life is bigger than football.

“That’s a true blessing, and I’m so excited to be married and then to start our own family and be a dad,” he said. “I’m a little nervous but we’ll have to see. I might have to read a couple books to be ready for that.”

He has opposing defensive coordinators reading books to try to find ways to slow him down that’s for sure. He has the character, the work ethic, and the superstar ability. We’re one game shy of halfway through the season, and Johnson is on pace 2,295 total yards and 18 touchdowns, which would undoubtedly lead the league, and put him in the ranks of an all-time great season.

A superstar from small-school UNI to the best overall running back in the NFL in just two years. That’s David Johnson.

http://thesportsbrotherhood.com/201...mall-town-to-big-time-nfls-best-running-back/

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's hilariously ironic is that Dallas screwed Minnesota blind with the Herschel Walker trade, and the Vikings could absolutely have gotten Jerry to bite on AP for a decent price, and now look......

LOL. You think they want a do-over?

We were talking about it last offseason, and people wanted to cough up last years #1 for him. I, personally, hate the idea of spending high picks on a RB and was willing to consider a #2 for him--what ended up being Jaylon Smith. Just think what the impacts of those trades could have been. Craziness, in retrospect.

erod

Reaction score
We were talking about it last offseason, and people wanted to cough up last years #1 for him. I, personally, hate the idea of spending high picks on a RB and was willing to consider a #2 for him--what ended up being Jaylon Smith. Just think what the impacts of those trades could have been. Craziness, in retrospect.

I wanted AP, but that's before I thought there was a great chance to get Zeke. And now that I've seen the power side of Zeke's game, which I wasn't really attuned to, I'm much happier with a younger elite back now.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Zeke is carrying this team right now. I am not a Zeke homer or anything, but he has elevated the play of the whole team. Can he do it the whole season? That is my only question, but he is the perfect back for this offense right now. He is also improving and expanding his role.

David Johnson is exceptional. We just don't ask Elliot to do the same things that he does. He is a better receiver than a pure RB. That's what he does for the Cardinals and their offense that scored 6 points last night. I'm sure Elliot could do that too. Gurley and Ajayi are excellent backs also. I wanted Ajayi when he fell to the fourth round and even more in the 5th.

What we do ask Elliot and the OL line to do, is force our will upon the opposing defense. Just like the nineties with Emmitt, teams knew what play we were running and just couldn't stop it, also reminiscent of the 60's Packers.

There can be nothing more defeating than knowing what the offense is going to do, and realizing that there is no way to stop it. Ground into pulp. If you have never played football, it is the most demoralizing experience you can encounter in a football game. Make no mistake about it, their Offense is sitting on the sideline watching and they are thinking the same thing.

As a Cowboys fan and for this offense, Elliot is the no.1 in the league until proven otherwise. I don't care what records he attains this year, but I love the fact that teams are dreading having to play us.