News: PFT: Will football fans embrace the XFL?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I saw a good review of the XFL on Youtube. I liked how they set up the kickoffs! I want to check it out. Where can I see the XFL?

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
They should consider moving the games to Mondays and Thursdays.

Too many distractions, too much competition during the weekends

:cool:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I saw parts of the Dallas game. I like the kickoff for player safety and I like the options after scoring a TD. Running back talent seems ok, but you can clearly see the lack of talent at QB. Doubt i'll watch much on saturdays but on sundays i'll tune in while i'm doing other stuff.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The only way this works is if they can get a partnership with reality tv to build the players profiles like the UFC did.

The NFL has college as a feeder so when guys like Zeke, Burrows, Mayfield and other college stars come out everybody is interested.

When it’s red team vs blue team and you don’t know anybody it’s hard to care.

Well, Jim Jeffcoat is the DL coach of the Dallas Renegades.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Seeing how the original XFL lasted only one season and had games televised on NBC, UPN and TNN and went bankrupt so quickly and I don't see the top talent going to the XFL so it will be another failed attempt for another football league.
I knew the original league was in trouble once it was clear Tommy Maddox was their best player. He did go on to have a nice little run with the Steelers afterward if I remember correctly.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
I was surprised the production value was so good ....... Looked better than a college broadcast.

Talent wise they are what I expected.

I have to say watching 3 games this weekend IF they can get there WR and TE's to catch the dang ball it might be a interesting game to watch, seems more like high flying college offenses than in NFL right now.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the XFL. It's not Vince's XFL. It's football. These players ball hard. Are they NFL level? Some could be. Some not. But, still good football and I loved the games this past weekend.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I knew the original league was in trouble once it was clear Tommy Maddox was their best player. He did go on to have a nice little run with the Steelers afterward if I remember correctly.

There was him and there was a RB that in that original XFL his name on the back of his jersey was He Hate Me, Rod Smart, and he played a couple, seasons in the NFL and CFL after the XFL folded.

clff15701

Reaction score
They need better QBs. The Tampa game was brutal. The DC and Houston games were pretty good. Also, the RBs arent up to par.

CapnCook

Reaction score
It was decent. The kickoff is a keeper. The NFL already basically killed the onside kick, so losing that in the XFL's format is no biggie. Gone is the touchback, all while keeping player safety in mind. Great solution.

The NFL could use at least a little poke from even some minor competition.

Enjoyed watching on FOX. ESPN's coverage was horrid and risks making a mockery of the game. Series of plays with no play-by-play while some off-screen analyst goes on about something or another. It was like NASCAR with constant commentating and mic-ins. The production style was not suited to football.

Overall, a much better incarnation.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I forgot they were even playing this past weekend. Chances are I will watch some games. It would be very hard to have the same passion of a new league or team as I do the NFL and Cowboys. A relationship that dates back to 1965

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I will say that, though I don't think there's really an appetite for lower quality football, the XFL is at least doing some unique/different things that should make it more entertaining.

The AAF was horrible b/c it just tried to be a worse version of the NFL. The XFL is pivoting from that some, and at least initially should be more entertaining than other leagues.
I thought the kickoffs were kind of cool.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I've said before that any of these groups that want to start up a new league have to be able to take a huge loss on the product for at least 10 years. Most football fans have been fans of their team for a long time. There are rivalries and a history. This is new. There is no connection to any team. My city has a team so at least I have someone I can root for if for no other reason. I'll try and watch, but I'm not going to change plans around to see the game or anything like that. If I miss it, I miss it.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Uh no. I give this league 1 year. The only way this would have any chance is if they affiliated each team with an NFL team and made it into a developmental thing.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Uh no. I give this league 1 year. The only way this would have any chance is if they affiliated each team with an NFL team and made it into a developmental thing.
Vince McMahon has said he'll fund it for 3 years. The NFL will never allow a developmental league because it costs too much to maintain. That's why NFL Europe failed.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't speak for fans but for me, NO. Bad timing, just got off a 5 month season, should have caught me before that when I was hungry.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I will watch, simply because there is dead time on the weekends and outside of golf when Tiger is contending, there really isn't that much out there that is must watch sports programming. If I am sitting on the couch or at the table working....football makes a good noise distraction. More than anything, I can't believe it has been 19 years since the original XFL. I would have guessed less than 10. I am clearly getting old. One thing doesn't seem to change....Dallas team is hyped and underperforms.