News: PFT: Will football fans embrace the XFL?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Nah- be lucky to make it through the year.

It'll make it through the year. Unlike the failed Alliance, the XFL actually has TV contracts with major networks and they've got billionaire Vince McMahon.

aikemirv

Reaction score
It'll make it through the year. Unlike the failed Alliance, the XFL actually has TV contracts with major networks and they've got billionaire Vince McMahon.
I was going to preface that with I did not know how much money was behind it.....

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I never watched the XFL but from what I heard they made the game as violent as possible to attract fans. Punt returner couldn’t fair catch punts. Player safety wasn’t at the top of the list with that league.

Dre11

Reaction score
I like all forms of football. sure I'll watch.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Football fans like the idea of more football. But do they really want more football? The next experiment begins in only two days. The XFL is back, after a 19-year absence. Fueled by the reality that people who will be placing legal sports wagers will need more sports on which to wager plus an investment [more]

Continue reading...

Seeing how the original XFL lasted only one season and had games televised on NBC, UPN and TNN and went bankrupt so quickly and I don't see the top talent going to the XFL so it will be another failed attempt for another football league.

erod

Reaction score
No.

Football for the sake of football is not hardly enough. You needs teams with histories and legends.

Otherwise there's just no context. It's just the green team versus the red team.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
No embrace at this end. In addition to the failure of the AAF, the Arena Football League folded in 2019 after 33 years of operation where money was also an issue. The XFL certainly has an uphill climb ahead of it. Eventually, it too will fold.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
i’m tired of football now after the super bowl and college. now i am more interested in basketball and baseball spring training start this month. also hockey is going on. they need to make these other football leagues start later...after the nba and nhl seasons and before training camp or something maybe.

I get that you don't want anymore football now but your after the NBA and before training camp would make that league just a 6 or 7 week league. The NBA championship usually finally gets decided the 1st week in June and training camps usually start the 3rd week in July. As it is all of the 4 major sports league overlap on 2 or more of each other. There is a time in the late fall when the NFL, NBA and NHL are all playing games. In the late spring the MLB, NBA and NHL are all playing. This is where people decide which is their favorite sport and prioritize what they are going to watch.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I know some people there is no such thing as too much football but there is. It was football non stop from end of August until just a few days ago. That is enough for me. Especially when you follow NFL, college and high school. A break is always good. NBA and NHL is about to hit their groove. I follow the NBA all season but even more now that NFL is done. NCAA basketball is close to the conference tournaments and then the big tournament. MLB starts next month. I belive the Summer Olympics are this year. The season is about to change to spring. It's time for football to take the back burner to the other sports.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
XFL games will be shown on ABC, ESPN and Fox. That’s at least one leg up but the XFL will only survive if it’s entertaining enough to keep the attention of casual fans. I just don’t see the league attracting the viewership of enough hard-core NFL fans.
This is why I will watch it. I don`t watch basketball, hockey or baseball regularly because for the majority of the games you need cable to do so. I cut the cord years ago to save over $1000 yearly. It will be nice to have a sport to watch in between now and prior to NFL camps starting up.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I will say that, though I don't think there's really an appetite for lower quality football, the XFL is at least doing some unique/different things that should make it more entertaining.

The AAF was horrible b/c it just tried to be a worse version of the NFL. The XFL is pivoting from that some, and at least initially should be more entertaining than other leagues.

The AAF wasn't trying to be a version of the NFL. The AAF was trying to rekindle what the AFL started back in 1987 though the 2018 seasons. The whole idea of the AFL was to have an indoor football league that was designed as a offensive showcase. That's why the scores were usually in the 50's and 60's. It was a venue for many players who weren't good enough to make a NFL team to continue to play football. I only watch a couple games when it first started. It hung around for 22 year and at one point had it's own developmental league called AF2. It was never intended to be another NFL, just an alternative to the NFL during the time the NFL wasn't playing.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Football fans like the idea of more football. But do they really want more football? The next experiment begins in only two days. The XFL is back, after a 19-year absence. Fueled by the reality that people who will be placing legal sports wagers will need more sports on which to wager plus an investment [more]

Continue reading...
I’ll be watching

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I'll try to catch some of the games this weekend out of curiosity, but I'm honestly expecting very little.

Post- NFL season football has never worked. The USFL failed. NFL Europe (eventually) failed. The first XFL failed. The Alliance last year failed. Next!!!